Sweet Willow Springs video footage- both big and little tracks! ...Crash too. - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Western USA Regional discussion for members that live in Alaska, Arizona, California, Hawaii, Idaho, Nevada, New Mexico, Oregon, Washington.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 Old 07-24-2004, 4:00 PM
SPEED

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Sweet Willow Springs video footage- both big and little tracks! ...Crash too.

Some friends having a great time at Willow Springs...

Tearing it up at Willow Springs. Please right click and save it.

Hey Abtech, Latebraking, G-Force, codered, rrapriliawanter Etc....please give your thoughts on their lines at the BIG TRACK (first part of the video). I'd like to have a play by play for that track if possible to help when I go there next time.

Thanks,

SPEED.

Last edited by SPEED; 07-24-2004 at 4:43 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 07-25-2004, 12:42 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

Re: Sweet Willow Springs video footage- both big and little tracks! ...Crash too.

I'll take a look monday when I'm not on dial up and make sure I give you all the wrong advice. +)
post #3 of 22 Old 07-25-2004, 3:54 AM

Re: Sweet Willow Springs video footage- both big and little tracks! ...Crash too.

I watched it a few days ago...IIRC, the guy in front is riding a better line than the camera man.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 Old 07-25-2004, 7:12 AM
SPEED

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Force Junkie
I watched it a few days ago...IIRC, the guy in front is riding a better line than the camera man.
OK, so is his line perfect through all the corners, or is there some improvement to be made?
post #5 of 22 Old 07-25-2004, 3:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPEED
OK, so is his line perfect through all the corners, or is there some improvement to be made?
Not perfect, but alot of the corners he was dodging traffic. But the lead rider in blue is riding a better line than the camera bike.

Turn one: start on the right side 3 or 4 feel from the edge, tipit in just after the last cone. There is a black haze of skid marks from the cars, I stay inside. Dive for the apex, there is a big rectangular patch, try to stay inside which puts your knee over the curb. This will swing you wide on the exit to almost the edge of the track.

turn two: Start a gradual drift to the left and enter turn two about 10 feet or so from the left. There are a couple of lines through this, but its a pretty consistant radius so just rail around it. If your in too tight, there is a pavement seam and some choppy bits right in the middle. At the exit, I dive for the right corner or else I tend to go wide.

turn 3: again, drift back to the right and set up for this corner. There are several ways to do this one two, some turn in late, hold it to the left, and sweep around to turn 4. Otheres turn in earlier, and sweep it far right and shoot straight up the hill.

turn 4, top of omega: stay about mid trackack soon as your right at the top, be looking to the right, down the hill, for the cornerworker station. Dive for it because you going to get swung real wide on the exit. You should exit on the downhill far to the left. Coming down the hill you make a slight right to set up for 5, get close to the right hand curbing.

turn 5: Hold as tight as you can, but the big bikes run a different line than the small bikes. The tighter you can hold this, the better your angles are for turn 6. Most of the big bikes tend to apex early and run a bit wide, perhaps mid track.

turn 6: Dive for the righthand curbing because its going to swing you wide. Easy on the gas as the suspension unloads, and ride through the headshake. You must have a dampner for this corner! You will end up wide on the left side of the track. Follow it around to turn 7 which is a very slight kink, no need to get out of your tuck or off the gas.

Turn 8: Grab your sack and feel some brass balls You can pretty much enter it mid track and hold it there. Alot of newbies hug the inside, and theres rubber tire boogers on the far outside. There are some dips inthe track and ridges from the paving, its not uncomon to feel your rear end moving up and down an moving around a bit. In the end of turn eight, it straightens up a bit before turn 9. Drift to the left side. Hit a couple of downshifts.

turn 9: Basicaly dive for the cone as soon as you can see it. I tend to turn in too late. If you hit the apex at the cone by the curbing, there is a dip there, and your leaned over alot, its not uncomon to hit your foot or toe here. Your line should cary you out wide to the left almost to the entrance to the hot pit lane. If your exiting mid track, go faster

The first lap of the video is a 1:39 sec lap, lost of room for improvement
post #6 of 22 Old 07-25-2004, 3:35 PM
SPEED

Nice!!! Thanks G-Force . I'm going through my first and last experience there, and definately have lot's of room for improvement. 6 was messing me all up, and people with a good line were kicking my A$$ there. I was one of the newbies you were speaking of in turn 8 early on, I think in part because I was going waay too slow, lol. That part of the track is so stinking huge, it seems like 5 big rigs could go through it side by side. I was lost out there .

SPEED.

Last edited by SPEED; 07-25-2004 at 3:36 PM.
post #7 of 22 Old 07-27-2004, 11:43 AM

Reputation Power: 20

I think I'll go watch it now. I'm jealous of the wide variety of tracks you have done there; we have bumpy and short, bumpy and long then bumpy and closed for noise problems. *sigh*

Jordan H.
The three most feared words in racing, "Powered by Honda".
post #8 of 22 Old 07-27-2004, 2:43 PM
SPEED

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomad
I think I'll go watch it now. I'm jealous of the wide variety of tracks you have done there; we have bumpy and short, bumpy and long then bumpy and closed for noise problems. *sigh*
The track in the second part of the vid was redone so it's not too bad now. Before, it had some serious tractor ruts in it...almost took me out a few times . Guess since the cages roll on all th same tracks in the US, we just have to deal with a few messed up spots .
post #9 of 22 Old 07-27-2004, 3:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Force Junkie
Not perfect, but alot of the corners he was dodging traffic. But the lead rider in blue is riding a better line than the camera bike.

Turn one: start on the right side 3 or 4 feel from the edge, tipit in just after the last cone. There is a black haze of skid marks from the cars, I stay inside. Dive for the apex, there is a big rectangular patch, try to stay inside which puts your knee over the curb. This will swing you wide on the exit to almost the edge of the track.
Agree with Mike, the camera guy was waaayyyy wide through 1.

Quote:
turn two: Start a gradual drift to the left and enter turn two about 10 feet or so from the left. There are a couple of lines through this, but its a pretty consistant radius so just rail around it. If your in too tight, there is a pavement seam and some choppy bits right in the middle. At the exit, I dive for the right corner or else I tend to go wide.
I've seen people take different approaches to 2. Some treat it as a double apex, others do hug the inside all the way through. I stay just to the outside of the seam and choppy part. On exit it tightens up just a bit so make sure you're looking through the turn.
Quote:

turn 3: again, drift back to the right and set up for this corner. There are several ways to do this one two, some turn in late, hold it to the left, and sweep around to turn 4. Otheres turn in earlier, and sweep it far right and shoot straight up the hill.
As Mike mentioned, there's multiple lines through here...try a couple and see what works best for you. After cornerworking last month, I'll be trying a different line next time I'm out there to see if I like that one better as 3 is one of my worst turns.

Quote:

turn 4, top of omega: stay about mid trackack soon as your right at the top, be looking to the right, down the hill, for the cornerworker station. Dive for it because you going to get swung real wide on the exit. You should exit on the downhill far to the left. Coming down the hill you make a slight right to set up for 5, get close to the right hand curbing.

turn 5: Hold as tight as you can, but the big bikes run a different line than the small bikes. The tighter you can hold this, the better your angles are for turn 6. Most of the big bikes tend to apex early and run a bit wide, perhaps mid track.
If you blow 5 you blow 6-9 as your drive is ruined. As Mike said on 5 try to stay in tight to set up for 6.
Quote:

turn 6: Dive for the righthand curbing because its going to swing you wide. Easy on the gas as the suspension unloads, and ride through the headshake. You must have a dampner for this corner! You will end up wide on the left side of the track. Follow it around to turn 7 which is a very slight kink, no need to get out of your tuck or off the gas.
There's a cone on the exit of 6 that you'll see as you come over the rise. If you're to the right of the cone your set for the drive down into 7.
Quote:

Turn 8: Grab your sack and feel some brass balls You can pretty much enter it mid track and hold it there. Alot of newbies hug the inside, and theres rubber tire boogers on the far outside. There are some dips inthe track and ridges from the paving, its not uncomon to feel your rear end moving up and down an moving around a bit. In the end of turn eight, it straightens up a bit before turn 9. Drift to the left side. Hit a couple of downshifts.
I've seen different lines through 8. I've seen the mid line that Mike mentions and have seen alot of the fast guys hold it in pretty tight through 8. I personally try to stay more on the inside third as I find it a bit smoother.

Quote:

turn 9: Basicaly dive for the cone as soon as you can see it. I tend to turn in too late. If you hit the apex at the cone by the curbing, there is a dip there, and your leaned over alot, its not uncomon to hit your foot or toe here. Your line should cary you out wide to the left almost to the entrance to the hot pit lane. If your exiting mid track, go faster
Alot of first timers out there turn in too quick in 9. Wider entry into 9 and look for the cone. Wen you see it dive in. I try and stay just to the outside of the dip.

The first guy has better lines than the camera guy in the vid.

Last edited by RRWANTR; 07-27-2004 at 3:14 PM.
post #10 of 22 Old 07-27-2004, 3:39 PM

Who was riding? I don't have experience on the race track (well, not much) but it didn't seem right... he was passing everyone, left, right and center but he seemed really wide on every corner.

He also had the laptime over the tach instead of the speedo... uh... I don't imagine that would be my choice.

Jordan H.
The three most feared words in racing, "Powered by Honda".
post #11 of 22 Old 07-29-2004, 2:57 PM

I watched the big track part of the footage. There was to much traffic to get a clean lap in, but the lead bike was taking some half decent lines.

T1 try to down shift 2 times there are 4 cones I shift down at cone 2 and cone 1 to 4th gear get on the inside of the patch and roll back on the throttle.

Turn 2: Once you get the bike up right up shift I guess on a new 600 you can keep a tight line all the way through, but if not get tight on entry wide in middle tighten up on exit, but get wide again after exit up shift. (Fast part of the track makes up a lot of time)

Turn 3: I stay to my right down shift 2 times look for the bud building make my turn.

Turn 4: two turns A lot of people go wide 4A keep it to the right don't go to the left like most do you want to go strigt up the hill. If you do it right you will feel like you are about to fly. To keep the speed your going to have to go wide at the very top and then turn it hard just past the corner worker 4b. Then let the bike go to the left part of the track don't cut over to fast you will be losing you drive. You might be able to catch an up shift before getting to T5, but you do have to down shift befor 5

Turn 5: look up as far as you can I find myself looking a the top of turn 6 keep it tight around 5 then point the bike right at turn 6

Turn 6: Well you will catch an up shift before 6 keep it tight because before you get over the hill if not you will be fighting the bike back on the track. The front wheel will be light even if you are on a 125 the speed will carry you wide. Just point to T7 and get on the gas.

Turn 7: nothing here move along people, but stay on the left part of the track.

Turn 8: another place where most people go wide to the left don't do that stay tight and grab a set of balls. If you say turn eight is not that bad you are not going fast enough. Let the bike get in the middle of the track there is a little stright before you get to turn 9 (Fast part of the track you will make up a lot of time)

Turn 9: catch 2 down shifts and look for the cone there is a little dip there but if you are at speed you will go wide at the exit.

You will have to run a 1:30 lap time to win the middleweight novice class most of the time.

Don't drive a hearse in the carpool lane.
F.D. 2844
post #12 of 22 Old 07-29-2004, 3:48 PM
SPEED

Thanks a lot guys!!! This is exactly what I need! You are getting me fired up to get out here, and I love it!!!

Question coderedcbr, Are the shifting patterns that you mentioned all good for a 600, or are they mostly for the 125? Nick was working with us at Grattan, but we were having a bit of difficulty with the shift points because he was in "125" mode.

On a side note...I have your clutch, and pull start ready for you .

SPEED.
post #13 of 22 Old 07-29-2004, 4:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPEED
Thanks a lot guys!!! This is exactly what I need! You are getting me fired up to get out here, and I love it!!!

Question coderedcbr, Are the shifting patterns that you mentioned all good for a 600, or are they mostly for the 125? Nick was working with us at Grattan, but we were having a bit of difficulty with the shift points because he was in "125" mode.

On a side note...I have your clutch, and pull start ready for you .

SPEED.
For the most part the shifting should be about the same. Gearing and speed that you will be carrying could change all of this. Are you going to be at the track this August for WSMC? If so I would recommend doing the track day on the Friday before the event. I'm getting my Clavicle put back together next week so I might try to sneak out on the track. How much for the clutch and pull start?

F.D. 2844
post #14 of 22 Old 07-29-2004, 5:25 PM
SPEED

Quote:
Originally Posted by coderedcbr
For the most part the shifting should be about the same. Gearing and speed that you will be carrying could change all of this. Are you going to be at the track this August for WSMC? If so I would recommend doing the track day on the Friday before the event. I'm getting my Clavicle put back together next week so I might try to sneak out on the track. How much for the clutch and pull start?
How about $30 for the both .

I'll be on vacation in Oregon at the end of next month hopefully catching more Rogue Salmon . John is getting ready to paint the body work, and then I will try to get the forks done, and pick up a damper, along with steel braided lines soon as my CR250 is sold. I'm hoping to get in for at least the last two races this season in WSMC.

I still need to find out what gearing the fast guys are using on their 600RRs for the big track....any ideas where to look?

SPEED.
post #15 of 22 Old 07-29-2004, 5:31 PM

Go on this site and ask> WSMC BBS

Ok on the clutch and pull start.

F.D. 2844

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Regional > Western USA

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page