CBR 929RR Semi-Truck "Final Destination Moment" - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Wrecked Motorcycle Photos & Stories This section of the site is for wrecked motorcycles. Photos of wrecked bikes, before and after photos. How you wrecked it & how you fixed it. Most of us have laid it down or lost it for one reason or another. Tell your stories here.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 01-25-2013, 2:41 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

Angry CBR 929RR Semi-Truck "Final Destination Moment"

I ALMOST DIED 01/23/2013, I'm FROM NORTH TEXAS AREA.

I was headed north bound on hwy 75 towards Anna, I was passing through Melissa almost to Anna, I noticed a tie down on a semi-truck that was about 200feet in front of me become loose and start flopping around, well I slowed down got in my left hand lane waited for a dodge truck to pass the semi so I could haul ass around it, about the time the dodge gets to the cab of the semi, a BIG ASS IRON SAW HORSE (It was at least 5 feet wide by 4 feet tall and was made of that rusted looking steel/iron piping, HAD TO WEIGH AT LEAST a few hundred pounds), thing flies off the back off the trailer into traffic flipping down the center between both lanes of the road. I had about 2 seconds of reaction time (which seemed to be an eternity) to swerve and miss the big hunk of metal the size of a squat rack. I missed it by 2-3 feet.

Luckily, all the paying close attention to details when I ride, definitely paid off, and most likely saved my life. If I had no slowed down when I noticed the tie strap, that thing that flew off the trailer truck would have landed right on top of me going about 70mph.

I sped up to the cab honked my horn a million times and flagged him to the side of the road. He pulled over, and at this point my adrenaline and heart was pumping so much I just kept driving another 4 miles until I pulled into work. To my knowledge nobody behind me got hurt either b/c I didn't see anything on the news that day.

If I was in my Jeep driving to work, I most likely would have been driving closer to the semi, probably talking on a cell phone, or listening to music not paying as much attention as I do on a bike. It would have definitely totaled my jeep.

So, I just wanted to share my story and this weekend I am going and buying a GOPRO to attach to my bike because of all the highway driving and stupid drives I see daily.

This highway scared the SH*T out of me when I was learning to ride.. and lets just say it still does!

Sorry for the rambling! BE SAFE!!!!!

THANK YOU JESUS!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 01-25-2013, 3:00 PM

Reputation Power: 22

Re: CBR 929RR Semi-Truck "Final Destination Moment"

When I'm in traffic, either in my cage or especially on the bike, my head is pretty much on a swivel.
Particularly on multi-lane highways, I try to look ahead several yards and watch the dynamic of the traffic.

Good to see that you are ok and that practiced cognizance paid off for you.

Even for the ones that do pay attention, this should be a staunch reminder to always be alert, especially on a little bitty motorcycle.
post #3 of 10 Old 01-25-2013, 3:16 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportbike_Mike View Post

When I'm in traffic, either in my cage or especially on the bike, my head is pretty much on a swivel.
Particularly on multi-lane highways, I try to look ahead several yards and watch the dynamic of the traffic.

Good to see that you are ok and that practiced cognizance paid off for you.

Even for the ones that do pay attention, this should be a staunch reminder to always be alert, especially on a little bitty motorcycle.

I see stuff like this on youtube, and TRUETV, and you never think this can happen to you.. but it will definitely change the way you act when driving ANYTHING on a road. Freak Accidents DO HAPPEN, and it is a scary thing!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 01-25-2013, 3:32 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 15

Not that it is okay but this is exactly why when im on the highway between cars, i ride like real close/pretty much on top of the lane divider... if i gotta get passed, i can change lanes instantly and get away from a dangerous situation. Also so that the driver in front can clearly see me in their side mirror
post #5 of 10 Old 01-25-2013, 3:36 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyknick1015 View Post
Not that it is okay but this is exactly why when im on the highway between cars, i ride like real close/pretty much on top of the lane divider... if i gotta get passed, i can change lanes instantly and get away from a dangerous situation. Also so that the driver in front can clearly see me in their side mirror

Yeah I won't ride too close to cars anymore but I do ride pretty freaking close to the center lane divider, so I can see ahead of me in traffic or highways, but like I said if I was riding close about to pass the semi instead of slowing down and waiting, I wouldn't be here today typing right now ha.

My lesson learned is that just because you think you are safe at that point in time and nothing can go wrong, there is ALWAYS a FREAK risk in something happening, and always have a back up plan or a way out.
post #6 of 10 Old 01-25-2013, 3:46 PM

Reputation Power: 9

When you said "I was passing through Melissa almost to Anna" I so thought this story was going somewhere else ;-)

Good that you get to ride another day though.
post #7 of 10 Old 01-26-2013, 3:06 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGF1970 View Post
When you said "I was passing through Melissa almost to Anna" I so thought this story was going somewhere else ;-)

Good that you get to ride another day though.
Was waiting for someone to say something about that haha
post #8 of 10 Old 03-12-2013, 11:31 PM

wow! Glad you saw ahead. Be safe out there.
post #9 of 10 Old 03-13-2013, 12:02 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 198

Welcome to public roads.
Keep staying alert - you saved your own life right there!
post #10 of 10 Old 05-20-2013, 10:38 AM

Glad you made it through that but your comments about driving your jeep, talking on the phone and playing radio...not paying much attention...well you're a rider so I hope that doesn't interfere with your attention to other riders! I too sometimes talk on phone etc but always lookout for bikers as it onky takes a fraction of a second to change some lives forever!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > General Motorcycling > Wrecked Motorcycle Photos & Stories

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page