UHaul Trailering - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Towing / Transport Discussion of Trailers, Wheel Chocks, Tie-Downs, Ramps, etc for Transporting Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 01-15-2009, 8:58 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

UHaul Trailering

I am a newbie to the forum here and would appreciate a little advice.

I am picking up a 98' cbr that I recently purchased and am planning on transporting it in a UHaul rental trailer. I was just going to use tie down straps on the front of the bike (no wheel chock, etc). Can I strap it down each side from the triple clamp?

I use to transport my RZ in the back of my pick-up to the track every weekend (20 + years ago) and never had any issues with this method.

I am only going 25 km or so round trip.

Cheers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 01-15-2009, 9:44 PM

Reputation Power: 11

Re: UHaul Trailering

I used these when i moved to Tennessee. Put my bike in the back of the truck and put one on each of the front shocks. and one on each of the passenger pegs. Then strapped it down. I got mine from Wal-Mart. It just keeps the hook from messing up anything.
Attached Thumbnails
e130001.jpg‎  
post #3 of 7 Old 01-16-2009, 8:10 AM

Send a message via AIM to btrabucco Send a message via MSN to btrabucco Send a message via Yahoo to btrabucco

The UHaul Trailer I rented a few days ago had a cut out for the front wheel - no chock really needed.

I used a Canyon Dancer: Canyon Dancer Inc.

And a set of heavy duty ratchet straps I got from Home Depot ($20)

No issues at all
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 01-16-2009, 2:59 PM

Reputation Power: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by btrabucco View Post
The UHaul Trailer I rented a few days ago had a cut out for the front wheel - no chock really needed.

I was just behind a motorcycle u-haul trailer yesterday and was saying to myself I'll have to remeber you can rent those from u-haul. They have a inlet in the front for the front tire and "D" rings on the bed to strap to.
post #5 of 7 Old 01-16-2009, 3:47 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the advice/input!

post #6 of 7 Old 01-20-2009, 6:49 PM Thread Starter

I transported the bike in a 5' x 8' U-Haul trailer yesterday and all went well. There was a wheel chock that came with the trailer as part of the rental. The wheel chock was portable and I did not secure it to the floor. I think that next time I would try and secure it because it did move a few inches to one side by the end of the trip.

I used some Erickson tie downs on the front, attached to some 'helper' ties (approx. 12 inches in length) that have loops around each end that I secured to the handle bar ends. I also used two tie downs on the back (secured to frame) for extra security (not sure if these were really necessary).

I had thought of running a 2"x4"' wood stud down each side of the bike along the floor and tight to the wheels and screwing these to the floor of the trailer with some wood screws but, with the wheel chock it wasn't an issue. I think it couldbe a good viable solution if I didn't have the use of a wheel chock...(keeping in mind that it is a rental trailer and that it would leave a couple of very small holes in the wooden deck).

post #7 of 7 Old 04-08-2009, 2:39 PM

Reputation Power: 25

I didn't know you could rent these from U-Haul. I will have check that out if I ever make it to a track day. Glad I saw this thread!

Last edited by Deadsmiley; 04-08-2009 at 3:17 PM. Reason: can't type a coherent sentence...

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > General Motorcycling > Towing / Transport

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page