Very Close Call - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Wrecked Motorcycle Photos & Stories This section of the site is for wrecked motorcycles. Photos of wrecked bikes, before and after photos. How you wrecked it & how you fixed it. Most of us have laid it down or lost it for one reason or another. Tell your stories here.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 34 Old 04-04-2014, 5:52 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 66

Garage
Very Close Call

So this morning I was on my way to a doctor's appointment this morning when I had a very close call with my baby. Some of you know that I changed my chain guard out a while back for an aluminum one from, of all places, China... The counter-shaft sprocket guard didn't fit at all, but I did manage to get the regular chain-only part of the guard to mount up decently. Well, it ended up failing in the long run.

I was going down the street at about 55mph just avoiding potholes and cracks when it happened. I'm not sure how to describe the feeling or noise, but the chain guard manage to contact the tire. Needless to say, at 55mph any tire contact by something other than the road is not good. It ended up grabbing the guard and pulling it in. It tore the guard right off and sucked it down between the tire and singing arm, stopping the tire in the process... My heart stopped as the back end froze one second, then bucked up the next. I felt the tire skid a few times as it bounced, then started rolling again.

At this point I had no idea what had happened. I pulled over to the side of the road quickly and looked back to see what I may have hit. I wasn't seeing anything, so I decided to spin her around and cruise back by the spot. I saw something black and mangled laying in the road, but wasn't able to identify what it was. Stopping at a very close by gas station I jumped off the bike and started looking for damage. That's when I noticed that my chain guard was gone. It tore into the tire in a few places, though not all the way through the tread/rubber. I saw where it hit the swinging arm as it scratched it there too. The last bit of damage was to the mud guard, which ended up with a small chip at the corner.

I went back and picked up the item that I figured had to be the guard, and sure enough it was. I can't say that I did anything to save the bike, but I just tried to relax as much as I could and stayed off the brakes. She wobbled a teeny bit as she started rolling again, but still nothing too bad happened as she straightened herself out.

Lesson learned: If the part doesn't fit 100%, don't use it! The guard held up really well for many months, but eventually it did fail. I should have discarded it from the first day that I had to modify it to fit right and stay in place. In the long run it managed to wiggle out (even checked it the other day when I had Serenity inside for general maintenance & bolt security check). I did manage to bring the guard home, so I'll get some pics and get them uploaded soon. I have to try to get pics of the tire and swinging arm after it stops raining.

/**Serenity**\ 2002 Honda CBR954RR Fireblade

"But risks must be taken, because the greatest risk in life is to risk nothing. Only the person who risks is truly free."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 Old 04-04-2014, 7:28 PM
President: Team Full Chat

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quoted: 708 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 102

Garage
Re: Very Close Call

Wow! That could have ended badly. When the you do your best to stay calm. Glad you and Serenity are ok and good to ride another day. Phew!

My 99 900RR Track Build Link:Track Build 900RRX

My Red Rocker 93 Build Link: Café 900RRP
post #3 of 34 Old 04-04-2014, 7:54 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRDemon View Post
So this morning I was on my way to a doctor's appointment this morning when I had a very close call with my baby. Some of you know that I changed my chain guard out a while back for an aluminum one from, of all places, China... The counter-shaft sprocket guard didn't fit at all, but I did manage to get the regular chain-only part of the guard to mount up decently. Well, it ended up failing in the long run.

I was going down the street at about 55mph just avoiding potholes and cracks when it happened. I'm not sure how to describe the feeling or noise, but the chain guard manage to contact the tire. Needless to say, at 55mph any tire contact by something other than the road is not good. It ended up grabbing the guard and pulling it in. It tore the guard right off and sucked it down between the tire and singing arm, stopping the tire in the process... My heart stopped as the back end froze one second, then bucked up the next. I felt the tire skid a few times as it bounced, then started rolling again.

At this point I had no idea what had happened. I pulled over to the side of the road quickly and looked back to see what I may have hit. I wasn't seeing anything, so I decided to spin her around and cruise back by the spot. I saw something black and mangled laying in the road, but wasn't able to identify what it was. Stopping at a very close by gas station I jumped off the bike and started looking for damage. That's when I noticed that my chain guard was gone. It tore into the tire in a few places, though not all the way through the tread/rubber. I saw where it hit the swinging arm as it scratched it there too. The last bit of damage was to the mud guard, which ended up with a small chip at the corner.

I went back and picked up the item that I figured had to be the guard, and sure enough it was. I can't say that I did anything to save the bike, but I just tried to relax as much as I could and stayed off the brakes. She wobbled a teeny bit as she started rolling again, but still nothing too bad happened as she straightened herself out.

Lesson learned: If the part doesn't fit 100%, don't use it! The guard held up really well for many months, but eventually it did fail. I should have discarded it from the first day that I had to modify it to fit right and stay in place. In the long run it managed to wiggle out (even checked it the other day when I had Serenity inside for general maintenance & bolt security check). I did manage to bring the guard home, so I'll get some pics and get them uploaded soon. I have to try to get pics of the tire and swinging arm after it stops raining.

Wow! I bet you had a little something in your shorts!! I would of crapped myself too! Glad you did not bring her down. Great job on not freaking out!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 34 Old 04-04-2014, 8:14 PM Thread Starter

Garage

Oh trust me when I say I was freaking out inside.. I just had to work hard to control the physical reaction to it. I almost grabbed a handful of front brake but stopped myself right as my fingers hit the lever. I just let it do what it was going to while my heart waited for it to straighten up before beating again.

"But risks must be taken, because the greatest risk in life is to risk nothing. Only the person who risks is truly free."
post #5 of 34 Old 04-05-2014, 5:07 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 77

Nice save demon, could have been very nasty!

Bike build Vblog latest Update
http://youtu.be/2ISgxtQXs9o

My 900RR Winter Project
https://www.fireblades.org/forums/hon...er-revamp.html
post #6 of 34 Old 04-05-2014, 10:08 AM

Reputation Power: 291

Send a message via MSN to setanta

Lucky you wernt on the highway

Irish's Blog Page
Hate this Skin
Assalam-o-Alaikum
post #7 of 34 Old 04-05-2014, 12:01 PM

Reputation Power: 7

Glad to hear it worked out and you stayed rubber side down man
post #8 of 34 Old 04-05-2014, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Oh trust me when I say I was freaking out inside.. I just had to work hard to control the physical reaction to it. I almost grabbed a handful of front brake but stopped myself right as my fingers hit the lever. I just let it do what it was going to while my heart waited for it to straighten up before beating again.
Are you sure it's going to be safe riding with chunks of rubber missing from the back tire? Id hate to see the tire under load and spring a leak while your driving! Just a thought Bro!
post #9 of 34 Old 04-05-2014, 1:22 PM

Reputation Power: 16

Crazy! I got one of those chain guards as well. Didn't fit (like yours), and was heavier than the plastic by far so I didn't worry about making it fit. After hearing that, it doesn't sound like it would even be worth the danger as well.

2001 Erion 929 Race Bike
1998 Ducati 748
2002 CR125/CR500 Aluminum Conversion
1994 CR500 Completely Built
2000CR250/CR500 Conversion In Process
1950 Indian Warrior 500cc Vertical Twin
1995 Mustang Cobra Turbo Built 820rwhp/879ftlbs
post #10 of 34 Old 04-05-2014, 5:36 PM Thread Starter

Garage

Thanks guys!

zfrilly- the one I got was much thinner than the stock one and aluminum, felt a little lighter than the stock guard to me, but also meant that the rear 8mm bolt that holds it on didn't actually clamp down on it. I ended up pulling a thick plastic washer in that made contact with the bolt and the guard, but after a while it ended up breaking around the bolt hole, which enabled it to "pop out" of position and contact the tyre.

BladeMan- It didn't actually take chunks out of the tyre, but it did penetrate some of the outter-rubber a little bit. I rode it home (about 20 miles) being very cautious and keeping the speed down. I waited a little bit and checked the tyre pressure, which is holding good, but haven't found a way to actually see how far it penetrated yet. I think I am going to get a plastic straw or zip-tie end and see how far in it goes, though it does not look to be more than an 1/8th inch or so into the rubber.

Been raining since yesterday so I haven't got a chance to get pictures yet. I got enough of a break to get the stock guard back on and check over the chain, which is unaffected, but it was too dark to grab pics. I'll grab a few of the mangled guard though, since that is inside.

post #11 of 34 Old 04-05-2014, 6:38 PM

Quote:
Thanks guys!

zfrilly- the one I got was much thinner than the stock one and aluminum, felt a little lighter than the stock guard to me, but also meant that the rear 8mm bolt that holds it on didn't actually clamp down on it. I ended up pulling a thick plastic washer in that made contact with the bolt and the guard, but after a while it ended up breaking around the bolt hole, which enabled it to "pop out" of position and contact the tyre.

BladeMan- It didn't actually take chunks out of the tyre, but it did penetrate some of the outter-rubber a little bit. I rode it home (about 20 miles) being very cautious and keeping the speed down. I waited a little bit and checked the tyre pressure, which is holding good, but haven't found a way to actually see how far it penetrated yet. I think I am going to get a plastic straw or zip-tie end and see how far in it goes, though it does not look to be more than an 1/8th inch or so into the rubber.

Been raining since yesterday so I haven't got a chance to get pictures yet. I got enough of a break to get the stock guard back on and check over the chain, which is unaffected, but it was too dark to grab pics. I'll grab a few of the mangled guard though, since that is inside.
Demon, sounds like you are going to be ok with the Tire! I would imagine that the aluminum would not have been able to penetrate all the way through the tire anyway! But keep checking the pressure and don't forget to wash those underwear you were wearing when it happened!
post #12 of 34 Old 04-05-2014, 6:38 PM
Global Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 230

On two occasions I've been up on one wheel when something strapped to the pillion seat has slid off the tail, hit the tyre, and been sucked in to lock up the rear wheel - sure brings the front down hard :-)

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
post #13 of 34 Old 04-05-2014, 6:47 PM

Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 122

Garage

When we were kids racing BMX we used to play a game where we would throw rags into each other's rear sprockets on the track and lock up their rear. Good times...

"You live more for 5 minutes going fast on a bike than other people do in all their life"-Marco Simoncelli
post #14 of 34 Old 04-05-2014, 6:52 PM Thread Starter

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by bladeracer View Post
On two occasions I've been up on one wheel when something strapped to the pillion seat has slid off the tail, hit the tyre, and been sucked in to lock up the rear wheel - sure brings the front down hard :-)
Ummm, I think I would've poo'd myself if I had the front up.... I was already close to it with my rear bouncing and locked up (was very brief though) let alone having the front drop down... rather quickly =)

post #15 of 34 Old 04-05-2014, 6:57 PM
Global Moderator

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 230

Quote:
Ummm, I think I would've poo'd myself if I had the front up.... I was already close to it with my rear bouncing and locked up (was very brief though) let alone having the front drop down... rather quickly =)

I got used to the front coming down hard on the '98 GSXR750, if the fuel level is below a certain level, but still way above reserve, it stops pumping fuel shortly after getting up :-)

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > General Motorcycling > Wrecked Motorcycle Photos & Stories

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page