Super Squid 2012 - Wrecked at Work - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Wrecked Motorcycle Photos & Stories This section of the site is for wrecked motorcycles. Photos of wrecked bikes, before and after photos. How you wrecked it & how you fixed it. Most of us have laid it down or lost it for one reason or another. Tell your stories here.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 11-16-2012, 12:33 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 10

Super Squid 2012 - Wrecked at Work

Bought a 2006 CBR600 F4i in April. Pretty much rode it to work every day. Extremely cautious took back roads and drove the speed limit. On one of the backroads that stretched about a quarter mile I would open it up to about 85mph for no more than 5 - 6 seconds and that was my thrill for the day. It was over a bridge, so no danger of cars poking out and trying to turn in front of me. As I said, I was super cautious. So I work at a car dealership which has a front and back entrance to the parking lot. Every single day that I would ride or even drive for that matter I would enter through the front, which had a somewhat sharp incline but manageable if approach at a reasonable speed. I got comfortable and was able to come in with out slowing to a crawl. Then one day, on my lunch break I exit through the back, and as I go down the substantially larger decline than the front exit I am startled a little and remind myself that I need to be careful coming into this entrance. So fast forward, I've eaten my Subway sub and am coming back to work, I decide "I'll go in the back entrance, I never have before in my life, why not start now, what could go wrong?" So I do, somehow forgetting that just an hour prior I had told myself to be careful. Well I guess I thought I was careful as I came in at the same speed that I would have for the front entrance, however as I was coming in I noticed a car was also leaving, so I had to change the angle of my turn. That, combined with the speed that was too fast for this inclined, jumped me on the back of my bike, throught me off course almost hitting a line of cars. At this point I'm out of control but haven't hit anything (yet), with my wrist thrown back on the throttle I try to lean the bike away from the cars, only to increase in speed as I can no longer control the throttle, the bike is accelerating and getting even straighter, not turning away from the SUV that I'm about to hit. So in the last possible instance I realize, "I'm about to hit this parked car, I need to BRAKE!" Which I'm not even sure I did. I end up running straight into the parked SUV, crumpling my fairings and well, considering where the tank is positioned, you do the math. At this point I'm pissed, extremely light headed and sick to my stomach (not literally). One of the mechanics runs out, (he was in the car that made me change my turn angle, though this was in no way his fault) and helps walk me over to sit down. Two other guys walk my bike over. I ended up with three stitches in my leg, what felt like a broken back and the worst bang up to my pride EVER. This lesson was invaluable. I used to laugh at people who talked about dropping their bike at a stop sign, I got cocky with my safety precautions that nothing could happen to me. Well, safety can only help, it can't fix stupid sometimes and I was stupid. I now know that I need to double my safety efforts, not get lazy and try to approach turns with inclines at a 90 degree angle! Or at least slow down!

Before!

No after shots on my phone! I'll get them up if anybody cares to see. Thanks for letting me get this off my chest!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 11-16-2012, 1:03 PM

Reputation Power: 25

Re: Super Squid 2012 - Wrecked at Work

Ouch! Mannn.. how'd it go over at work? It was very much an accident and not like you were trying to show off, atleast. Hopefully the bike came out ok in all of this. Sounds like you had a short trip to the hospital. Get it fixed and get back out there. You get that nice Texas weather soo don't waste it! Glad you're alright.
post #3 of 7 Old 11-16-2012, 2:20 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by eu4ic1000 View Post
Ouch! Mannn.. how'd it go over at work? It was very much an accident and not like you were trying to show off, atleast. Hopefully the bike came out ok in all of this. Sounds like you had a short trip to the hospital. Get it fixed and get back out there. You get that nice Texas weather soo don't waste it! Glad you're alright.
Fortunately I work at an awesome dealership, where the owner actually came and tended my wounds, then she drove me to the walk in and waited while I got stitched up. She was more concerned about me than the auction unit that I hit, and fortunately, aside from part of my front fender being lodged in between the rim and tire of the car the damage was very minimal. You could barely tell I hit it. My bike on the other hand needed new forks, new wheel, new radiator and new headlight. All of which I got for a steal on craigslist (except the headlight, still looking). All in all for wheel, forks and rad I spent $225, straight and near perfect condition. My bike is put together and ready to ride, except for the fact that it won't start I'm trying hard to get it going before I can't! I have about a month left!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 11-16-2012, 6:09 PM

Reputation Power: 8

These types of stories are very important for those that have never been in an accident (like myself) and for those who haven't been in one for a long time..... We all need to remember what were riding and what they can do if we lose control and not focus. Watching you-tube crashes and saying "Oooh , Aahhh!" is one thing but hearing a fellow rider's story hits home.

Thanks,
post #5 of 7 Old 11-16-2012, 6:20 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RR929RBC View Post
These types of stories are very important for those that have never been in an accident (like myself) and for those who haven't been in one for a long time..... We all need to remember what were riding and what they can do if we lose control and not focus. Watching you-tube crashes and saying "Oooh , Aahhh!" is one thing but hearing a fellow rider's story hits home.

Thanks,
Thank you. I'm glad this experience can help. It certainly has shown me that you truly can never be TOO careful. I thought I was so safe and tried so hard not to fall into the stereotype of "idiot sportsbiker" that I got lazy and cocky. I was lucky this happened at relative low speed and minimal damage to me and (sort of) my bike!

Beware of those parking lot entrances!! They can throw ya!
post #6 of 7 Old 11-16-2012, 6:21 PM

Reputation Power: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by RR929RBC View Post

Thanks,
INDEED!!
Knowing (and seeing first hand) what my 954 is capable of, my head is always on a swivel and I'm always looking 50+ yards ahead. You can't afford to be as 'inattentive' on a bike as you can when you are driving a cage.

Your mind should also always be on two things:
1. How to stop really quick in an emergency (which requires brake modulation as well)
2. How to get out of a jam quickly if you can't stop (this requires familiarity with how the bike behaves).

OP, it sounds like you are aware of this already as you maturely admitted that you crashed because you rode outside your performance capability envelope.
post #7 of 7 Old 11-16-2012, 6:28 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportbike_Mike View Post
INDEED!!
Knowing (and seeing first hand) what my 954 is capable of, my head is always on a swivel and I'm always looking 50+ yards ahead. You can't afford to be as 'inattentive' on a bike as you can when you are driving a cage.

Your mind should also always be on two things:
1. How to stop really quick in an emergency (which requires brake modulation as well)
2. How to get out of a jam quickly if you can't stop (this requires familiarity with how the bike behaves).

OP, it sounds like you are aware of this already as you maturely admitted that you crashed because you rode outside your performance capability envelope.
Definitely, I mean after having ridden for a month I was basically a pro, right? I guess wrong... ...expensive lesson learned! Now if I could just get back in the saddle and start getting better! Dang bike! er unmechanical me

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > General Motorcycling > Wrecked Motorcycle Photos & Stories

Tags
cbr , f4i , wreck

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page