Bought a trailer - Need advice - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Towing / Transport Discussion of Trailers, Wheel Chocks, Tie-Downs, Ramps, etc for Transporting Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 25 Old 01-31-2005, 11:58 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 20

Bought a trailer - Need advice

Looking for some advice on proper tie down technique and suggestions as to what equipment should be used.

What tie downs should I go with? Ancra Red Snappers or The Original tie downs? And what about soft hook extensions 12 or 18”?
What’s the best spot on a sport bike to tie down from, the lower triple?
Wheel tie down strap on the back tire enough to hold the bike from moving around?

Any other help would be appreciated.

Look, lean, believe!!

Last edited by soon2b954; 05-25-2006 at 9:25 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 Old 01-31-2005, 12:04 PM

Reputation Power: 31

Re: Bought a trailer - Need advice

I use the Ancra originals. I haven't seen the red snappers. Are they rated for less or more pounds? If less, go with the Ancra Originals. Since the trailer you have looks like it has tie down points front and rear, your best bet is around the triple, as you suggested. I'd recommend the Ancra 18" soft ties, as the 12" will barely give enough length to go around the triple. In the back, I'd run softies through the passenger pegs, or somewhere in that area, one on each side, to hold the rear down. Don't tighten them too much, as you'll end up pulling the front wheel away from the chock. The idea is to just prevent the back from hopping around. Ideally, you'd want to pull both the front and rear straps forward, but that may not be possible depending on where tie-down hooks are on your trailer. Pulling the rear ones rearward will work as long as they aren't pulled too tight.
post #3 of 25 Old 01-31-2005, 12:05 PM

Reputation Power: 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 25 Old 01-31-2005, 12:12 PM

Reputation Power: 25

Send a message via AIM to NinerPilot Send a message via MSN to NinerPilot

Ancras only.... Ask Bubba what happens when you use others.... As far as where to hook, I hooked soft ties to the rear pegs as HG2 said, but the front I ran throught he motor mounts where the sliders go on the sides, and run them foward and out. This allows you to compress the forks a bit without putting any torsion on them. I hauled mine many miles like this without it budging a bit.
Chris
post #5 of 25 Old 01-31-2005, 12:13 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HondaGalToo
I use the Ancra originals. I haven't seen the red snappers. Are they rated for less or more pounds? If less, go with the Ancra Originals. Since the trailer you have looks like it has tie down points front and rear, your best bet is around the triple, as you suggested. I'd recommend the Ancra 18" soft ties, as the 12" will barely give enough length to go around the triple. In the back, I'd run softies through the passenger pegs, or somewhere in that area, one on each side, to hold the rear down. Don't tighten them too much, as you'll end up pulling the front wheel away from the chock. The idea is to just prevent the back from hopping around. Ideally, you'd want to pull both the front and rear straps forward, but that may not be possible depending on where tie-down hooks are on your trailer. Pulling the rear ones rearward will work as long as they aren't pulled too tight.
As always, you're a wealth of information!!

See the link below for info on the Red Snappers,

http://cyborgcycles.com/trnsprt.html

Look, lean, believe!!
post #6 of 25 Old 01-31-2005, 12:20 PM

He has the worst website I've ever seen (an e-mail and phone number only!) but I've been using D-Straps for about a year now. They use carbiners instead of hooks and have the soft strap built into the end. They hold as well as ancras, and seem to age just as well too.

post #7 of 25 Old 01-31-2005, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by soon2b954
As always, you're a wealth of information!!

See the link below for info on the Red Snappers,

http://cyborgcycles.com/trnsprt.html
Thanks, I've been towing bikes around for about 10 years and have picked up a few tricks here and there. Those red snappers must be something fairly new? I've seen other brands with another hook on the end. I've never felt like I needed them. In my trailer I ran etrack so I can put my tie down rings in the floor anywhere I'd like, so a friend showed me a great tiedown method that only uses 2 straps, one on each side of the bike, in the rearset area. I loop a soft tie through the subframe, just above the rearsets, then pull the strap forward about 45 degrees. Must have a wheel chock. Two straps and it's solid. Compresses the front and rear at the same time. Don't think you can do that with your trailer, though. Of course, if one strap breaks, I'm screwed. I check all straps and soft ties after each tow. If any have a hint of fraying, they go in the garbage. I always carry extra soft ties and tie down straps...just ask bubba!
post #8 of 25 Old 01-31-2005, 12:49 PM Thread Starter

Ancra recommends the Red Snapper as per this package scan from Newenough.com

http://www.newenough.com/product_pic...pplication.jpg

Look, lean, believe!!
post #9 of 25 Old 01-31-2005, 1:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by soon2b954
Ancra recommends the Red Snapper as per this package scan from Newenough.com

http://www.newenough.com/product_pic...pplication.jpg
I'll have to check them out when I need replacements. But, does that listing mean Ancra red or black red snappers, or does it mean you can choose between red or black originals, or red snappers? Not totally clear, except for smaller bikes they recommend red or black, or brites. Anyway, I've used the originals with no problems! Happy tie down shopping!
post #10 of 25 Old 01-31-2005, 1:03 PM

Reputation Power: 18

You can always drill a hole in the side of the rails to make new tie down points for the hook to go through. As stated, have all straps pull forward. If you don't have pass. pegs, there is a crossbar near the battert try you can hook to.

CBR Bob
TeamPromotion Coach#29TPM
Rider Ed. of N.J. Inc. Senior RiderCoachRENJ
post #11 of 25 Old 01-31-2005, 2:04 PM

Does anyone else use Canyon Dancer ?? That's all I've ever used on the front and 2 straps on the rear to keep the back end snug and preloaded slightly.
post #12 of 25 Old 01-31-2005, 3:16 PM

Reputation Power: 18

We use them to bring in crashed bikes on the trailer. I have seen (and failed at tech) many bikes that had a Canyon Dancer used and the grips mashed so bad the throttle sticks wide open. Then again, people use them with no ill effects. Personally I use soft straps on the lower triple clamp.

CBR Bob
TeamPromotion Coach#29TPM
Rider Ed. of N.J. Inc. Senior RiderCoachRENJ
post #13 of 25 Old 01-31-2005, 3:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBRBob
We use them to bring in crashed bikes on the trailer. I have seen (and failed at tech) many bikes that had a Canyon Dancer used and the grips mashed so bad the throttle sticks wide open. Then again, people use them with no ill effects. Personally I use soft straps on the lower triple clamp.
Thanks Bob.

I've seen people completely compress their front suspension with these things, and I would assume these are the people who wreck their grips.
post #14 of 25 Old 01-31-2005, 4:02 PM

Reputation Power: 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvtolean
They use carbiners instead of hooks and have the soft strap built into the end.
I've got a couple of Ancras modded with 'biners that work great for all sorts of tie-down chores...

Just cut the stock hooks off with a bolt cutter and replace them with decent carabiners...works perfect...

Sith Apprentice
CBR929 - VFR800 - VFR800
"There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one..." - Joey Dunlop
post #15 of 25 Old 01-31-2005, 4:15 PM

Quote:
Identical to Ancra's original except with an industrial quality snap hook and spring loaded keeper AT ONE END to provide an extra measure of security.
Why would you want an "extra measure of security" on just one end?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > General Motorcycling > Towing / Transport

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page