Tune ECU - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Triumph Motorcycles Discussion of Triumph Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 Old 02-24-2011, 7:09 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 50

Tune ECU

Hi all
I'm usually on the 'blade forum but a friend has a '90 RS Sprint that has been giving him a bit of grief.
Basically it will run fine, until it gets really hot. Then, when he comes to a stop, especially after a high sped run, it will cut out, taking a bit of time to restart, not nice in the middle of a traffic stream.
Triumph dealers are a bit thin on the ground here and want £££££'s to remap. Its fairly obviously something in the ECU.. unless you guys know better?
Came accross this program Tune ECU on the web, seems to be used by a lot of the Triumph guys. Connected the OBD11 cable, reads everything great, remaps fine too. I was just wondering if anyone had experience of getting inside the code to do tweeks, not much of that info on the WWW.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 02-24-2011, 7:19 AM
Global Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 229

Re: Tune ECU

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdugen View Post
Hi all
I'm usually on the 'blade forum but a friend has a '90 RS Sprint that has been giving him a bit of grief.
Basically it will run fine, until it gets really hot. Then, when he comes to a stop, especially after a high sped run, it will cut out, taking a bit of time to restart, not nice in the middle of a traffic stream.
Triumph dealers are a bit thin on the ground here and want £££££'s to remap. Its fairly obviously something in the ECU.. unless you guys know better?
Came accross this program Tune ECU on the web, seems to be used by a lot of the Triumph guys. Connected the OBD11 cable, reads everything great, remaps fine too. I was just wondering if anyone had experience of getting inside the code to do tweeks, not much of that info on the WWW.

Seems unlikely to be a map problem unless it's just started since he changed something? Surely it hasn't been misbehaving like this for twenty years? You've done all the obvious things already - fresh plugs, clean filters, no air leaks, fuel pressure regulator, etc?

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
post #3 of 3 Old 02-24-2011, 10:15 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 50

Re: Tune ECU

Hi BR
I've been getting allsorts into the workshop lately, the riding season is starting!
Not had many FI types through my hands and the more I search, the more irrascible the Triumphs seem to be. Anywhoo, the fault turned out to be an air diverter valve that maintains tickover when the butterfly's are shut. It is supposed to seal against the airbox floor when the box is fitted, the rubbery gasket was not making firm contact. Looks as though the mounting bar had been displaced. There is an air flow metering system that reads air pressure / vacuum in the airbox and this was rendered inoperative, fooling the ECU. (prooved by taking the feed tube out, the erratic tickover returned.
Feeling chuffed. BTW, if you do want to mess with Triumphs, KTM's and some Aprillia's, this program is pretty much the best avaiable...and its freeware!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Other Motorcycle Brands > Triumph Motorcycles

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page