Anyone has the Moto Tote? - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Towing / Transport Discussion of Trailers, Wheel Chocks, Tie-Downs, Ramps, etc for Transporting Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 Old 01-09-2005, 6:49 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 16

Anyone has the Moto Tote?

I have a Grand Caravan with a Class 3 trailer hitch. I am thinking of getting the Moto Tote for my '03 954rr. Seems like the weight will be right up there to the max - 90lbs + 400lbs bike.

Any opinion will be helpful.

Moto tote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 01-09-2005, 7:26 PM

Reputation Power: 0

Re: Anyone has the Moto Tote?

Motorcycle Daily is a trusted enthusiast website. Here's their less than glowing review.

http://www.motorcycledaily.com/26may04_mototote.htm
post #3 of 20 Old 01-09-2005, 7:42 PM

Reputation Power: 19

Just think of this

400 lbs of bike haning off of a 2 inch piece of square tubing......

at about 8 to nine inches away........

I would not trust this what so ever.....

I would also tell you that you need to treat the hitch as tonque weight since you do not have a set of wheels distributing the load....

A Grand Caravan, with a 400 lb tonque weight...... hmmmm

Lover of all small woodland creatures.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 Old 01-09-2005, 8:30 PM

Reputation Power: 15

discussed this on another forum....

the biggest problem i have with this thing is not just the tongue weight, it's the bike's weight at the tongue, "increasing" with up and down movement of the vehicle.

400 lbs will register higher on a scale, if you bounce it up and down. lighter on the ups.....but much heavier on the downs..........

IMHO, even a cheapo-trailer from Harbor Freight with a U-Channel bolted to it would be safer and better than the tote-thingy.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...441&pricetype=

i've seen them, and for the money, they're not too shabby.........
post #5 of 20 Old 01-09-2005, 9:11 PM

Reputation Power: 18

I have this trailer 12 years now. It probably has 30k miles on it. I have had a sportbike and a small cruiser on it. I have also had 3 training bikes on it. I just put tires on it this fall, dry rot, not wear. With the deck and all I have added, its about 240lbs. It's a Harbor Freight model. Just make sure you get the 12in tires.
https://www.fireblades.org/forums/att...achmentid=2984
https://www.fireblades.org/forums/att...achmentid=3535

CBR Bob
TeamPromotion Coach#29TPM
Rider Ed. of N.J. Inc. Senior RiderCoachRENJ
post #6 of 20 Old 01-09-2005, 10:29 PM

Back around '63 to '74 my fruit orchards became sort of spread around. So with channel iron & a bit extra I built a way of carrying a small dirt m/c on the front.

It was something for people simply did not ride m/cs in this area. So there I would be with the tractor pulling a 300 gal sprayer & the bike at the front. At the point, unload the bike & put on the rest of my protective gear, then I would be spraying, & if the wind came up, it was leave tractor & sprayer there to ride home & to get into possibly thinning or what ever.

Now that was a sturdy mount & within a year I had picked up a trailer to hitch onto my Jeep & it would carry up to 3 dirt comp irons. Honked all over B.C. Province here in Cdn along with some in Alberta to compete in comp events.

Keep wondering if I should rebuild that with broader channels, for the tyres of my 929 & 954 though it would be costly with new wheels, & such as well plus someway to roll the sportbikes on & off by myself without dragging the bottom of the fairing.
post #7 of 20 Old 01-17-2005, 11:33 AM

I own an M3 and it works great. I hauled a '99 Honda CR250 to and from Houston - Colorado Springs w/ zero bending or other problems. Then I used it for another 2yrs. once a week to and from the track 30 min. trip each way. It looks to me like the guy in the article has a weak receiver hitch.
post #8 of 20 Old 06-21-2008, 12:08 AM

I'm reviving a thread from January 2005. My question is about the "sport" model of the moto-tote. Anyone have any input on this thing? The website claims a rated weight of 600 lbs. Motorcycles And Dirt Bike Carriers, Scooter Hauler, Motorcycle Carrier Hitch That would make my old suburban one hell of a track-day tool. There's one for sale in my town for a very reasonable price (much less than any towing solution from harbor freight).

If no one knows I'll probably buy it and let you all know what I think.
post #9 of 20 Old 06-21-2008, 12:16 AM
Global Moderator

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 25

A friend of mine has one for his dirt bike, I feel it makes the rear of the vehicle squat too much. To me it is unsafe, you are driving downt he road with the front of the vehicle raised which can impact handling and braking. It is just too much weight on the tongue.

Look at what the manufacturer rates the tongue weight for and then how mich your bike and the tote will weigh.
post #10 of 20 Old 06-21-2008, 12:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lanbrown View Post
A friend of mine has one for his dirt bike, I feel it makes the rear of the vehicle squat too much. To me it is unsafe, you are driving downt he road with the front of the vehicle raised which can impact handling and braking. It is just too much weight on the tongue.

Look at what the manufacturer rates the tongue weight for and then how mich your bike and the tote will weigh.
I agree that the tongue weight is important. I'd be suprised if my 89 suburban couldn't handle the 475 lbs that I would be giving it. I think the truck weighs weighs about 23 tons.

I'm just wondering if anyone with the "sport" model has had any issues with the product bending or failing with a sport bike on it.
post #11 of 20 Old 06-21-2008, 6:11 AM

I saw one of these being used on the freeway yesterday and it looked like the carrier was working great, no visible wobble.
The 'Sport' version seems like it must be built beefier if it is rated at 600lbs. If you already have a truck set up for towing I don't see the problem. I have airbags and even though my truck is rated at 500 lbs tongue weight the bags make it ride better.
I could rig up tallights for a lot less than $65 and a little time with a welder would solve any wobbling issues. I can see it being hard to build the perfect hitch carrier for every different type of motorcycle out there so a little modification shouldn't be unexpected.
post #12 of 20 Old 06-21-2008, 6:22 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 26

My 2000 K-3500 Long Box Crew Cab with 6.5 turbo diesel would not notice there was a bike back there. But the ramp would be kinda short.
post #13 of 20 Old 06-21-2008, 1:01 PM
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06CBR1KMFNRR View Post
I agree that the tongue weight is important. I'd be suprised if my 89 suburban couldn't handle the 475 lbs that I would be giving it. I think the truck weighs weighs about 23 tons.

I'm just wondering if anyone with the "sport" model has had any issues with the product bending or failing with a sport bike on it.
The carrier is nearly 100 pounds by itself. Your bike should be over 400 pounds, so you have a weight of over 500 pounds.

Your truck doesn't weight 23 tons; which would be 46,000 pounds. I think you mean 2.3 tons or 4,600 pounds. It is not the weight but the placement of the weight that matters here.
post #14 of 20 Old 06-21-2008, 1:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lanbrown View Post
The carrier is nearly 100 pounds by itself. Your bike should be over 400 pounds, so you have a weight of over 500 pounds.

Your truck doesn't weight 23 tons; which would be 46,000 pounds. I think you mean 2.3 tons or 4,600 pounds. It is not the weight but the placement of the weight that matters here.
Are you sure? I think it's 23 tons. It's also 400 feet long and has 8000 horsepower.

It was a joke.

I was trying to point out that the long wheelbase and overall weight of the vehicle would make it well-suited for heavy tongue weights.
post #15 of 20 Old 06-21-2008, 1:42 PM
Global Moderator

Not always the case. The wheelbase doesn't matter as much as putting the weight over the rear axle. This is why fifth wheels are so stable. Vehicles like the BMW X5 were also good towing vehicles because of the short overhang. GM likes long overhangs and at the rear, can cause issues with towing.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > General Motorcycling > Towing / Transport

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page