Splitting Lanes - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Western USA Regional discussion for members that live in Alaska, Arizona, California, Hawaii, Idaho, Nevada, New Mexico, Oregon, Washington.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 Old 05-19-2007, 2:12 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

Splitting Lanes

Having spent 6 years in CA, I got very used to splitting lanes during my commute. Now that I'm in AZ, I really miss it. Considering the whole reason for making lane splitting legal was to provide constant air for air-cooled bikes in the heat, I'm wondering about the lack of this law in AZ. It's quite a bit hotter here for a longer time than in CA (and we have the traffic situation down as well), so how is it that lane splitting isn't legal here?

Hopefully some Arizonans can provide some insight, or even some support when I petition for it...

I'm off to search the statutes on the web - wish me luck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 05-19-2007, 3:07 PM

Re: Splitting Lanes

If someone knows a site that will tell us where it is and is not legal to do this that would be cool too
post #3 of 14 Old 05-19-2007, 3:25 PM

I'm scared to do this. I don't think it's legal in Canada anyway
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 Old 05-19-2007, 7:05 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinfuldragon View Post
If someone knows a site that will tell us where it is and is not legal to do this that would be cool too
Motorcycle Riding Laws by State
State-by-State Motorcycle Laws
post #5 of 14 Old 06-27-2007, 5:34 PM

Reputation Power: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reds330 View Post
Hopefully some Arizonans can provide some insight, or even some support when I petition for it...
Count me in
post #6 of 14 Old 06-12-2008, 9:40 AM

That's an awesome site, reds! Very good info
post #7 of 14 Old 06-13-2008, 11:32 PM

I to love to do this. I spent a lot of years in the UK, and it is encouraged over there. And doing it over a ton is just exhilarating!!! Now I am in Tucson it sucks we can't do it legally.
I asked a cop why it's illegal, and got this answer: It's for your safety, as the car driver's don't pay attention to what's coming up behind them and may hit you.

Sounds like the cagers need to take MORE driving lessons, not punish us bikers!

Count me in on your petition...
post #8 of 14 Old 07-04-2008, 12:22 PM Thread Starter

Well, the petition thought is still on my mind. I just haven't gotten around to starting it. Actually, I should probably do a bit more research on how to write it up so it's easy to pass.

The whole Leo argument about it being "for our safety" is complete B.S. - especially when I see motorcycle cops split lanes on a daily basis.
post #9 of 14 Old 07-04-2008, 1:59 PM

Reputation Power: 144

Send a message via MSN to LoopyLee Send a message via Skype™ to LoopyLee

Quote:
Originally Posted by usafric View Post
I to love to do this. I spent a lot of years in the UK, and it is encouraged over there.
I live in the UK and coming home tonight was a prime example of why being able to do this is brilliant.. Coming into town the traffic was really building up and moving at a snails pace so I just cruised past all of it and pulled in to the traffic just before a set of lights...

Technically I'm supposed to move back into the traffic flow if its moving (even at said snails pace), which I did when I first learned to ride, watching other bikers cruise past me behaving myself.. now I just ride carefully past the traffic like everyone else does..

What you leave behind is not what is engraved on stone monuments, but what is woven into the lives of others - Pericles

Blade Rider

post #10 of 14 Old 12-30-2008, 9:58 PM

I understand that here in California, it's not about what's legal, but what's not illegal. It is not illegal for more than one vehicle to share a single lane; therefore lane splitting is legal. Speeding and reckless driving are, however, still illegal, so split with care, my friends.
post #11 of 14 Old 12-31-2008, 2:25 AM

Reputation Power: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by goletablade View Post
I understand that here in California, it's not about what's legal, but what's not illegal. It is not illegal for more than one vehicle to share a single lane; therefore lane splitting is legal. Speeding and reckless driving are, however, still illegal, so split with care, my friends.
Yep - exactly right. Matter of fact, the CHP in an FAQ says it's legal, as long as it's done in a safe and prudent manner (which means it's quite subjective). And technically you can only pass on the right side (CVC Division 11, Chapter 3, Article 3, section 21754 (b) and (c)).

I had the piss scared outa me one day: Motor cop bleeped his siren @ me while I was splitting. I slid over and he simply passed me by. He pulled a cager over a mile or so up the road - I figured he was scanning registration tags or the like..

Also - if you didn't know, motors can use the HOV lanes anytime, unless specifically prohibited from doing so...I got good @ looking this sort of crap up after a CHP threatened to write me up for using the HOV lane up in L.A. (21655.5, sub-paragraph (b) - it used to state it in italics for emphasis )

One I often wonder about: When the on-ramp traffic control lights start up, since the signs say "one car per green" (or however many it says) can I run the red light??? I mean a "car" is very specifically defined in the code book. I'm oh-so tempted as I'm eligble for another traffic school!
post #12 of 14 Old 12-31-2008, 2:26 AM

heh - just noticed original post date! boy - i need to check that a bit more carefully...
post #13 of 14 Old 01-15-2009, 11:36 AM

Reputation Power: 14

Quote:
One I often wonder about: When the on-ramp traffic control lights start up, since the signs say "one car per green" (or however many it says) can I run the red light??? I mean a "car" is very specifically defined in the code book. I'm oh-so tempted as I'm eligble for another traffic school!
That's a no. There's an article in Friction Zone that addresses questions like this, and the CHP officer answered that "cars" mean vehicles of any kind (including motorcycles and trucks). You'll be cited.

To a student: no,no,no...straighten then brake.
http://cbrider.com/
http://v4hondabbs.com/
post #14 of 14 Old 01-15-2009, 2:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSGT-R View Post
That's a no. There's an article in Friction Zone that addresses questions like this, and the CHP officer answered that "cars" mean vehicles of any kind (including motorcycles and trucks). You'll be cited.
Yeah, sort of figures. I know from experience that individual CHP officers are not the final say, the vehicle code is. Probably something buried in there that qualifies "car" to mean any vehicle when it comes to the ramp lights.

I do know that in court, if you can show whatever you were cited for was "safe" (which is very subjective) good chance you can catch a break (like running a stop light that won't change - treat like a stop sign, make sure traffic is clear, and go).

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Regional > Western USA

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page