Hey guys, newbie here... :'( - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Wrecked Motorcycle Photos & Stories This section of the site is for wrecked motorcycles. Photos of wrecked bikes, before and after photos. How you wrecked it & how you fixed it. Most of us have laid it down or lost it for one reason or another. Tell your stories here.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 12-10-2013, 10:23 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

Hey guys, newbie here... :'(

Hi all,
I'll try keep it easy to follow and straight forward without getting you all lost..

SO
Its 2010, and I want a bike so very badly.
Of course, friction with parents caused an outroar at home at the idea of getting a motorbike.
So I look into them anyway and read about the 250RR.
I fall in love, but develop a general idea how most of them have been abused, thrashed/bikes are too expensive to run and maintain blah blah... (parental influences conquered personal choices)..

3 years later, 2013.
A few guys at work begin talking about bikes and stuff.
A sudden jolt of abandoned desire, I SO BADLY WANT A BIKE AGAIN.
I head out to buy some gear.
I get : Shoei XR1100 w/Chromatic Pinlock, Dainese 2 piece racing pelle, Trq Touring boots and Metal pro gloves.

I went overboard with the gear, but got almost 1/3 off the total price at the end !

Anyways,
I'm looking at bikes and a guy at work offers to me spin his 2010 250R around the car park, and it goes well... but it felt like a bicycle with a lawn mower engine.
I know bikes have a little bit more excitement to offer, even for a beginner...

So I find a 250RR from 1999, gorgeous maroon colour.
Bike wasn't started in a while, so the guy changed the fuel and it fired up nicely.
Having quite a bit of hands-on with cars, I listen to the engine for unusual ticks and clicks but this thing sounded great. (I checked coolant and oil before, no mayo or metal)
Also, the carbies were seriously imbalanced.. the bike struggles to keep a steady idle but I overlook that as a balance is needed either way.

So I'm fairly impressed except the fact that there are some fairing bolts missing, minor scratches on the RHS fairing and engine cover.
But I overlook this as soon as I take it for a spin and decide it may be a good investment.
So I buy it.

Not too long later,
Disaster.

A rookie mistake,
Taking a sharp left turn in suburban streets, I miscounted the gear shifts *should have just 'felt' the necessary gear*, and I shift into 1st and the rear wheel locks up and I lowside on the LHS.

Way to christen my Dainese outfit, fortunately the damage on the gear was extremely minimal, Helmet didn't cop anything luckily !

So the clutch lever is broken, LHS indicator, new scratches, broken shift lever, mirror, windscreen is split and H frame is out of shape.

I limp it home in 1st gear, and I notice some chain rattle/crunching, but overall the bike was okay.
After a few days I get most bits replaced, I roll up my sleeves and get to work.
New indicator, clutch lever & clipon, H frame and windscreen.

I then had to go Europe for a few weeks so I left the bike under covers..

When I arrived back,
I got back to work on it and found out it wouldn't fire no more.

Got my tools together, and set out to clean the carbies.
Spray here, spray there,
Eventually got everything to drool carby fluid.

New fuel, carbies back on and after a minute of jump starting it from a car (5-8 second pulses on the starter), it growled into life !
Now it has super crisp engine response, but it still idles erratically.. balance needed.

I decided to take it for a quick spin up the street and back.
Palms sweaty, hearts racing, I hope on after a warmup and set off... to discover the bike won't shift into 2nd !
And it still does the crunching/rattling noise.

So I immediately pull over, and head back to inspect and try roll the bike into 2nd... with no success.
I replaced the shift lever since the lowside, the action seems fine.
It clicks into 1st with no problems, pops into neutral nicely and the clutch is smooth.
Only thing is, when I speed up in 1st and pop the gear to reach 2nd, its like I hit a wall - it won't go into 2nd.

So this is where my story has come so far with my biker career
And I'm nowhere near finished with it.

Finally, my question is
has anyone ever had shifting problems like this ?
If so, how do I sort this out?
I'm mechanically competent but I have never worked on a gearbox before so I'm very edgy about playing with it..

The bike is essentially finished and I was about to get it back on the road until I discovered this problem

So I ask you, Biker Family,
Can you help me out ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 12-10-2013, 10:33 AM
Global Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 230

Re: Hey guys, newbie here... :'(

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocketpunch View Post
I decided to take it for a quick spin up the street and back.
Palms sweaty, hearts racing, I hope on after a warmup and set off... to discover the bike won't shift into 2nd !
And it still does the crunching/rattling noise.

So I immediately pull over, and head back to inspect and try roll the bike into 2nd... with no success.
I replaced the shift lever since the lowside, the action seems fine.
It clicks into 1st with no problems, pops into neutral nicely and the clutch is smooth.
Only thing is, when I speed up in 1st and pop the gear to reach 2nd, its like I hit a wall - it won't go into 2nd.

So this is where my story has come so far with my biker career
And I'm nowhere near finished with it.

Finally, my question is
has anyone ever had shifting problems like this ?
If so, how do I sort this out?
I'm mechanically competent but I have never worked on a gearbox before so I'm very edgy about playing with it..

The bike is essentially finished and I was about to get it back on the road until I discovered this problem

So I ask you, Biker Family,
Can you help me out ?

Either the shift lever is fouling against something (very common on some bikes, like the EL250), or the shift shaft that passes through the engine may be bent.
How badly damaged was the shift lever you replaced?
You replaced it with an OEM lever or aftermarket?

Regarding the idle, are all four headers warming up equally?
Spray starter fluid around the intake manifolds and listen for any change in engine speed - this will indicate air leaks.

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
post #3 of 9 Old 12-10-2013, 10:38 AM Thread Starter

Yup, there are more details to what I did to go about fixing it.
I went straight to Honda to get a new lever, so its an OEM part.

The shift lever I replaced was cracked in half, so when I rode it I could only press down on it to keep it in 1st for the ride home.

And yes, all 4 headers are warming up equally.
All cylinders are firing.
The engine revs fine, it just jumps from about 1700RPM to 2500, and sometimes hangs to 3000 after a long blip.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 12-10-2013, 10:42 AM
Global Moderator

Quote:
Yup, there are more details to what I did to go about fixing it.
I went straight to Honda to get a new lever, so its an OEM part.

The shift lever I replaced was cracked in half, so when I rode it I could only press down on it to keep it in 1st for the ride home.

And yes, all 4 headers are warming up equally.
All cylinders are firing.
The engine revs fine, it just jumps from about 1700RPM to 2500, and sometimes hangs to 3000 after a long blip.

The lever came in a bag marked "HONDA" though?
Even dealers can sell you aftermarket parts unless you specify you want OEM.
Do you mean you had to hold the shift lever down to keep it in gear?
Sounds like air leaks then or mixture screws need adjusting.
It was idling the same way before you cleaned the carbs?
You did remove the mixture screws and clean out the pilot circuits?

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
post #5 of 9 Old 12-10-2013, 10:50 AM Thread Starter

Yeah the lever came in a white official Honda bag, and it was a specific OEM part.
No mistakes there..
No, because the lever was now literally just a rod, I nudged it down into 1st like you normally would, and had to use my hand to pull it up into neutral once I stopped.
It was a really tricky ride home.

And yeah it was idling the same way before I cleaned them.
The only change I noticed was it made the throttle response much more accurate and snappier, and ofcourse when starting the bike.
All I cleaned was the float chambers and jets, I didn't touch the mixture screws because I wanted to get the bike in running order to have someone balance it for me.

The gear lever feels good, just like on a normal bike, its just that when you go to shift into 2nd past neutral it just doesn't click into gear.
It springs up but doesn't ever engage a new gear.
post #6 of 9 Old 12-10-2013, 11:12 AM
Global Moderator

Quote:
Yeah the lever came in a white official Honda bag, and it was a specific OEM part.
No mistakes there..
No, because the lever was now literally just a rod, I nudged it down into 1st like you normally would, and had to use my hand to pull it up into neutral once I stopped.
It was a really tricky ride home.

And yeah it was idling the same way before I cleaned them.
The only change I noticed was it made the throttle response much more accurate and snappier, and ofcourse when starting the bike.
All I cleaned was the float chambers and jets, I didn't touch the mixture screws because I wanted to get the bike in running order to have someone balance it for me.

The gear lever feels good, just like on a normal bike, its just that when you go to shift into 2nd past neutral it just doesn't click into gear.
It springs up but doesn't ever engage a new gear.

But it wouldn't let you shift above neutral into the rest of the gears?
Don't waste your time trying to balance the carbs until after you strip out all the jets, chokes and mixture screws and clean them properly.

If the shifter took a hard whack it may have broken something in the shift mechanism. You will need to remove the clutch to inspect that.

post #7 of 9 Old 12-12-2013, 1:54 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bladeracer View Post
But it wouldn't let you shift above neutral into the rest of the gears?
Don't waste your time trying to balance the carbs until after you strip out all the jets, chokes and mixture screws and clean them properly.

If the shifter took a hard whack it may have broken something in the shift mechanism. You will need to remove the clutch to inspect that.
Yes that is true, 1st and neutral just like they should.

Update

I went to try my luck today again.
And I found out it can shift into 2nd (and all the other gears) if I'm a little more forceful with the shifter.
Like I tapped it into 1st and then swiftly shoved it up and I went into 2nd.
Kinda confused.
Could this be a slightly bent shift rod or something like the knuckle?
I haven't taken it off since I assembled the new lever on so I'm not certain.

It'll do it, not every time and not confidently.

Also for the carbys,
I thought the idle would be unsteady because each cylinder (carb) isnt synchronized with the other, causing differences in power from every cylinder?
You think it needs a complete clean ?
Cause like I said I've done the jets in the float chambers, and sprayed through every jet port until carby cleaner whizzed out the other side.
post #8 of 9 Old 12-12-2013, 2:02 PM
Global Moderator

Quote:
Yes that is true, 1st and neutral just like they should.

Update

I went to try my luck today again.
And I found out it can shift into 2nd (and all the other gears) if I'm a little more forceful with the shifter.
Like I tapped it into 1st and then swiftly shoved it up and I went into 2nd.
Kinda confused.
Could this be a slightly bent shift rod or something like the knuckle?
I haven't taken it off since I assembled the new lever on so I'm not certain.

It'll do it, not every time and not confidently.

Also for the carbys,
I thought the idle would be unsteady because each cylinder (carb) isnt synchronized with the other, causing differences in power from every cylinder?
You think it needs a complete clean ?
Cause like I said I've done the jets in the float chambers, and sprayed through every jet port until carby cleaner whizzed out the other side.
Sounds like the shaft that runs through the engine is bent.
Yes, that's all synchronisation does. It ensures each carb is drawing the same amount of air at idle.
You didn't clean the pilot circuits though, and those are the ones you need for smooth idle and starting.
But, if all four headers are running at similar temps the carbs are probably working okay. What are the mixture screws set to currently?

post #9 of 9 Old 03-02-2014, 12:00 PM Thread Starter

Sorry for the long absence,
Lots of commitments lead to no sleep and pondering on the interwebs.

Update.

Got the bike sorted.

The shifting demon I had was that the clutch lever wasn't adjusted properly (noob)
At this time i've replaced the chain, sprox and adjustable levers.
Evrything is running as it should, sorted out a new fairing kit with Ozzymotorcyclefairings.

The fairing colour was slightly different than oem, but in actual fact I like it more than what it was..
So gona get the tank done too !
Speaking of which,
The fairing lined up very well with the mounting points so no bad points there... except the tank cover is useless.
Does not hug the tank properly (may be that my tank isn't 100%) and also the long bolt that holds the rear of the tank down isn't long enough to hold the tank and cover.
So it ended up cracking a bit and I removed it altogether .

Anyways I appreciate the suggestions offered to remedy the faults,
I've learned a lot about the bike and bikes in general so I hope I can be more precise and resourceful in the future.

I just have another question that may cause flame because there is probably a thread about it somewhere..

Tyre suggestions for the babyblade?

Been looking a something for everyday/weekend mountain road attacks.
Have looked into Pirelli sport demons, just wondering if there are similar and interesting rivals to those out in the market.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > General Motorcycling > Wrecked Motorcycle Photos & Stories

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page