Respraying the trailer -easy way? - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Towing / Transport Discussion of Trailers, Wheel Chocks, Tie-Downs, Ramps, etc for Transporting Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 08-28-2007, 10:54 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 13

Respraying the trailer -easy way?

Hey guys,

I have a trailer that I want to spray to use for hauling the bike around. Its a good trailer it even has built in ramps it just has a lot of surface rust.

What is an easy and cheap way to stop the rust getting worse and paint the trailer?

I dont need a fancy paintjob just a durable even coat.

Thanks,

Rob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 08-29-2007, 6:53 AM

Reputation Power: 59

Re: Respraying the trailer -easy way?

Right, I would firstly grind or scrape all of the rust off, then coat it with something like Hamerite. Be careful, you can get a ripply effect or a smooth effect – depends on what tin you pick up.

If you have more time, add some rust treatment on it first… That’s what I did for mine.

Hope you can get Hamerite over there…
post #3 of 9 Old 08-29-2007, 10:01 AM

Reputation Power: 16

Send a message via AIM to cvc14 Send a message via Yahoo to cvc14

I went the lazy way this spring and just pick up some cheap black spray paint and went over what was there.. Made it look better then it did but I know it was not the right way of doing it.

Twincam...
What did you use as a rust treatment? I am going to re-paint the trailer this winter and might take the extra step.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 08-29-2007, 10:53 AM

I just went down to my local car shop and bought the cheapest stuff i could find. They have rust eater/treatment you can buy. When you put it on, it might turn abit grey as it is converting the rust into a compound of some sort. I didnt buy the really expensive one as i roughly soaked the frame in it (and used about 250ml-500ml.

Once i had painted it, i went abit mad and with the underseal bottle i had left over from my Mini, i undersealed it. (But that is if you have a compressor + spray gun etc

If you want i can find the name of the stuff i used, but it shouldnt be too hard to find. You guys might not have the same make over there, but you could have similar. Ebay should have some if you cant find any.

Dont forget to have a look at the bearings / suspension arms (or leaf springs) and to grease all of the joints.
post #5 of 9 Old 08-29-2007, 1:28 PM

Reputation Power: 16

Send a message via AIM to cvc14 Send a message via Yahoo to cvc14

Thanks for the info.. I will have to check out the auto parts store for this rust treatment stuff.. I dont think i am going to use a spray gun to paint it since:
1. I dont have one

and

2. I rattle canned my race body work and came out a hell of a lot better then I had thought it would. So rattle can is just fine for the trailer.

I will be replacing the bearings also over the winter since the guy I bought the trailer from said they had been replaced but did not remember when so i am going to just get new ones. Rims and tires are new as are all the lights and wiring so I am good in that department.
post #6 of 9 Old 08-30-2007, 12:21 PM

Reputation Power: 15

Send a message via AIM to hotnanas

Welcome - POR-15 Inc.

this is what i plan on using.
post #7 of 9 Old 08-30-2007, 6:19 PM

That stuff looks good, but is it expensive? I think they will all do the job, just make sure you get everywhere so it cant eat away any more - oh and dont forget to scrape the existing rust off before hand.

Take care
post #8 of 9 Old 08-30-2007, 6:29 PM

Reputation Power: 15

Send a message via AIM to hotnanas

with the POR you don't have to remove any rust at all. you just paint it on. makes the rust strong somehow. i saw the stuff first hand in a old classic jaguar at my buddy's body shop. it's incredible stuff.

i'm not sure of its cost yet, but I plan on getting some for the classic mustang's floor pans.
post #9 of 9 Old 08-30-2007, 7:07 PM

The Mustang sounds nice, there are a few on eBay that have caught my eye, but i dont think i should get one.

The rust is turned into a compound or a chemical blah blah that doesnt corrode. I thought it was good stuff since it stopped alot of rust here and there on my old 500 (winter bike)

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > General Motorcycling > Towing / Transport

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page