Mandatory Insurance - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Western USA Regional discussion for members that live in Alaska, Arizona, California, Hawaii, Idaho, Nevada, New Mexico, Oregon, Washington.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 27 Old 03-06-2008, 12:09 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

Mandatory Insurance

That new California law is kind of pissing me off. I live in the High Desert and in winter it gets below freezing, so to save a few bucks I cancel my insurance during these months. Now the DMV terminates my registration and charges me a fee and makes it a huge hassle to reinstate my registration. I think its pretty crappy.

Anyone? Anyone?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 Old 03-06-2008, 12:19 PM

Reputation Power: 17

Re: Mandatory Insurance

See if you can work something out with your insurance company? That does kind of suck but it is a way of minimizing the number of uninsured people out there. I know in some other states they are required to notify the DMV every time insurance is cancelled. I know my insurance company has me pay for an entire year but they base the rates on the fact that there are about five months a year that my bike is in storage.
post #3 of 27 Old 03-06-2008, 4:26 PM
-Z-

Reputation Power: 13

Send a message via AIM to -Z-

Was gonna suggest the same thing as SlickWill....some companies let you get policies that are "seasonal" meaning that the coverage only applies during certain times of the year, but it's not cancelled during the off-season.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 27 Old 03-06-2008, 4:27 PM
-Z-

Of course, the other question you have to ask yourself is, will you be paying more or less by switching to a company that does allow seasonal policies?

At about 400 a year for two bikes, I'm okay with keeping it year round...
post #5 of 27 Old 03-06-2008, 5:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Z- View Post
Of course, the other question you have to ask yourself is, will you be paying more or less by switching to a company that does allow seasonal policies?

Expecially when you get those freak days above 40 where you can go for a nice spin

-jh
post #6 of 27 Old 03-06-2008, 5:37 PM

which new law?

i'm not required to show proof of insurance to the dmv.

you may have been pegged because you've gotten an insurance violation recently.

i like the way it is in CA. in other states (e.g., mass), registration is linked to registration. and "state-regulated" insurance premiums are 2-3 times higher than sunny california.
post #7 of 27 Old 03-06-2008, 5:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhonda41 View Post

Expecially when you get those freak days above 40 where you can go for a nice spin

-jh
Yep, we had one of those last weekend and I took advantage of it. It was 63 and sunny at about noon. 20 degrees and full blizzard by 7pm.

At $156 a year for full coverage I don't bother with trying to "save" an money.
post #8 of 27 Old 03-06-2008, 6:26 PM

Reputation Power: 27

Quote:

DUDE! You live in Sacramento. Storage for you is basically overnight parking.

Ride Red
post #9 of 27 Old 03-06-2008, 8:00 PM Thread Starter

I don't care if I'm paying 1 cent for my policy, it should be my decision. I'm not paying for 6 months insurance for one warm day in winter to ride.

If you fail to maintain financial responsibility
  • Registration of your vehicle will be subject to suspension (effectiveOctober 1, 2006). DMV will begin the process to suspend the registration of your vehicle if liability insurance is cancelled and a replacement policy is not submitted within 45 days, or your insurance company has not electronically provided evidence of insurance within 30 days of a registration card being issued on a newly acquired vehicle, or if you provide false evidence of insurance.
If your vehicle registration is suspended, contact the Vehicle Registration Financial Responsibility Program at 1-866-664-4545. NOTE: Vehicle financial responsibility services cannot be completed at your local DMV field office.

So you see what a hassle they make it. Not only that but they charge an extra fee to reinstate your registration. They also REQUIRE the insurance company (I'm sure they happily comply) to rat you out if you cancel your policy. The insurance companies are LOVING this.
post #10 of 27 Old 03-07-2008, 2:38 AM
-Z-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol' Gravy Leg View Post
which new law?

i'm not required to show proof of insurance to the dmv.
You're not required to actually show them an insurance card when you pay your registration fee, the insurance company notifies them electronically that you have an insurance police for that vehicle. Believe me, it's to the point now where in some cases it doesn't matter if you show them an insurance card, they still require electronic confirmation from your insurance company.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nedro View Post
DUDE! You live in Sacramento. Storage for you is basically overnight parking.
Yeah....gotta love this town! :-D

Quote:
Originally Posted by strategy400 View Post
I don't care if I'm paying 1 cent for my policy, it should be my decision. I'm not paying for 6 months insurance for one warm day in winter to ride.

Not only that but they charge an extra fee to reinstate your registration. They also REQUIRE the insurance company (I'm sure they happily comply) to rat you out if you cancel your policy. The insurance companies are LOVING this.
If you think the reinstatement fee is bad, try registering a vehicle as Non-Operational, and then go to register it as operational a couple months before the year is up. They make you pay for the entire year, even though ten months of it have already gone by....

Well the whole reason they made this new law is because you get a lot of people who get insurance, get a vehicle registered, and then let the insurance lapse because they don't want to pay for it or can't pay for it. Then you have uninsured drivers on the road. And I gotta tell you, I've met a lot of people who just don't care, they continue to drive without any insurance at all. Hell, I know about a dozen people who insist on driving on suspended licenses too!

Personally, I think it's almost criminally irresponsible for them to allow a 45 day period in which someone can be driving around without insurance but with a valid registration still. If that driver hits someone, who is going to pay for the injured person's medical care or repair to that person's vehicle? And the way I see it, people without insurance are a lot more likely to run from an accident scene than they are to stop and make sure everyone is okay. Hell, the main reason most people carry insurance, especially for people who carry more than the legal minimum, is so that they don't have to pay out-of-pocket for all the various costs involved in an accident. So do you really think an uninsured driver/rider, who will have to pay for everything himself, is gonna stop?

Strategy, it seems you and I take almost completely opposite views on this. You seem to feel this law is unfair and goes too far. I feel this law doesn't go far enough. Regardless, I think we can both chalk this one up to everyone paying for the crimes of a few.
post #11 of 27 Old 03-07-2008, 10:37 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Well the whole reason they made this new law is because you get a lot of people who get insurance, get a vehicle registered, and then let the insurance lapse because they don't want to pay for it or can't pay for it. Then you have uninsured drivers on the road. And I gotta tell you, I've met a lot of people who just don't care, they continue to drive without any insurance at all. Hell, I know about a dozen people who insist on driving on suspended licenses too!

Personally, I think it's almost criminally irresponsible for them to allow a 45 day period in which someone can be driving around without insurance but with a valid registration still. If that driver hits someone, who is going to pay for the injured person's medical care or repair to that person's vehicle? And the way I see it, people without insurance are a lot more likely to run from an accident scene than they are to stop and make sure everyone is okay. Hell, the main reason most people carry insurance, especially for people who carry more than the legal minimum, is so that they don't have to pay out-of-pocket for all the various costs involved in an accident. So do you really think an uninsured driver/rider, who will have to pay for everything himself, is gonna stop?

Strategy, it seems you and I take almost completely opposite views on this. You seem to feel this law is unfair and goes too far. I feel this law doesn't go far enough. Regardless, I think we can both chalk this one up to everyone paying for the crimes of a few.
Ok, but do you feel that a person who insures for a month, gets his tag, lets insurance lapse, get his registration terminated, who desired to have driven uninsured (illegally) anyway is going to care about driving without registration? Hell, they were going to drive illegally anyway, with probably the same penalty (cited/impounded?). The only people this law affects is people who care about driving insured/registered. The law abiding people are the only ones getting screwed by being forced to insure or pay extra registration reinstatement fees/hassles for periods of time they have no intention of driving. And if you think non-op is the answer see the post above.

The illegal drivers will drive illegally regardless, and plow into you with no insurance just as they would registered or unregistered.
post #12 of 27 Old 03-07-2008, 11:22 AM

OK, heres the deal. I got the same notice and freaked out, cuz I have an RC51 and an R1 but can only ride one at a time. I used to switch off till this new B+%##SH*[email protected] law came into play. There is a form you can fax to the DMV called a AFFIDAVIT OF NON USE. What that does is state that you will not operate the vehicle/motorcycle on CA streets. Once you decide to use it again, just go to your DMV and have it lifted. That will keep your registration current and you wont have to pay for a Non-Op. You can download and print the form off the DMV website. Call the number on your notice to get the fax number. I will look for it in the meantime. This will eventually affect everyone in CA. Even vintage car owners. Just a way for Arnold to tax the people who dont have his kind of money to through around.

Last edited by dicksneeed; 03-07-2008 at 11:35 AM.
post #13 of 27 Old 03-07-2008, 11:33 AM

AFFIDAVIT OF NON-USE... FORM 5090 FAX NUMBER IS 1-866-320-7918
TO SPEAK W/ REP (FOR THIS ISSUE ONLY)1-866-664-4545
Or if you still have time you can mail it to
STATE OF CALIFORNIA DEPARTMENT OF MOTOR VEHICLES
P.O. BOX 997405
SACRAMENTO, CA. 95899-7405

post #14 of 27 Old 03-07-2008, 8:26 PM
-Z-

Quote:
Originally Posted by strategy400 View Post
Ok, but do you feel that a person who insures for a month, gets his tag, lets insurance lapse, get his registration terminated, who desired to have driven uninsured (illegally) anyway is going to care about driving without registration? Hell, they were going to drive illegally anyway, with probably the same penalty (cited/impounded?). The only people this law affects is people who care about driving insured/registered. The law abiding people are the only ones getting screwed by being forced to insure or pay extra registration reinstatement fees/hassles for periods of time they have no intention of driving. And if you think non-op is the answer see the post above.

The illegal drivers will drive illegally regardless, and plow into you with no insurance just as they would registered or unregistered.
Yeah, but now he's got the tag, so he's less likely to get pulled over, which is why he got the insurance at all in the first place....
post #15 of 27 Old 03-10-2008, 8:47 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Yeah, but now he's got the tag, so he's less likely to get pulled over, which is why he got the insurance at all in the first place....
Yeah, but notice nothing in this law prevents this. Penalizing law abiders because of what criminals are going to do anyway is useless and wrong.

dicksneeed, thanks for the info but my registration is already revoked. That is handy info for the future though.

I'm just disgusted with the DMV. They refused to register my pickup too because it "needs a weight certificate" . The lady was a real bitch. We were so caught off guard (weight certificate? wtf? ) we forgot to ask for an extension to our temp reg (already had to get one for smog). Went back up to the window and she demanded we stand in the first line again (which went way out the front door). What happened to treating people like human beings?

$57 dollars, a loooong gas burning drive to an approved scale, and much hassle later I go back to the DMV and they register the truck without asking for the weight certificate.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAGGHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Regional > Western USA

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page