Triumph on the trailer...again! - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Triumph Motorcycles Discussion of Triumph Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 10-12-2006, 11:42 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 17

Triumph on the trailer...again!

Had to go pick up my son's 2004 daytona 955 tonight. Not charging. This is the second time! Back in Feb (I think) same thing happened, the dealer replaced the regulator/rectifier. About 600 mi at that time, about 6k now.
We put a new battery in it a couple weeks ago, it has always been weak , finally got to the point where it wouldn't hold any charge. It was the AGM type Batt. I turned it at Batteries Plus, wish I had kept it to test now...
Any other Triumph owners seeing these kind of problems?
I thought the "prince of darkness" thing was long gone....

Conquer yourself rather than the world.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 10-13-2006, 9:55 AM

Reputation Power: 16

Re: Trimph on the trailer...again!

Wow, sorry to hear about that. I'm still really glad that I opted for the blade instead of a 955i. I have heard stories about those bikes being finicky to start. It doesn't sound like the battery is your problem though, since this one only lasted a few weeks...hopefully it gets sorted soon!

I just replaced the battery in mine, and I wouldn't be surprised if it's the original (I think it's an OEM battery), but I think whoever tightened the screws down on the battery is a contestant in the World's Strongest Man competition!

post #3 of 6 Old 11-11-2006, 12:12 AM Thread Starter

Re: Triumph on the trailer...again!

Update: The dealer gave me some test voltage specs. Did the diag and found it was charging slightly at idle, but voltage dropped as rpm increased. They said bad Reg/rect asm. Also the Main fuse was melted, not blown.
The r/r asm was replaced under warranty in Dec of 2005 at 670 miles. Bike now has about 6k on the odo, same prob. The service manger at the dealer told my son that there was no way they would cover any repair on the bike. I called, pretty much the same answer, but he told me to call Triumph USA to see what they could do. After a lengthy explanation and discussion he pulled up the bikes records. Found it's warranty ended in August of this year.
So he called the dealer and authorized them to check out the bike. The put a reg/rect asm on it (warrantied it ), found the supply wiring from the RR to the fuse block got very hot (melted fuse ). They couldn't find the cause of this. I will hunt it down myself, see what's going on.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 11-11-2006, 2:38 AM

Reputation Power: 16

The only problem I've had with mine is that the fuel light gets stuck on. The dealer has tried to fix it twice now - both times it works for about a month. Other than that everything has been fine.
post #5 of 6 Old 11-11-2006, 10:23 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by literbike View Post
The only problem I've had with mine is that the fuel light gets stuck on. The dealer has tried to fix it twice now - both times it works for about a month. Other than that everything has been fine.
How many miles do you have? Have you done any mods or track time?
I like this bike quite a bit, might buy it from the kid at some point.

post #6 of 6 Old 04-26-2007, 6:57 PM

Reputation Power: 0

Interesting to hear about your charging woes........
I have the 2004 model and have had lots of issues with charging problems.
If the machine is left to sit a few weeks the battery is dead when i come back to it.

My mechanic found the alternator wires under tension from assembly causing the connection to strain and charging was prone to periodic failure.
the loom was to short basically.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Other Motorcycle Brands > Triumph Motorcycles

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page