Salmon Falls Road! - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Western USA Regional discussion for members that live in Alaska, Arizona, California, Hawaii, Idaho, Nevada, New Mexico, Oregon, Washington.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 04-13-2008, 5:41 AM Thread Starter
-Z-

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 13

Send a message via AIM to -Z-
Salmon Falls Road!

Okay, so this is for everyone who is around the Sacramento area here in California.

So, as we all know, Salmon Falls Rd and Highway 49 are favorites for those of us who like the ride the twisties. Well, just a word of warning. Found out today from a guy I know who rode Salmon Falls just recently that there are quite a few turns where there is debris in the roadway and in some cases gravel and dirt. Apparently the logging operations around the Forest Hill have started, and because of that there's a lot of crap rolling down the hills and flooding the roadway. So if you go riding out there (like I will be here in about 6 hours or so) BE CAREFUL.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 05-04-2008, 12:18 PM

Reputation Power: 0

Re: Salmon Falls Road!

SALMON FALLS ROAD - CAUTION!!
Local residents are increasingly frustrated by excessive speed by riders!! I have evidence that they are going to increase calls to law enforcement! Be on alert and SLOW DOWN. Many locals pulling on/off road (from driveways), many horse trailers, many blind curves with driveways!! Slow down or die! Best to choose another twistie. Too much local traffic and angry residents.
post #3 of 10 Old 05-04-2008, 5:43 PM

I was there on Friday at about 4pm, as I have really grown to love that road.

I saw the darndest thing. Along the big north straight near the beginning, two residents--cooter n' skeeter--were just sitting at the end of their driveway with a radar gun pointed at oncoming traffic. I thought they could have been surveyors, but they just like good ol' folk lounging in fold-out chairs.

Couple of miles later, an oncoming sports car signals me by flashing their headlight. Right around the next hairpin was a CHP. I thought I was toast--although I had slowed down do the received semaphore message. I've got no mirrors; and, I was about to guiltilty turn around to see if I was in trouble.

Few more turns later, it seemed like I was okay. I think I wasn't the LEO's target because I was driving normally when I passed cooter and skeeter (actually, I was trapped behind a car and I don't like to pass on double yellow).

As for debris, there is a dark spill line that goes on for miles. Looks like it could be oil. But I never slipped on it (I'm running D208 GPa's though). The is one tight turn that *always* has gravel on it but that's at the very north end.

Instead, I continued on to 49 then 193 and on to wentworth springs rd. And I must say that wentworth springs is the most spectacular ride I've ever been on! It's got everthing: scenery, little to no traffic, predictable turns. And all the sand from the snow is gone!

Welcome to the board, spend. Thanks for the info.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 05-05-2008, 1:35 AM Thread Starter
-Z-

Gravy Leg and Spend, thanks for the updates. Btw, for all the local riders, mosquito ridge road still has snow on it as of just a few hours ago...a lot of snow too!
post #5 of 10 Old 05-10-2008, 9:22 PM

i haven't ridden mosquito ridge yet. but from the map, it looks awesome.

I rode icehouse rd. the other day. and it's free and clear.

great ride. i passed 3 cars total for 50 miles of twisties!

i found a little suprise at the end when i went to come back on wentworth springs. well the far east end of wentworth still has a couple of 2 foot snow drifts. i navigated the first only to find another. then i started worrying about getting stuck with absolutely no one around. so, i turned around.

beautiful drive. some of the icehouse hairpins are just sick.
post #6 of 10 Old 05-11-2008, 1:01 AM Thread Starter
-Z-

Icehouse IS amazing, this is true.

I did 193 and Salmon Falls/49 a couple times today, followed by 3 runs up and down Auburn-Folsom Road...there were A LOT of bikes out today!!

Oh, and back to Salmon Falls, the damn bullseye almost got me today!! I came around the turn, saw it, and it distracted me for just a fraction of a second to where I didn't turn in at the right time. Ended up right on the inside edge of the asphalt. I'm talking like the bike was wobbling from just riding the ragged edge, about to fall over on to the rock face! THAT DAMN BULLSEYE ALMOST DID ME IN!!!
post #7 of 10 Old 05-11-2008, 1:45 AM

oh noes! i hate that bullseye. i have to concentrate on the white line on the other side of the road so i don't even look at.

it's right where you getting on the gas from hard left; so, you're not going that fast. but, since it's a boulder, it'll for surely kill you.

no LEO? that's good.

i've heard of the riding auburn, but i'm not sure where it is (what part).

nice day for a ride.
post #8 of 10 Old 05-11-2008, 12:27 PM Thread Starter
-Z-

Actually, did run into one LEO while I was out. After the second time we did Salmon Falls, when I almost bit the bullseye, we were down in El Dorado Hills so I took my little group up in to Rescue to hit some roads out that way. When we were coming back down a CHP bike officer ended up joining up with us and passed us by as we were entering folsom, so we took a shortcut through Folsom to get around Old Folsom so we could end up ahead of him again. Sure enough, after we did Auburn-Folsom Road, about 5 minutes later he comes rolling by the gas station we were stopped at. Good thing we got out in front and out of sight of him!

As for Auburn-Folsom, the part that interests me starts at Auburn-Folsom and Douglas and goes up all the way in to Auburn right by I-80 up there. But the easiest way to get there from say South Sac would be to take 50 out to Folsom, take the Folsom Blvd exit, make a left, and just keep going. Folsom Blvd turns in to Folsom-Auburn Road once you make it over that huge bridge over the river in Folsom, and once you cross Douglas it turns into Auburn-Folsom Road...
post #9 of 10 Old 05-21-2008, 7:10 PM

Reputation Power: 0

Ol' Gravy Leg, would like to talk to you off line about what you saw that day. can you email me at [email protected] ??? thanks
post #10 of 10 Old 05-21-2008, 11:26 PM

EM sent.

welcome to the board.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Regional > Western USA

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page