Story about a noobie going down near ROCKSTORE pics - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Western USA Regional discussion for members that live in Alaska, Arizona, California, Hawaii, Idaho, Nevada, New Mexico, Oregon, Washington.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 31 Old 06-28-2004, 6:05 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

Story about a noobie going down near ROCKSTORE pics

well, if yall want to know the story, it was 1:10pm, I was leaving the tight twisties, (the ones past the rockstore on your lefthand side when you're coming up from los virgines) So me and my friend was cruising down from moholland, entering the twisties. He went ahead of me, so I lost site of him. I was crusing down hill, going around 30mph, not that fast. I was about to enter a lefty downhill curve, so I do the usual, Shift my ass cheeks to the left, drop the left elbow, and hang the curve in the middle of the lane, and then go towards the double yellow to follow the racing line. All of a SUDDEN!!!!.......................out of no where.........I was leaned into my turn, when I look straight ahead of me, and I see a black RR just like mine, it was like a mirror reflection.....by that I mean, he was right head to head with me...Holy crap, scared the **** outta me, we were head to head, his bike was right on the double yellow lines as well! I knew if i kept following the line that I was in, i't'll be a head on collosion for sure........I paniked, froze, STOMPED on my rear break, squeezed the **** outta my front break, BIKE straighted up soooo fast... THEN!!!!-LOWSIDED the direction tha I was going, oversteering into the right shoulder/ dirt patch next to a hill. My bike was all scratched up from the small rocks and pebbles, my jeans were ripped, my shirt was ripped. I was wearing an alpinestars leather jacket, blue silvertab jeans, and a black wifebeater underneath. i ended up going straight into the hillside, my bike looks pretty banged up. I ended up with hella roadrash on my left shin, and a swollen ass calf. I got home took a shower, then realized that my calf was getting more swollen, just got back from UCLA ER to get it x-rayed, everything is okay, but they're worried it might be a compartment fracture, where the swelling of the blood in the calf might cut blood supply to the nerves , but they said its cool, just gotta keep it iced and elevated. I'm okay, but my bike needs some repair, got some cool crutches to walk on until the pain goes away in my left calf. All that weight of the bike landed on my left calf.........IS THERE ANYTHING I COULD HAVE DONE TO AVOID WHAT HAPPENED? wanna hear something crazy, i actually had a dream of what happened the night before, that morning i was like, I HAVE TO RIDE MORE CAREFULL TODAY!!!!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 Old 06-28-2004, 7:27 AM

Re: Story about a noobie going down near ROCKSTORE pics

Quote:
Originally Posted by azn9imp
Shift my ass cheeks to the left, drop the left elbow, and hang the curve in the middle of the lane, and then go towards the double yellow to follow the racing line..........IS THERE ANYTHING I COULD HAVE DONE TO AVOID WHAT HAPPENED?
To answer your question, yes, take it to the track. That kind of riding shouldn't be on the street.
post #3 of 31 Old 06-28-2004, 8:18 AM

I dont believe riding 30mph in a curve is too aggressive for street riding, at least for a responsible/knowledgable rider. It sounds like the guy (poor 600rr ) should be practicing emergency maneuvers before he learns how to best attack a curve. He has learned a hard lesson and hopefully uses his accident to benefit future riding style.

To answer his question - a little bit of body shifting and looking thru the turn would have prevented his mishap (or so it seems).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 31 Old 06-28-2004, 8:50 AM

If he's hanging over the double yellow, he's riding too aggresively. Pretend the line is a 15ft brick wall and you should be fine.

Kookie, you for one should know what happens when you get too close to the yellow line.
post #5 of 31 Old 06-28-2004, 9:00 AM

Quote:
then go towards the double yellow to follow the racing line.
A phucking RACING line?!?!?! On the street?!?!?! Someone needs their head examined, and seriously altered.
post #6 of 31 Old 06-28-2004, 9:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConqSoft
If he's hanging over the double yellow, he's riding too aggresively. Pretend the line is a 15ft brick wall and you should be fine.

Kookie, you for one should know what happens when you get too close to the yellow line.

Thats true. In defense I have to say...mine was wet (even worse that I attempted the curve too fast). I learned quit a few lessons that day, so I dont regret the experience - just wish I could have learned it differently.

I suppose I didnt read his post as 'hanging OVER the yellow line', just as he was riding towards it (hitting the apex). Without a video it is hard to say, but it sounds like he was riding 'over his head', regardless of the details. It would be nice if the painted lines were 'brick walls', however they are more like lines of petroleum grease...always ready to suck you in and throw you on your a$$.
post #7 of 31 Old 06-28-2004, 9:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete
A phucking RACING line?!?!?! On the street?!?!?! Someone needs their head examined, and seriously altered.
As I stated in my other post, I believe his words are a bit deficient and he actually means ' following a line to properly hit the apex'.
post #8 of 31 Old 06-28-2004, 9:08 AM

Back off from that yellow line. You never know when a car could be over it, always give enough space so that you feel comfortable that unless someone is actually in your lane, they won't be able to clip you. Touching or crossing the yellow line is a BIG Sorry about your bike though, I hope it is all fixable and ready to ride within the next few weeks.
post #9 of 31 Old 06-28-2004, 11:51 AM

Reputation Power: 23

On a right hander (if you are in the USA) you should be almost on the yellow line. On a left hander you should be riding in the gutter (almost). You do this to maximise you forward observation. you will then be an ideal place to see the black CBR coming towards you doing everything just right.
post #10 of 31 Old 06-28-2004, 12:12 PM

Reputation Power: 20

When I'm riding in the twisties I find a lot of cagers tend to cut the corner (cross the yellow line) at the apex, I guess it takes too much effort to turn the wheel and follow through the turn!!

Last edited by soon2b954; 06-28-2004 at 3:07 PM. Reason: Spelling
post #11 of 31 Old 06-28-2004, 2:58 PM

Reputation Power: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by soon2b954
When my riding in the twisties I find a lot of cagers tend to cut the corner (cross the yellow line) at the apex, I guess it takes too much effort to turn the wheel and follow through the turn!!
This is very true and I find it is usually pickup trucks. I avoid the center line as much as possible because of these idiots.
post #12 of 31 Old 06-28-2004, 3:22 PM

Reputation Power: 26

So what happened to the other guy? Did he even stop to see if you were alright?
post #13 of 31 Old 06-28-2004, 4:30 PM

This is a story, not a first hand event.
post #14 of 31 Old 06-28-2004, 6:12 PM

Reputation Power: 20

azn9imp... you got pimpslapped.

Cheer up dude, at least you came out on top, altho it might have been worse. Hopefully you'll be back up soon enuf.

Be fast or be last.
post #15 of 31 Old 06-28-2004, 6:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kookie
I dont believe riding 30mph in a curve is too aggressive for street riding, at least for a responsible/knowledgable rider.
Maybe in your neck of the woods but out here we have plenty of corners that you could call 30MPH aggressive in.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Regional > Western USA

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page