Sad reminder - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Wrecked Motorcycle Photos & Stories This section of the site is for wrecked motorcycles. Photos of wrecked bikes, before and after photos. How you wrecked it & how you fixed it. Most of us have laid it down or lost it for one reason or another. Tell your stories here.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 55 Old 03-22-2014, 8:49 AM Thread Starter
Global Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 230

Sad reminder

Please ride safe out there people.
We've lost five riders here in just seven days :-(
Carnage continues on WA roads - The West Australian

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 55 Old 03-22-2014, 3:04 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 98

Re: Sad reminder

That is never good to hear obviously.......I am afraid the same thing is about to happen here as spring approaches.....every single year unfortunately, our insurance regulations have deterred younger sport bike riders from getting into riding but even the old guys lose their minds early in the season
post #3 of 55 Old 03-22-2014, 3:35 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 7

I for one, don't have mixed feelings about that. We all know what a true sport bike rider seeks, and that's not cheap. Playing with death, trick it on every corner, what a great feeling........ The value of life increases exponentially with the risk we take, that's what we feel in those moments....yes, that's madness and we love it. Sometimes in the morning, before entering the garage with the helmet in one hand and the key in the other i'm so afraid that my feet trembles. After i start the engine i forget everything about fear and almost everything else.....i'm the perfect machine, one with the bike . Respect for those who died on two wheels knowing the risk from the first place, for those who didn't ...that is called natural selection
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 55 Old 03-23-2014, 12:59 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 98

Quote:
Originally Posted by suicidebike View Post
I for one, don't have mixed feelings about that. We all know what a true sport bike rider seeks, and that's not cheap. Playing with death, trick it on every corner, what a great feeling........ The value of life increases exponentially with the risk we take, that's what we feel in those moments....yes, that's madness and we love it. Sometimes in the morning, before entering the garage with the helmet in one hand and the key in the other i'm so afraid that my feet trembles. After i start the engine i forget everything about fear and almost everything else.....i'm the perfect machine, one with the bike . Respect for those who died on two wheels knowing the risk from the first place, for those who didn't ...that is called natural selection
I get what you are saying, after almost three decades of sport bike riding I get a surge of intense awareness when I get on my bike that compares with nothing else. Over time I am not sure if I am a better rider or less of a risk taker, or possibly both, unlike you though I am not as flippant about getting killed because there are people that depend on me to provide for them so I try at this time of my life to manage the risk more responsibly as compared to my younger years.......go a little easier friend there are people out there that would like to see you live until the next day
post #5 of 55 Old 03-23-2014, 3:06 PM

Reputation Power: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxman1196 View Post
I get what you are saying, after almost three decades of sport bike riding I get a surge of intense awareness when I get on my bike that compares with nothing else. Over time I am not sure if I am a better rider or less of a risk taker, or possibly both, unlike you though I am not as flippant about getting killed because there are people that depend on me to provide for them so I try at this time of my life to manage the risk more responsibly as compared to my younger years.......go a little easier friend there are people out there that would like to see you live until the next day
Perfectly said and yet there's no coin here, there are not only two sides, things seems to be interconnected somehow on many levels. Maybe a risk taker must connect more dots for his way back home.............but, what if you can loose the line between two dots just for not being a risk taker?
post #6 of 55 Old 04-14-2014, 4:47 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 66

Garage

Just to add on to this madness...

4/13/14 7:00pm
Motorcycle v. car collision at intersection. Two eyewitnesses describe the rider face down with a huge pool of blood around him. I was working on Serenity when I first heard about it. A lady pulled up to drop some young-ones off where I live and told me to be careful riding. She is a nurse and just got off duty at the hospital. With tears in her eyes she described having to drive by the rider, seemingly killed in the accident. Police stated that the rider was pronounced dead on the way to the hospital.

4/13/14 8:15pm
Single vehicle motorcycle accident on Foley Beach Expressway. Condition of the rider is unknown at this time.

Be safe out there guys! The lady didn't describe the bike to me at first, and my roommate and friend were out riding tonight (separately). My heart just sank when she told me about it as I feared it was one of them. Just earlier in the day my roommate was complaining that I don't go fast enough on our rides (5-15mph over speed limit is typical for me).

Hopefully know he knows why I play safely on the streets and only open up a little bit when it is safe to do so. Middle of spring break traffic right now, so a lot of young, dumb, and possibly drunk college students running around here not paying any attention.

Edit: There was a possible third accident (motorcycle involved) at around 10:00pm only about 150 yards from the location of the fatal accident.

/**Serenity**\ 2002 Honda CBR954RR Fireblade

"But risks must be taken, because the greatest risk in life is to risk nothing. Only the person who risks is truly free."
post #7 of 55 Old 04-14-2014, 5:40 AM Thread Starter
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRDemon View Post
Just to add on to this madness...

4/13/14 7:00pm
Motorcycle v. car collision at intersection. Two eyewitnesses describe the rider face down with a huge pool of blood around him. I was working on Serenity when I first heard about it. A lady pulled up to drop some young-ones off where I live and told me to be careful riding. She is a nurse and just got off duty at the hospital. With tears in her eyes she described having to drive by the rider, seemingly killed in the accident. Police stated that the rider was pronounced dead on the way to the hospital.

4/13/14 8:15pm
Single vehicle motorcycle accident on Foley Beach Expressway. Condition of the rider is unknown at this time.

Be safe out there guys! The lady didn't describe the bike to me at first, and my roommate and friend were out riding tonight (separately). My heart just sank when she told me about it as I feared it was one of them. Just earlier in the day my roommate was complaining that I don't go fast enough on our rides (5-15mph over speed limit is typical for me).

Hopefully know he knows why I play safely on the streets and only open up a little bit when it is safe to do so. Middle of spring break traffic right now, so a lot of young, dumb, and possibly drunk college students running around here not paying any attention.

Edit: There was a possible third accident (motorcycle involved) at around 10:00pm only about 150 yards from the location of the fatal accident.

Bugger :-(
Sorry to hear that RR.

We're still having carnage here, two drivers charged over the deaths of two riders this week.
Last week when I checked, motorcycles were one-third of our road toll so far this year.

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
post #8 of 55 Old 04-14-2014, 8:11 AM

Reputation Power: 291

Send a message via MSN to setanta

Its very sad but its the risk we take and enjoy

Irish's Blog Page
Hate this Skin
Assalam-o-Alaikum
post #9 of 55 Old 04-14-2014, 9:47 AM

Reputation Power: 153

Very sad, two young ones here already. One by car the other following too close.
Another young guy on my 250/300 forum is being pressured to move up to a 600.

I prefer to copy those old guys that have ridden accident free for 60 years etc. Lots of sportbike riders have been avoiding accidents their whole life.

Around other humans, no silly risks. Not worth it. On a track, it's a choice of how far to push it but everyone around you is in the same boat, not like a kid walking to school. Big difference.

By myself, yes, no airbags so it's a managed risk. Still a motorcycle and pavement.

post #10 of 55 Old 04-14-2014, 5:11 PM

Garage

Small update on the fatal accident- It was a female rider on a full-dress Harley.. I had to go right by the spot where it happened and you can definitely see the blood-stained road, there must have been a good bit of blood spilled to make the spot as big as it is (blood is decently thick).

From what I understand the rider really wasn't wearing any gear except for a helmet, and it was only one of those little half-shell helmets. I still haven't managed to get the full story on what happened though, if I do I'll update you.

"But risks must be taken, because the greatest risk in life is to risk nothing. Only the person who risks is truly free."
post #11 of 55 Old 04-14-2014, 7:47 PM

Reputation Power: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRDemon View Post
Small update on the fatal accident- It was a female rider on a full-dress Harley.. I had to go right by the spot where it happened and you can definitely see the blood-stained road, there must have been a good bit of blood spilled to make the spot as big as it is (blood is decently thick).

From what I understand the rider really wasn't wearing any gear except for a helmet, and it was only one of those little half-shell helmets. I still haven't managed to get the full story on what happened though, if I do I'll update you.
WOW, so sad and so scary at the same time! I do believe, when it is your time to go, no matter what you are doing, its your time to go! Life is scary and unpredictable. Life is short and sometimes unappreciated! Be thankful and be happy everyday, it can change in an instant!
post #12 of 55 Old 04-16-2014, 9:55 PM

Reputation Power: 0

Wearing a 1/2 clam shell is heavily geared for the Harley crowd, most wear bandanas and wife beater T shirts, so it was an act of futility, was it not?
Some would disagree with "your time to go" and "natural selection" or "people that depend on me to provide for them so I try at this time of my life to manage the risk more responsibly." I'd agree with those that disagree.
All of these are phrases of denial. All of it is flirting with death. No helmet changes that. No careful and slow method changes it either. Many die by the act of another and you're never protected against a 2500 lb car on a bike. Preserving life wins the debate, doesn't it, especially with family responsibilities, as if no one here has a parent, sister/brother, or child? Does it compare to sky diving, scuba diving, horseback riding, and other recreational activities that seem more innocent in nature but if you check, it's not less dangerous? Should we live in a plastic bubble and engage in nothing exciting?
A balanced view of what you choose to do, and how to do it is a personal one. "Ride Safe" means what? When you make the decision to increase your risk of death mounting a motorcycle, it's rather ignorant to qualify that risk by how you do it, or how someone else failed, or when your time is up. If you set yourself on fire as a stunt routinely on weekends and you finally burned to death, is that an accident too? What supports the theory of natural selection, or going at a predestined time? As far as riding a motorcycle like an old lady, one could argue you're about to become complacent and never see what hits you. If you ride, it was your decision to do so. It's that simple. After the fact, it's no surprise. If you get hit or roll high side, you're chances of making it are slim at best. Putting any other label on it is perhaps driven by emotion, not cognitive thinking. It's deadly, and you can die or be disfigured for what's left of your life. Safe riders still die. Riders with full gear, still die. Statistics don't really change until you're off a motorcycle. Professionals and imbeciles alike get buried every day from motorcycle accidents.

It's best to face the reality, soberly, and either assess your temporary pleasure for the permanent grieving family you leave behind that is was really worth it, than not to think about it while you can and just stop, and spare everyone the experience. Who doesn't already understand that you can take months/years of recovery to feed yourself again and you have supporting loved ones to handle that for you until you can, if you're lucky? That the sheer pain of losing limbs or skin while enduring several surgical procedures to look less frightening to people in restaurants is worth the fun of riding? If you ride guilt free now, how will you feel after your wreck and who can cover the costs of medical and loss of work for a year on this forum, or would want to?

One fraction of a second will catch you by surprise, and changes your whole life, job, future, and relationships, if you live, are the facts. A minor fender bender for a car, is death for the biker. Accidents happen, and you can't prevent it. But don't worry about it, anything you worry about is in itself a distraction when reflex speed is needed to execute a move that can save your life. I do that best when I'm what beginner riders call a maniac. The adrenaline rush works in my favor. So far, so good. I rather get the finger than a wood box. Is that less value for life than the next rider? Is that more insane? Well, I can verbalize and distinguish the two and not make up stories or make excuses to deny it.
The one thing riding a motorcycle for me does, is makes me happy, and I don't have to go slow, or wear a turtle suit, and it's better than slowly dying by an armed drug addict trying to rob me or getting a heart attack. When I ride, I try to stay alive and see what blind cagers are about to do to challenge that fact. When I get off the bike and realize I was protecting my life the whole time, after the ride, it deserves the same intensity, and dedication to do my best.
I made my personal decision for reasons no one else shares. It's my right. It's my life. Enjoy yours. After all, we all ride, and we're trying to stay alive, and can share the experience.

Last edited by blunt; 04-16-2014 at 10:05 PM.
post #13 of 55 Old 04-17-2014, 2:47 AM Thread Starter
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by blunt View Post
Wearing a 1/2 clam shell is heavily geared for the Harley crowd, most wear bandanas and wife beater T shirts, so it was an act of futility, was it not?
Some would disagree with "your time to go" and "natural selection" or "people that depend on me to provide for them so I try at this time of my life to manage the risk more responsibly." I'd agree with those that disagree.
All of these are phrases of denial. All of it is flirting with death. No helmet changes that. No careful and slow method changes it either. Many die by the act of another and you're never protected against a 2500 lb car on a bike. Preserving life wins the debate, doesn't it, especially with family responsibilities, as if no one here has a parent, sister/brother, or child? Does it compare to sky diving, scuba diving, horseback riding, and other recreational activities that seem more innocent in nature but if you check, it's not less dangerous? Should we live in a plastic bubble and engage in nothing exciting?
A balanced view of what you choose to do, and how to do it is a personal one. "Ride Safe" means what? When you make the decision to increase your risk of death mounting a motorcycle, it's rather ignorant to qualify that risk by how you do it, or how someone else failed, or when your time is up. If you set yourself on fire as a stunt routinely on weekends and you finally burned to death, is that an accident too? What supports the theory of natural selection, or going at a predestined time? As far as riding a motorcycle like an old lady, one could argue you're about to become complacent and never see what hits you. If you ride, it was your decision to do so. It's that simple. After the fact, it's no surprise. If you get hit or roll high side, you're chances of making it are slim at best. Putting any other label on it is perhaps driven by emotion, not cognitive thinking. It's deadly, and you can die or be disfigured for what's left of your life. Safe riders still die. Riders with full gear, still die. Statistics don't really change until you're off a motorcycle. Professionals and imbeciles alike get buried every day from motorcycle accidents.

It's best to face the reality, soberly, and either assess your temporary pleasure for the permanent grieving family you leave behind that is was really worth it, than not to think about it while you can and just stop, and spare everyone the experience. Who doesn't already understand that you can take months/years of recovery to feed yourself again and you have supporting loved ones to handle that for you until you can, if you're lucky? That the sheer pain of losing limbs or skin while enduring several surgical procedures to look less frightening to people in restaurants is worth the fun of riding? If you ride guilt free now, how will you feel after your wreck and who can cover the costs of medical and loss of work for a year on this forum, or would want to?

One fraction of a second will catch you by surprise, and changes your whole life, job, future, and relationships, if you live, are the facts. A minor fender bender for a car, is death for the biker. Accidents happen, and you can't prevent it. But don't worry about it, anything you worry about is in itself a distraction when reflex speed is needed to execute a move that can save your life. I do that best when I'm what beginner riders call a maniac. The adrenaline rush works in my favor. So far, so good. I rather get the finger than a wood box. Is that less value for life than the next rider? Is that more insane? Well, I can verbalize and distinguish the two and not make up stories or make excuses to deny it.
The one thing riding a motorcycle for me does, is makes me happy, and I don't have to go slow, or wear a turtle suit, and it's better than slowly dying by an armed drug addict trying to rob me or getting a heart attack. When I ride, I try to stay alive and see what blind cagers are about to do to challenge that fact. When I get off the bike and realize I was protecting my life the whole time, after the ride, it deserves the same intensity, and dedication to do my best.
I made my personal decision for reasons no one else shares. It's my right. It's my life. Enjoy yours. After all, we all ride, and we're trying to stay alive, and can share the experience.

It doesn't require too much cognitive ability to see that wearing protective gear and practising your road skills can indeed make crashing survivable, and it certainly reduces your recovery time, and that of those witnessing your efforts.

Yes, wearing proper gear and riding skillfully are no guarantee of your survival, there's always the "golden BB" that nobody can protect us from. But it'd be _really_ stupid to give up those simple protections, and even worse to actually try to convince others to do so...
Being able to crash and simply stand up to look at the damage is a far better result than hoping a passerby can keep you alive while waiting for an ambulance, while you lay there taking no responsibilty at all.

In Australia we have something called Medicare so it doesn't cost us anything for our (non-voluntary) medical procedures, it's all included in our taxes. In road accidents we also have compulsory third party insurance included in our registration fees to recompense people injured by our efforts - that includes yourself and passengers in your own vehicle.

In thirty road and race crashes it has never cost me anything for ambulances, surgery, hospital stays or doctors.
And my own insurances actually pay me money when I hurt myself on the track.
When I crash, I pay to repair the bike, replace my leathers, boots, gloves and lid, and put another tank of juice in as soon as I'm able to ride again.

My girlfriend and I were discussing this when we watched Breaking Bad and they were adding up Walt's medical expenses. I have friends that have won and lost their battles with cancer (one mate has beaten it twice now) and I can't imagine what their lives would've been like if they'd have had to pay for their treatments, or even if they'd had to pay for insurances to cover it.

post #14 of 55 Old 04-17-2014, 3:12 AM

Garage

^^ The biggest problem with the United States is our healthcare laws. The new passed ones are not any better than the ones that they replaced. It is terrible how much we are expected to pay hospitals for any injury, and the insurance costs are almost as bad. Under "Obamacare" the "affordable healthcare act" I am expected/required to pay $600 month just for my wife an myself; two people that do not even go to the doctor's office unless we absolutely have to. The last time I went to a medical facility I paid in advance for the appointment, which cost me $75 for the visit..... that's the only time I've been to the doctor (that I'm required to pay for) for years. $600/month? Insanity.

Anyone that believes that riding in the proper gear makes NO difference at all has either not been down or it only justifying their ignorance to the facts. In Alabama a helmet is the minimum standard by law. I choose to ride in jeans, boots, armored jacket, leather gloves, and a good helmet because I have been down without this gear. It took about a month just to get all my skin back. Now, the last time I went down I was wearing gear and walked away with a couple bruises and mildly scraped knee.... I didn't even go straight home, rather I rode around for another 45 minutes and enjoyed the fact that I was able to do so.

post #15 of 55 Old 04-17-2014, 4:48 AM

Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 122

Garage

I'm gonna sit this one out Demon, if I get started on Obama and his "plan", I lose all ability to control my rage.
Thank God for the 2 term limit, or I swear to God I'd move to Canada! Australia if I could work there and own property as I love their views on several issues.

"You live more for 5 minutes going fast on a bike than other people do in all their life"-Marco Simoncelli

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > General Motorcycling > Wrecked Motorcycle Photos & Stories

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page