Parting vs Selling after crash - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Wrecked Motorcycle Photos & Stories This section of the site is for wrecked motorcycles. Photos of wrecked bikes, before and after photos. How you wrecked it & how you fixed it. Most of us have laid it down or lost it for one reason or another. Tell your stories here.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 Old 05-21-2014, 8:58 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 8

Parting vs Selling after crash

Hey guys, went down on the 954 about a year ago. Low sided on my favorite twisty road at about 60mph. My gear did it's job and I walked away with sore shoulder / arm from sliding on my left arm.

But the bike was doing gymnastics or something on its way into the ditch. I found pieces of the front fairing scattered about. Didn't even bother looking for the mirrors that disappeared as I was bumming pretty hard. Tank scratched up fairly bad, crank case scratched, rear brake lever bent, all sorts of ****. But I bungeed the major pieces to the passenger seat and limped home.

Fast forward to today:

Replaced a bunch of stuff. Used front fairing, mirrors, upper stay, speedo housing back, levers, turn signal / lights housing.

My question is: Is it more friendly to my wallet to sell the cosmetically challenged 954 or part it out? I dont mind riding it with the eye-sores but I know it's going to make it hard to sell. Been looking at supermoto's and dual sports lately so have even thought of trading it in at the local stealership.

Any and all opinions would rock, sorry if I am in the wrong forum.

"too wierd to live, too rare to die"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 05-21-2014, 9:15 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

Re: Parting vs Selling after crash

I think it depends on the year and value of the bike. Is it going to be lost to you financially to repair it or just sell it.if it's going to run into anywhere a third of its value , I would part it out or sell it.but if it's that damaged that selling it is gonna be tough, just fix it am keep the ole gal.

Datguy
post #3 of 4 Old 05-22-2014, 4:30 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 20

It takes a while to part out and you can be selling the parts for over two years. Parting out, you do not see that lump sum and will more then likely not see the profit. You have to be active with the sources you are selling from and have to deal with a lot of strange people.

Selling a damaged bike, you will be low balled to death. If you accept the low ball offers it will be a easy sell, if not you can be trying to sell for months. People will continue to offer you nothing for your bike but when it sells you will see that lump sum.

It all depends on what you can deal with. Parting you will make more but will not see that money, selling whole is less profit but worth not dealing with all the nut that contact you. EBay is a great way to sell but after the shipping and eBay fees you end up taking like 20-30% of that profit away.

I was parting three bike, a F2, 04 gixxer 1k, and 08 hayabusa. Took me two years to get rid of the bulk of stuff and still have things left over. I'm done with the parting out thing, just too much wok.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 05-23-2014, 10:13 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 198

Stealership.
That one word says it all.
They may not even be interested in it, because it will just go to auction and they would get practically nothing for it.
And it seems to me, that there's plenty of 954's being parted out at any given time.
I say sell it as a parts bike, or fixer upper, and take the lump sum and be done with it.
Negotiating, communicating, packing, shipping, - all takes time and effort. Do you want to go thru all that?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > General Motorcycling > Wrecked Motorcycle Photos & Stories

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page