need 929/954 steering damper - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Wanted Buy motorcycles, motorcycle parts, helmets, leathers, boots, gloves, luggage, and more.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 Old 10-24-2009, 11:48 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 10

need 929/954 steering damper

looking for a used damper for my new 929...gpr is preferred but im open to anything. on a tight budget due to college bills but i gotta cure this headshake..dangerous!

lemme know what you have
thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 10-24-2009, 12:05 PM
Global Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 229

Re: need 929/954 steering damper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ny450 View Post
looking for a used damper for my new 929...gpr is preferred but im open to anything. on a tight budget due to college bills but i gotta cure this headshake..dangerous!
You do realise the damper does not cure headshake?
It merely hides it from the rider. If you find the cause and fix it then you won't need the damper.

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
post #3 of 13 Old 10-24-2009, 12:13 PM

Reputation Power: 25

Send a message via AIM to JohnnySpeed954

Quote:
Originally Posted by bladeracer View Post
It merely hides it from the rider. If you find the cause and fix it then you won't need the damper.

** I still have one but it's not to cure headshake. I like a tighter feel to the front end because I ride the front tire a lot!!!

"If you feel you're in control you're not going fast enough" ~ Mario Andretti
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 10-24-2009, 12:17 PM
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnySpeed954 View Post

** I still have one but it's not to cure headshake. I like a tighter feel to the front end because I ride the front tire a lot!!!
I don't run dampers because I work the front hard so I want the maximium possible feedback from the tyre.

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
post #5 of 13 Old 10-24-2009, 12:19 PM

Reputation Power: 25

Send a message via AIM to JohnnySpeed954

Quote:
I don't run dampers because I work the front hard so I want the maximium possible feedback from the tyre.
Yeah .. I picked up my Scotts because I was getting too much feedback for my likeing. Wanted to smooth it out.

"If you feel you're in control you're not going fast enough" ~ Mario Andretti
post #6 of 13 Old 10-24-2009, 12:38 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
definitly true, i understand that..i have ran dampers on all of my bikes and will continue to with this one. i will definitly have to look into the cause of the headshake and take care of that if i feel it is necessary as well.
post #7 of 13 Old 11-11-2009, 7:51 AM Thread Starter

bumpp keep getting sniped last second on ebay..frickin frustrating! still looking for one
post #8 of 13 Old 01-02-2010, 9:56 PM

Reputation Power: 31

Bladeracer- I've heard this many times, but please list possible causes from A to Z. I picked up a Scott's shortly after the bike only because of the old roads around me being somewhat "poorly maintained" During hard acceleration when I am winding out 3rd and 4th the bike has at times shook. Sometimes it will start to shake and settle down, other times it will go into violent tank slaps. The roads have a somewhat high crown, minimal potholes and a tight ribbon effect/appearance.
Thanks, Bob
post #9 of 13 Old 01-02-2010, 10:36 PM
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERION929 View Post
Bladeracer- I've heard this many times, but please list possible causes from A to Z. I picked up a Scott's shortly after the bike only because of the old roads around me being somewhat "poorly maintained" During hard acceleration when I am winding out 3rd and 4th the bike has at times shook. Sometimes it will start to shake and settle down, other times it will go into violent tank slaps. The roads have a somewhat high crown, minimal potholes and a tight ribbon effect/appearance.
Thanks, Bob
Tyre condition, road condition (some roads are always going to push the bike around), wheel bearings, steering bearings, steering rake, rebound and compression damping settings, fork oil weight, swingarm bearings, wheel alignment, shock linkages and bearings, fork bushes, bent forks (or anything else that requires you to "steer" the bike to keep it going straight - including any asymetric aerodynamic load or side wind), riding position - the list is probably endless.
Modern sportsbikes do move around, they're designed to so they steer fast with minimal rider input. If you are trying to fight the bars you will actually cause the slapping by feeding counter loads into the bars.
During hard acceleration if you are sitting up or back the front tyre is probably barely touching the road.

post #10 of 13 Old 01-04-2010, 1:12 AM

Reputation Power: 13

I have had a damper on all my bikes and have saved my ass many times...try dropping your fork tubes 10-15mm thru the triples...put more weight over the front and helps with headshake..also make sure your front tire is properly balanced. Check your settings on your forks and make sure they are both set equally even if its not set right, as long as they are working the same its better than nothing. Check head bearings and make sure the triples are tightened down to spec...its in your dumb little OEM manual.
post #11 of 13 Old 01-04-2010, 6:42 AM

Reputation Power: 17

Send a message via Yahoo to sscottab

I agree you need to locate the problem giving you the headshake and repair it, but i think the 954 and the 929 needs a damper because of there tendency to have tank slappers, I know not everyone agrees with me on this but i put about 10k on my 954 before i had a bad tank slapper and the bike is set up for me, all it takes is 1 tank slapper that you do not recover from to cause a wreck. there has been a couple times since i put a damper on my bike that it saved my ass but the roads here in maine are not the best either. honda put a factory damper on the 1000rr there must have been a reason for that possibly experance from the 954/929.

when you are on a honda you are on the best
2002 CBR954RR
scott
www.itriderz.com
post #12 of 13 Old 01-21-2010, 3:46 AM

Reputation Power: 0

Did you locate a steering damper
post #13 of 13 Old 01-21-2010, 5:44 PM

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Reputation Power: 13

i agree 100% i love feeling every bit of the road!!
Quote:

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Marketplace > Wanted

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page