Dropped her - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Wrecked Motorcycle Photos & Stories This section of the site is for wrecked motorcycles. Photos of wrecked bikes, before and after photos. How you wrecked it & how you fixed it. Most of us have laid it down or lost it for one reason or another. Tell your stories here.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 03-30-2014, 9:25 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 7

Dropped her

Well first ride of the season and she went down. I was sitting at an intersection and as I went to pull out my rear tire grabbed a slick spot and decided it wanted to lead. All I remember is looking at the bike while laying on the road. Damage doesn't seem too bad she has a rashed stator cover, cracked mirror and my turn signal needs snapped back together. I suffered some rash on my knee but my jacket saved my elbow from a similar fate so riding pants are in the future. I have a question though, for now if my stator cover isn't cracked, just rashed, can it be ridden until I can pick up a new one or no?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 03-30-2014, 10:25 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 18

Re: Dropped her

If it's just cosmetic damage and no leaks I can't see why you aren't able to ride it, glad to hear damage to yourself and the bike is minimal.
post #3 of 7 Old 03-31-2014, 2:35 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 198

If your cover has no breakage, why are you worried about the stator? Test it with your multimeter for the spec output, but I suspect it'll be fine.

I had the exact same lowside about 4 years ago, was wearing the kevlar lined jeans and leather jacket. I'd recommend leather pants, or at least textile over jeans, cause the kevlar lined jeans didn't protect sh!t for me. I got a serious raspberry on the side of my knee.
Now I wear Icon full leather pants over long johns. I also have AStars pants for track days.
Glad your ok!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 03-31-2014, 6:50 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 7

Thanks for the input guys. I was just kind of worried, call me a scrub I guess. I didn't know how much abuse they could take before calling it quits. Mine has a few gouges but there are no cracks or leaks and I started her today and she is charging fine so all looks good. I am looking at a pair of textile over jeans right now as they are more affordable for me but thanks for the warning on the Kevlar ones I was giving them thought.
post #5 of 7 Old 04-01-2014, 2:38 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 66

Garage

Sorry to hear about the off, glad it was extreme-low speed though =) I wouldn't worry about the cover unless it leaks as everyone else said, laid my 954 down at 35 and rashed the cover up a while back, about 6k miles since then and it still does the job =)

Jon- thanks for the heads-up with the kevlar lined jeans =) At least now I know not to buy them as I was actually going to pick a couple pair up for this riding season..... better to learn from someone else's financial mistakes!! =P

/**Serenity**\ 2002 Honda CBR954RR Fireblade

"But risks must be taken, because the greatest risk in life is to risk nothing. Only the person who risks is truly free."
post #6 of 7 Old 04-01-2014, 11:03 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 20

When money was tight me and my friends would just JB weld cracks and holes that came from stator damages. We'd ride it like that for whole seasons or until we could afford to change the cover.
post #7 of 7 Old 04-01-2014, 1:44 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 198

Those kevlar lined jeans are false security. IMO. The protection they offer is pretty darn minimal. I'd like to see one of those companies show us some honest testing. The only thing they do is help prevent the cotton from the jeans gets embedded in your skin as it's burning from the friction and mixing with road surface. So there is that...
But there's no abrasion protection like with leather or a good textile.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > General Motorcycling > Wrecked Motorcycle Photos & Stories

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page