LOL at Seattle - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Western USA Regional discussion for members that live in Alaska, Arizona, California, Hawaii, Idaho, Nevada, New Mexico, Oregon, Washington.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 35 Old 08-25-2004, 11:11 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

LOL at Seattle

Been saying this for 6 months.

http://www.bizjournals.com/seattle/s...6/daily14.html

http://msnbc.msn.com/id/5696874/

I like how Forbes uses the word 'Vaunted'
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 Old 08-25-2004, 11:42 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

post #3 of 35 Old 09-20-2004, 4:40 PM

Re: LOL at Seattle

Quote:
Originally Posted by booth23
Been saying this for 6 months.

http://www.bizjournals.com/seattle/s...6/daily14.html

http://msnbc.msn.com/id/5696874/

I like how Forbes uses the word 'Vaunted'
Precisly why I'd never live in the metro area...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 35 Old 09-20-2004, 4:58 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holeshot
Precisly why I'd never live in the metro area...
True dat, time to move far, far away, in a galaxy far far away
post #5 of 35 Old 09-20-2004, 5:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by booth23
True dat, time to move far, far away, in a galaxy far far away
Having just come back from doing some work in downtown San Francisco last week.. I'm thinking that Seattle might actaully be a weirder city! and have fewer Starbucks per square mile
post #6 of 35 Old 09-21-2004, 10:39 AM

Booth, Sacramento's looking pretty good on that list....
post #7 of 35 Old 09-21-2004, 11:26 AM

So does it cost wheelbarrows of money just to afford a decent 1-bedroom apartment, or what?
post #8 of 35 Old 09-21-2004, 11:38 AM

Seattle and surrounding area are pretty nutty price wise.

Really Sac is now going that direction. Ever expanding housing tracts as far as the eye can see and compounding traffic problems. My pal's house out in Roseville has almost doubled in price since he bought it less than 4 years ago! It's a cackerjack on a 6000' lot! F-that chit....

I'm not making much money on my house but having more than an acre of landscaped property and a decend sized 6 bedroom house at just a hair above the state's median price makes me pretty happy and that's impossible to equate to a monetary value. Plus no state income tax!

I lived in Sac for three years. Nothing personal man but after enduring the blazing summers (almost too hot to ride) and the constant brown smoke haze from the ever presence wild fires and of course the flash-flooding that seems to happen every year..... you can keep it! Those sorts of things typically do not show up on the bean-counter's spread sheets. Oh and how they could possibly rate Sac high for business with the pathetic excuse for an airport is WAY beyond me! It's worse than the airports in most of the turd-world countries I've visted.

Oh.. then there is the traffic on the I-5, I-80, and Hwy50 corridors. Man.. the only way to get around there is on a bike. Upside is you guys get to lane split YOU FREAKING LUCKY BASTAGES!!!

<-- my 4 year paroll from CA is just about up, they can't drag me back now!!!!

Last edited by Holeshot; 09-21-2004 at 11:41 AM.
post #9 of 35 Old 09-21-2004, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chain
So does it cost wheelbarrows of money just to afford a decent 1-bedroom apartment, or what?
How about some of these as examples for 1-2 bedroom apartments:

$800 -> $1400

$800 -> $2800

up to $4900

Yeah. sign me up right now..
post #10 of 35 Old 09-21-2004, 2:43 PM

Holeshot, it's all what you're used to.... I grew up here, so the heat, etc. doesn't bother me, I thought the same about Redlands when I went to school there.... You are totally right about the housing market. My wife and I like to go through the model homes for design ideas and there's no shortage of them. The problem is that they're building them in flood plains, and other places where there naturally aren't trees, so they're giong to be brutalized by the sun, waste electricity on AC when no ones home, etc. Oh, and $450K for a 3000 sq. ft. house on 1/8th acre is nuts!

I agree on the traffic, but you have to plan around it. I bought my house counter-commute to the rush on 50. Even better is that it's only 15 miles door-to-door via the bike trail. There's very little traffic now, and there'll be even less over the next 5-6 months.
post #11 of 35 Old 12-12-2004, 1:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sacto929
Booth, Sacramento's looking pretty good on that list....
Oh good gawd. 3 years in Sacto was barely mor than I could take. If ride like a squid in shorts and thongs then it rocks but man.. summers at over 110F is was more than I could stand wearing full gear and you MUST go at least 40 miles to get to anything resembling a curved road unless you want to blast along the river and the pavement and traffic make it WAY lame.

Let me put it this way. Seattle is VASTLY superior to Sac... although there are a lot of really loose chics at the State college there..
post #12 of 35 Old 12-12-2004, 2:53 AM
Supporting Member

Reputation Power: 34

it took you 3 months to come up with that?
post #13 of 35 Old 12-12-2004, 2:54 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Oh good gawd. 3 years in Sacto was barely mor than I could take. If ride like a squid in shorts and thongs then it rocks but man.. summers at over 110F is was more than I could stand wearing full gear and you MUST go at least 40 miles to get to anything resembling a curved road unless you want to blast along the river and the pavement and traffic make it WAY lame.

Let me put it this way. Seattle is VASTLY superior to Sac... although there are a lot of really loose chics at the State college there..
Yeah right. In the Seattle area, you get 2 months good riding weather. And 2 months of roll the dice weather. The rest of the year, forget it. It might as well snow 1/2 the year here, wouldn't make any difference.
post #14 of 35 Old 12-12-2004, 11:08 AM

Quote:
How about some of these as examples for 1-2 bedroom apartments:

$800 -> $1400

$800 -> $2800

up to $4900

Yeah. sign me up right now..
Holy shiat, batman!
post #15 of 35 Old 12-12-2004, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deez
Yeah right. In the Seattle area, you get 2 months good riding weather. And 2 months of roll the dice weather. The rest of the year, forget it. It might as well snow 1/2 the year here, wouldn't make any difference.
All I'm saying is I've lived in both places for nearly the same amount of time. And a fleet of Semi's could not drag me back to Sac...

I'll grant you that it's a hell of a lot warmer but between the smoke of the summer fires, heat and the monssoons, traffic and it as more than I could take. Upside is you'll be able to legally lane split like a wild-azzed mo-fo. Which is good because it's a skill that's required around there.

If you are into skiing then it's pretty good by CA standards since the good slopes are withing a 2 hour drive (typically) and once you *get* to the mountains there are plenty of sweet roads to blast around on but they are best in the spring and fall when there are not so many tourists.

Also, make sure you rent/buy a place that's on an elevated piece of land. things tend to flood around there in during the thaw and the fall.

The only gripe I have with the weather here is that some of the best highways like Windy, Johnston and North Cascades close up around November and some do not re-open until June (depending on snow-pack).

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Regional > Western USA

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page