Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

Went down for the first time...

5K views 17 replies 9 participants last post by  TheSurpriseCBR 
#1 · (Edited)
Well last night on my way home from pop's house I took the long way and it was out in the country. I was going from one road to another with low beams on and couldn't see the vast amounts of large stones at the intersection. The front went, nothing I could do after that... (Should've been using high beams.... Lesson learned.)

Was a fairly slow crash so not a ton of damage to me or Leslie. She has about $300-400 in damage. Mirror scratched, stator cover scratched, bar end snapped off, derlin slider worn down (did great though!), swingarm spool messed up, annndd the rear OEM fairing is scratched.

I got away with a good elbow scrape, hand scrapeage, and hip took impact/scrape, along with other misc. crap. So happy my head didn't touch the ground (my helmet was real expensive..;))

Well I think im goin to give up ridin cuz I aint be plannin on crashin yesturday... Shiz be crazy bruhh!! (kidding.....)

I know the risks, accepted them, and it's just a part of me. I love it, its my passion and I will NEVER stop.

Well I just figured I'd pop it up here. My first and hopefully last road spill.. Will get pics up within the next few hours.. She's not terrible but she's definately not as pretty as she was prior...

Damn...... :(

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
looks like you got away pretty easy! i know its never fun wrecking a bike but you are ok, the bike is ok. i hope you got up and went over n kicked n stomped that gravel patch after it refused to give you its insurance information! pesky gravel patches!

#5 ·
Sorry to hear it, but in my experience, going down is inevitable. 3 times for me on the street, and they were quite different.
I wouldn't take those offs back - the lessons I've learned are invaluable. Some things can only be learned one way....

Besides a good helmet, I always wear decent boots, really good gloves, and a jacket or upper body armor. That's just commuting. If I'm riding seriously, like twisties or long distance, I wear full suit and gear.
Luckily, I've always walked away from my offs, no hospital visit - just some ibuprofin.

Glad to hear you didn't get hurt seriously.
I'd recommend some Sylvania H7 Ultras for your headlights. I replaced both of mine and the difference in lighting blew me away. Soooooo much better.

#6 ·
I have good bulbs in (silvetstar ultras) but it was bug covered along with the visor making visibility poor, especially without the high beams....

Here is the road. I went back today and it really pissed me off looking at just the intersection covered in large stones for no reason...

Attachments

#8 ·
I'm glad you weren't hurt, but don't give up on riding. Most of us who have ridden for very many years has had one of those. I had my first accident, not unlike yours in 1959. I've only had four or five street accident since and probably a dozen or more on the track. First and foremost, wear the gear. I had my latest street accident in December when I hit some black ice and got body slammed. I broke my pelvis and a couple of ribs, but I had on all the grar. My Shoei X11 was a write-off, but it performed it's function and saved my life. It's taken me almost six months to get back riding again. I was on crutches for nearly four months, but I've worked hard at getting my flexibility and strength back. I have no intention to stop riding until my kids and wife hide my keys. By the way, I'm 71 years old.

Remember: GEAR! Because walking away in disgust, is better than riding away in an ambulance.

#9 ·
I'm glad you weren't hurt, but don't give up on riding.
I don't think anyone could ever pry me off of my bike. Been riding it every day since (even though not as pretty:().

My comment about giving up was a joke because that is the typical response around my area (bad grammar and all). :rotfl:

I do really need to get some gear. Looking for a job currently but it will be low hours/income gig because I'm not done with school until March or next yr.
I have a nice helmet and some winter gear to ride yr round but need to invest in more summer gear, especially as much as I push the twisties. Is high on the priority list...

Thanks for the reassurance though! :thumb:

#18 ·
Doesn't look like $400 damage to me, unless you decide to replace the strator cover ^^
Glad you're alright. I think you commented in my thread, so you know that I know how much spills suck, even when they're relatively inexpensive ones.
Wish I'd had frame sliders, looks like they did their job. Even ready for round 2! (Gods forbid)
Glad you're okay and that your bike is 95% okay as well. RSD.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.