driving standard in phoenix, az - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Western USA Regional discussion for members that live in Alaska, Arizona, California, Hawaii, Idaho, Nevada, New Mexico, Oregon, Washington.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 06-25-2004, 4:38 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

driving standard in phoenix, az

Hello people.

I've recently moved to scottsdale, az. I don't have a bike here yet and I just wanted to ask a question to anyone who rides on a daily basis around phoenix. Do you feel safe, ie. do you trust other drivers on the roads? I've driven a lot, and when roads like the 101 and Shea get busy, some people seem to drive like absolute nutters, leaving no margin for error. Basically, it may just be subjective, but it seems the standard of driving around here is worse than other places. I don't mean to bitch, or criticize drivers in general, most are OK, it's just a significant minority of them do worry me. (I know there's a high rate of DUI's and red light fatalities). Although on the plus side, I did go out for a quick ride last month and it seemed ok.

Maybe I've lived out in the sticks for too long, but I'd be interested to hear what other people think.

Bike for daily transport = good idea, or bad idea?

Thanks guys.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 06-25-2004, 4:52 PM

Re: driving standard in phoenix, az

Never been there,but having been in the bay area for many years and los angeles before,I'd say anywhere you have a large # of people there are going to be a lot of asshat drivers.I've been commuting for many years and for the most part,you learn to stay away from the real idiots.I highly recommend commuting to all motorcyclists,riding rain or shine has defintely made me a better rider.

Last edited by jafo; 10-23-2004 at 9:52 PM. Reason: spelling
post #3 of 11 Old 06-25-2004, 7:15 PM Thread Starter

thanks Jafo. That was my gut feeling really, I guess... I was just trying to look at all angles, you know. It's been over a year since I sold my last bike, and it's given me time to think about my whole riding philosophy (probably none the wiser for it though ). I guess you just kinda get a feel for it the same way you do riding anywhere.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 06-25-2004, 7:38 PM

Reputation Power: 39

Send a message via AIM to CBR929RE

Quote:
Originally Posted by formatt
Hello people.

I've recently moved to scottsdale, az. I don't have a bike here yet and I just wanted to ask a question to anyone who rides on a daily basis around phoenix. Do you feel safe, ie. do you trust other drivers on the roads? I've driven a lot, and when roads like the 101 and Shea get busy, some people seem to drive like absolute nutters, leaving no margin for error. Basically, it may just be subjective, but it seems the standard of driving around here is worse than other places. I don't mean to bitch, or criticize drivers in general, most are OK, it's just a significant minority of them do worry me. (I know there's a high rate of DUI's and red light fatalities). Although on the plus side, I did go out for a quick ride last month and it seemed ok.

Maybe I've lived out in the sticks for too long, but I'd be interested to hear what other people think.

Bike for daily transport = good idea, or bad idea?

Thanks guys.
being a professional driver I find that most people CAN'T drive, its a very small minority that can actually drive.

if you can't convince them, confuse them.
post #5 of 11 Old 06-28-2004, 11:29 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBR929RE
being a professional driver I find that most people CAN'T drive, its a very small minority that can actually drive.
So would you say that while mixing it on public roads is an unavoidable part of daily life, are we better off minimizing the risk factor by using a car, rather than bike? I've heard lots of good arguments either way, perhaps this is not something that can ever be decicively answered. I do think it's something interesting and worthwhile talking about though.

There are obvously lots of advantages to being on a bike, like better acceleration, braking, sometimes view of the road, and also being smaller than a car. I also think that when riding a bike, especially such a responsive bike like the blade, my concentration is a lot more focused.

Any more ideas about this?
post #6 of 11 Old 06-28-2004, 12:21 PM

Reputation Power: 24

Send a message via AIM to ReaperAZ Send a message via MSN to ReaperAZ Send a message via Yahoo to ReaperAZ

Quote:
So would you say that while mixing it on public roads is an unavoidable part of daily life, are we better off minimizing the risk factor by using a car, rather than bike? I've heard lots of good arguments either way, perhaps this is not something that can ever be decicively answered. I do think it's something interesting and worthwhile talking about though.

There are obvously lots of advantages to being on a bike, like better acceleration, braking, sometimes view of the road, and also being smaller than a car. I also think that when riding a bike, especially such a responsive bike like the blade, my concentration is a lot more focused.

Yup.....buy the bike and ride.

Dano

Dan
post #7 of 11 Old 06-28-2004, 9:41 PM

Quote:

no way I'm always gonna vote on riding the bike instead of taking the cage. I think the answer is better driver training. I'll give everyone the first lesson in driving a bus "you have to drive for everyone else on the road because they can't do it" thats the first thing I was told in the first classroom session. basically it means you have to pay attention more to everyone and everything, notice the exhaust coming from that car on the side of the road they might just pull out on you, watch that car across the light from you he might just bang the left in front of you with no warning, watch that pedestrian on the sidewalk they might just decide to cross the street without turning to look (you notice when driving a bus that they turn and look directly at you and then walk in front of you when you're almost there, for some reason people think a large vehicle can stop really fast even if they're going only 5mph but thats so not true). during one of the breaks I had during the MSF course I was talking with one of the instructors about how many similarities there were in what he was teaching and what I taught about how much you have to pay attention to everything and that you'll notice that your car driving improves as a result also.

post #8 of 11 Old 06-28-2004, 10:02 PM

I dont beleive in "commuting miles" for two reasons, my commute is .2 miles to the highway 20 highway miles then .4 miles off the highway...boo-hoo fun. Second I bring my lunch, hard to carry a cooler on the bike. Another reason is I have to get up like 10 mins earlier to take my bike due suit up, I stay in bed until 6:23am to make it to work at 7:00am exactly everyday.
post #9 of 11 Old 06-30-2004, 5:17 PM Thread Starter

I guess there are things you can do to minimize risk. Like when I'm stopped at a red light, on green I do a quick but thorough left-center-right headsweep to scan for potential red light runners/left turners. It used to feel a bit weird, but it's getting second nature and I can do it quite fast now. Also when stopping at a light, leaving 10 - 12' gap between the car in front and keeping aware of what's approaching on the road behind, so I have enough room to get out the way. Thing is... is it worth the stress on a daily basis? I think it's hard to re-learn driving skills and remembering to look out for potential risks, but once it becomes automatic, maybe it's not so bad.

I read Keith Code's book, 'A Twist Of The Wrist' a couple of years ago and he gives some good advice. It's written for the racer, but has a lot of relevant stuff for general riding.
post #10 of 11 Old 06-30-2004, 8:21 PM

Quote:
I guess there are things you can do to minimize risk. Like when I'm stopped at a red light, on green I do a quick but thorough left-center-right headsweep to scan for potential red light runners/left turners. It used to feel a bit weird, but it's getting second nature and I can do it quite fast now. Also when stopping at a light, leaving 10 - 12' gap between the car in front and keeping aware of what's approaching on the road behind, so I have enough room to get out the way. Thing is... is it worth the stress on a daily basis? I think it's hard to re-learn driving skills and remembering to look out for potential risks, but once it becomes automatic, maybe it's not so bad.

I read Keith Code's book, 'A Twist Of The Wrist' a couple of years ago and he gives some good advice. It's written for the racer, but has a lot of relevant stuff for general riding.
well its not really relearning if you didn't do it before, but its always good to check for everything that might happen, when getting my cdl we had to do whats called commentary drive which is you talk about everything you see when you're driving such as the people on the sidewalk, any traffic signs, etc. try it on your bike, I assume you talk to yourself in your helmet anyway, I do so make it important stuff.

also everyone should go buy a copy of Sport Riding Techniques by Nick Ienatasch (sp?) awesome book

post #11 of 11 Old 08-04-2004, 5:32 AM

i live in phoenix and yes people cant drive but if u ride a bike do it just wear a helmet at least. I say people all dont pay attention because they dont see us. but... snowbirds come here in the winter cuz its warm so just stay out of sun city in the winter. hehe i just ride and pay attention to everyone and watch for the police ...

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Regional > Western USA

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page