Building a trailer, need suggestions - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Towing / Transport Discussion of Trailers, Wheel Chocks, Tie-Downs, Ramps, etc for Transporting Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 01-23-2005, 11:10 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

Building a trailer, need suggestions

I am considering building a trailer, and figured the more input the better. It will be 8' wide x 12' or 14', single axle with fold down door and curbside walk door. I need enough space for 2 or 3 bikes and all the gear. I would like to build a couple fold down bunks, so I can sleep in it. The things I'm not sure about are, v nose or square? Should I wire it for 110 or 12 volts? Buy an ezup or put a roll up awning on the trailer? Toolboxes or built in cabinets? D rings or track on the floor? Any tips or suggestions for setup would be great. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 01-23-2005, 11:30 PM

Reputation Power: 48

Send a message via AIM to sheepofblue
Re: Building a trailer, need suggestions

Quote:
Originally Posted by half
I am considering building a trailer, and figured the more input the better. It will be 8' wide x 12' or 14', single axle with fold down door and curbside walk door. I need enough space for 2 or 3 bikes and all the gear. I would like to build a couple fold down bunks, so I can sleep in it. The things I'm not sure about are, v nose or square? Should I wire it for 110 or 12 volts? Buy an ezup or put a roll up awning on the trailer? Toolboxes or built in cabinets? D rings or track on the floor? Any tips or suggestions for setup would be great. Thanks
As someone that is looking I was told that one foot of width is like two of length on towing. You might consider a 7x16 rather than a 8x12
Also you might consider a 12 volt system with an inverter from 110. That way if you have 110 available you can save batteries and maybe run higher load items like AC, heat or a compressor other wise you lighting still works.

Must obey the sheep dog
post #3 of 7 Old 01-24-2005, 2:35 AM

If your going to build it that big, put double axls on it, one with electric brakes. ITs going to be too heavy for one, even a 5k. And it will tow a whole lot better.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 01-24-2005, 5:05 AM

Reputation Power: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Force Junkie
If your going to build it that big, put double axls on it, one with electric brakes. ITs going to be too heavy for one, even a 5k. And it will tow a whole lot better.
Absolutely! They won't sell anything larger than a 6x12 without dual axles and brakes, so you probably should build one without those 2 things. When I bought my 7x14, brakes were required, and there weren't any with single axles.
post #5 of 7 Old 01-24-2005, 10:08 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the input guys. You are probably right about the using tandem axles instead of a single. I just hate the thought of using 14 or 15 inch wheels. I have an 8k axle with 16 inch wheels laying around that I was going to use, but I may have to reconsider.
post #6 of 7 Old 01-25-2005, 8:47 AM
Sponsor

Reputation Power: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by half
Thanks for the input guys. You are probably right about the using tandem axles instead of a single. I just hate the thought of using 14 or 15 inch wheels. I have an 8k axle with 16 inch wheels laying around that I was going to use, but I may have to reconsider.

I would think unless you have most of the stuff to build it already, it would be cheaper to buy a used 7X14 and then put the stuff in it you want. I carry 2 bikes/generator/gear/big cooler, easily in my 6X12. I'm putting a tool cabinet on the floor in front of the right bike with a cabinet above it. We have carried 3 bikes in our 7X14 and all gear, and that wasnt a problem either. Our 7X14 has dual axle and electric brakes.
post #7 of 7 Old 01-25-2005, 12:12 PM Thread Starter

I do have most of the material and all the tools to build it. My primary reason for building my own is quality. I haven't really found any trailers that are built the way I would. I am sure I can find one cheaper than I can build, but so far I am not very impressed by the quality.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > General Motorcycling > Towing / Transport

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page