Attn all Sprint ST1050 owners.... - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Triumph Motorcycles Discussion of Triumph Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 29 Old 02-21-2006, 12:13 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

Attn all Sprint ST1050 owners....

So....like many other idiots I got rid of my Blade last year since I thought I was getting to irresponsible while on it. However, it was one of the worst mistakes I have made. Wish someone was there to do this ===> But on the brightside, I have been DROOLING over the new ST1050's. I have begun to notice a few of the members here have purchased them. What are some pros and cons on them? Good points/bad points? I still want something fast and fun, but still somfortable enough that I don't feel wadded up all the time. Any and all thoughts are appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 Old 02-21-2006, 1:14 AM

Reputation Power: 43

Send a message via MSN to phobiaphobe
Re: Attn all Sprint ST1050 owners....

TraumaOne and bwhip both own them. Also, have you tried a VFR?

And then there's this asshole...
post #3 of 29 Old 02-21-2006, 9:27 AM

The Sprint is an outstanding bike, and the best combo of sport and touring I've seen to this point.

It's a tall bike, very comfortable with more relaxed ergos than typical sportbikes. Great sound from the distinctive triple, with a very cool growl that pops a bit on deceleration. Loads of usable power and torque, and handles extremely well in the twisties.

The few complaints I've seen about it include excessive engine and exhaust heat (hasn't been a big problem for me, as I don't do a lot of around-town riding), crappy hard bags from Triumph (I understand they're fixing them), and some fit and finish issues (hey, it's not a Honda).

Overall, the bike has exceeded my expectations.

Some pics:
Attached Thumbnails
Sprint 10-05a.jpg‎   tailtidy1.JPG‎   SprintCascade.JPG‎   Sprint BBR.jpg‎  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 29 Old 02-21-2006, 9:33 AM

Reputation Power: 24

Send a message via AIM to ReaperAZ Send a message via MSN to ReaperAZ Send a message via Yahoo to ReaperAZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwhip
The Sprint is an outstanding bike, and the best combo of sport and touring I've seen to this point.

It's a tall bike, very comfortable with more relaxed ergos than typical sportbikes. Great sound from the distinctive triple, with a very cool growl that pops a bit on deceleration. Loads of usable power and torque, and handles extremely well in the twisties.

The few complaints I've seen about it include excessive engine and exhaust heat (hasn't been a big problem for me, as I don't do a lot of around-town riding), crappy hard bags from Triumph (I understand they're fixing them), and some fit and finish issues (hey, it's not a Honda).

Overall, the bike has exceeded my expectations.

Some pics:
Add to that...they photograph well.

Dan
post #5 of 29 Old 02-21-2006, 9:46 AM

Reputation Power: 43

Send a message via MSN to phobiaphobe

No that's just B's enchanted camera.

And then there's this asshole...
post #6 of 29 Old 02-21-2006, 4:00 PM Thread Starter

I've looked into the VFR, but haven't really put one into it's paces yet. There is a guy who rode with us on occasion that had oneand I might see if I can take it for a spin out one of the local roads. They don't seem to appeal to me as much as the Sprint does. I've also heard that some people have had issues with the VTEC coming on and goin off while in mid turn.

Bwhip, the pics are amazing! I looked at your gallery page last night at work. Great scenery Did you have any issuses with the brakes? I've read other places that some people had issuses with them feeling soft or mushy. Have you taken anyone out on a ride with you? How does it handle 2-up riding? The wife doesn't go riding with me too often, but on an occasional night ride or two. How about fuel consumption? Have you had any tire wear problems aside from normal? Does it seem to eat rear tires like a twin does even though it's the triple? Sorry if it seems like I'm hitting you with a barrage of ?'s but just have a few that I'm lookin for answers too. Thanks man!!
post #7 of 29 Old 02-22-2006, 12:06 AM

No sweat - glad you liked the pics!

Yes, I should have mentioned that the brakes were extremely mushy and disappointing when I first got the bike (and others have had the same problem). I was used to instant stopping power from my 954 and Duc. Once I bled them really well though, they were just as good as the Honda, and they've been great ever since. Same feedback I've heard from others.

Done a little two-up riding with it, and it was fine. On a long trip on a hot day the pillion might get a bit warm with that underseat exhaust, but I haven't tried it.

Tires have been holding up okay, considering that I generally ride it pretty aggressively.

Fuel consumption is incredibly stingy, especially for such a powerful bike. It's got a big tank so the range is outstanding. When I bought it in Salt Lake City and rode it back up to Idaho (about a six hour ride), I was stunned by the mileage. I was in the break-in period and was being very gentle, but the mileage was well over 50 MPG, and I went over 250 miles before needing to refuel.

I like VFR's too, but like the additional power and character of the Sprint. I'm not crazy about some of the negative feedback I've heard on the V-Tec, and like the uniqueness of having a Triumph. Everyone seems to love the look and sound of the bike, and it kicks ass in performance too.
post #8 of 29 Old 02-22-2006, 7:00 AM Thread Starter

Sounds like a pretty darn good overall bike Just the answers I was hoping for. Thanks Whipper!

250 miles on a tank?! I was lucky to get 125 on my 929, but then again I was constantly running her in the higher R's for most of the trips we took

One other ?, did you pop for the race can over the plain stocker? I know there is little to no aftermarket exhausts available....yet. I'd like to figure the cost of that into the price also. Looks like I'm gonna hafta drive to at least TN to find a deal on one. There is a demo 05 model up in the Toledo, OH area that they are still wanting $10k for. Guess we shall have to wait and see.....
post #9 of 29 Old 02-22-2006, 9:20 AM

No, I've been waiting for more choices. Wolf was making one that was incredibly expensive, and I'd heard that the Triumph offering made it louder, but that you would lose the cool burbling and popping that you get on decel with the stocker. So for now I'm very happy with the current system.
post #10 of 29 Old 02-22-2006, 9:45 AM

I have one and love it. Gotta run now, but I'll put my thoughts up a bit later...
post #11 of 29 Old 02-22-2006, 8:17 PM

I just read through bwhips' comments and I wholeheartedly agree. Very powefuly, flat power curve, with power everywhere. Comfy, sporty, decent but not very adjustable suspension. Does fine with 2-up altho I don't really like riding 2 up. Fit and finish are excellent on mine. The windshield did the bubbling thing, but I was already swapping out the windshield for a double bubble. It heats up quickly. I would not want to ride regularly in stop and go traffic where you sit for an extended time. It is tall and definately feels heavier than the 636 I traded for it. Great gas-mileage. Any other questions?

Last edited by TraumaOne; 12-18-2006 at 10:57 PM.
post #12 of 29 Old 02-22-2006, 8:28 PM Thread Starter

I really appreciate all of the feedback you guys have given me. Definetly answered all the ?'s Ive had lately. If you guys don't mind, if some others pop up, I'll just senda PM. Now for the difficult part.....talking the wife into lettin me buy one
post #13 of 29 Old 02-22-2006, 8:35 PM

Good luck!
post #14 of 29 Old 02-22-2006, 8:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thompsonian
I really appreciate all of the feedback you guys have given me. Definetly answered all the ?'s Ive had lately. If you guys don't mind, if some others pop up, I'll just senda PM. Now for the difficult part.....talking the wife into lettin me buy one
Sorry, can't help you there!
post #15 of 29 Old 02-22-2006, 8:55 PM

Reputation Power: 50

Give Cleveland/Akron Honda a call. They're a Triumph dealer and might have one on the floor. It'd be closer than Toledo.

Cleveland/Akron Honda in Oakwood, Ohio
7300 Fair Oak Road
Oakwood, Ohio 44146
Phone: (440) 735-2000

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Other Motorcycle Brands > Triumph Motorcycles

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page