2000 GMC Sierra Trailer wiring - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Towing / Transport Discussion of Trailers, Wheel Chocks, Tie-Downs, Ramps, etc for Transporting Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 Old 01-27-2005, 10:36 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 48

Send a message via AIM to sheepofblue
2000 GMC Sierra Trailer wiring

OK so I have a six wire and need to go seven to the new trailer. I have a brake controller plug under the dash and a six wire harness to the back. Is it possible to replace the 6 wire with a 7 wire from the dealer or is this a major mistake to even think about?

Thanks

Must obey the sheep dog
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 01-27-2005, 11:56 PM
Supporting Member

Reputation Power: 34

Re: 2000 GMC Sierra Trailer wiring

edit: nevermind.

what kind of trailer is it? does it have interior utilities that require the 7th wire or is that just how it came?

edit2: Click Me if you don't mind a trip to walmart. actually link is weird, reference part ## R74645

Last edited by SomeStrangeGuy; 01-28-2005 at 12:07 AM.
post #3 of 15 Old 01-28-2005, 12:15 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeStrangeGuy
edit: nevermind.

what kind of trailer is it? does it have interior utilities that require the 7th wire or is that just how it came?

edit2: Click Me if you don't mind a trip to walmart. actually link is weird, reference part ## R74645
The trailer comes with 7 wires, I will know more when I look at the docs and get the meter out etc. So I would need a 6 to 7 (not seen one yet). However I think the seventh wire is for charging the brake battery and maybe lights. The truck comes stock with a 6 wire harness to the back however there is an option of 7. I thought there is a chance that it is wired and I just need to get the other harness from GMC.

Anyway I am figuring it out and thought a site member might have a similar setup since Chevy's and GMCs (after 2000 I think) are the same setup and lots of folks probably have trailers for bikes or camping here

Must obey the sheep dog
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 Old 01-28-2005, 1:18 AM

Reputation Power: 0

6 wire to the back??? I'm not familiar with GMC wiring...usualy vehicles have a standarf 4 prong, or the 7 prong. The 7 prong just adds a 12v for battery charging (8-10 gauge black), a blue for trailer brakes, and a orange for backup lights. If you already got brake controller harness in the cab, it usualy has 4 wires.

Last edited by G-Force Junkie; 01-28-2005 at 1:22 AM.
post #5 of 15 Old 01-28-2005, 1:21 AM

Check this out http://www.etrailer.com/faq/wiring.asp
sounds like you need to run a 12v wire fronthe battery to the rear of your truck. There are wiring diagrams for this on the 'net, I'll see if I can find it. Use a 8 or 10 ga wire.
post #6 of 15 Old 01-28-2005, 1:24 AM

...actualy, it appears the 6 wire would work, its only missing the auxlurity wire...what is typicaly used for back up lights. But considering 99% of trailers (unless we are talking boat trailers) with electric brakes have 7 pin, I would convert yours. It should only take rewiring at the bumper and tapping into the reverse lights wire.
post #7 of 15 Old 01-28-2005, 2:28 AM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepofblue
So I would need a 6 to 7 (not seen one yet). However I think the seventh wire is for charging the brake battery and maybe lights.
did you click the link above?
post #8 of 15 Old 01-28-2005, 5:01 AM

Reputation Power: 31

Congrats on the trailer. Can't help ya with the wiring, the trailer place installed mine since I only had 4 pin, and did the brake controller too. I've only seen 4 and 7 pin. 6, huh. Good luck with it!
post #9 of 15 Old 01-28-2005, 8:07 AM Thread Starter

I looked and while mine is a six and I have 6 in the harness I only use 4 right now. Looks like it is time to string wire Etrailer also had info on my truck specific but I was hoping to swap a harness rather than string wire for slickness of install

Must obey the sheep dog
post #10 of 15 Old 01-28-2005, 9:14 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
I looked and while mine is a six and I have 6 in the harness I only use 4 right now. Looks like it is time to string wire Etrailer also had info on my truck specific but I was hoping to swap a harness rather than string wire for slickness of install
what the hell am I missing?? I've done just about anything you can do electrically to a car and I'm still confused . Can you draw a diagram
post #11 of 15 Old 01-28-2005, 9:30 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
what the hell am I missing?? I've done just about anything you can do electrically to a car and I'm still confused . Can you draw a diagram
It is confusing. 2000 GMCs came two ways, with tow package and w/o
The 'with' is a 7 pole connector wired complete just plug a brake controller in and go.
The without (aka mine) has wiring exposed above the spare tire with 6 wires although i have found out 2 of the 6 are for weird things. This is easily connected to a 4 pole system. Also the truck is wired to accept a controller in the cab. What I wanted was to get the OEM 'with' wiring harness and plug it into my truck. Thus I would have a poor man's tow package (I already have the hitch reciever). However I have been told by the dealer that although the cab is wired for a brake controller the existing wiring is not able to have the HD tow package harness added. I am going to look at my truck an the Helm's Manual a bit more but figure I will have to drag some wire to the back from the fuse box.

Must obey the sheep dog

Last edited by sheepofblue; 01-28-2005 at 9:32 PM.
post #12 of 15 Old 01-28-2005, 10:31 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
It is confusing....I am going to look at my truck an the Helm's Manual a bit more but figure I will have to drag some wire to the back from the fuse box.
I gotcha now I think, and I think you may be missing the fuses and terminals that the HD has. But yeah you're on the right track, as the primary diff between 6/7 wires is that the 7 has an extra 'power' wire to run onboard aux. equipment. From what I can recall this is usually rated no less then 20a.

BillAce may have more experience with this then I, but then again the question is not a complex orchestration of thiele-small params. rather simple 12vdc with current limiting.

Did I ask what kind of trailer yet?

...and in the end I highly recommend sourcing an all out re-kit rather the just adding some conductors to the existing. Just cleaner and neater, and since the labor is the same price
post #13 of 15 Old 01-28-2005, 10:42 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
I gotcha now I think, and I think you may be missing the fuses and terminals that the HD has. But yeah you're on the right track, as the primary diff between 6/7 wires is that the 7 has an extra 'power' wire to run onboard aux. equipment. From what I can recall this is usually rated no less then 20a.

BillAce may have more experience with this then I, but then again the question is not a complex orchestration of thiele-small params. rather simple 12vdc with current limiting.

Did I ask what kind of trailer yet?

...and in the end I highly recommend sourcing an all out re-kit rather the just adding some conductors to the existing. Just cleaner and neater, and since the labor is the same price
That is why I wanted the whole harness, about $90 but it would have been cleaner and more reliable. I have a link at etrailer.com with instructions but it is not as clean.

The trailer is a Shadowmaster and if the ice storm doesn't screw the roads over to bad I will have pics tommorow

Must obey the sheep dog
post #14 of 15 Old 02-26-2005, 11:19 PM Thread Starter

Update: My harness came in. Not only will it hook into the existing wiring and fuse box it comes with some fairly detailed instructions. Anyone that is looking to wire up a GMC/Chevy from 2000 up should consider this route.

Must obey the sheep dog
post #15 of 15 Old 02-27-2005, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Force Junkie
...actualy, it appears the 6 wire would work, its only missing the auxlurity wire...what is typicaly used for back up lights. But considering 99% of trailers (unless we are talking boat trailers) with electric brakes have 7 pin, I would convert yours. It should only take rewiring at the bumper and tapping into the reverse lights wire.
The aux wire is also used for interior lights on enclosed trailers.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > General Motorcycling > Towing / Transport

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page