Went down for the first time... - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Wrecked Motorcycle Photos & Stories This section of the site is for wrecked motorcycles. Photos of wrecked bikes, before and after photos. How you wrecked it & how you fixed it. Most of us have laid it down or lost it for one reason or another. Tell your stories here.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 Old 07-02-2014, 10:00 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 26

Cool Went down for the first time...

Well last night on my way home from pop's house I took the long way and it was out in the country. I was going from one road to another with low beams on and couldn't see the vast amounts of large stones at the intersection. The front went, nothing I could do after that... (Should've been using high beams.... Lesson learned.)

Was a fairly slow crash so not a ton of damage to me or Leslie. She has about $300-400 in damage. Mirror scratched, stator cover scratched, bar end snapped off, derlin slider worn down (did great though!), swingarm spool messed up, annndd the rear OEM fairing is scratched.

I got away with a good elbow scrape, hand scrapeage, and hip took impact/scrape, along with other misc. crap. So happy my head didn't touch the ground (my helmet was real expensive..)

Well I think im goin to give up ridin cuz I aint be plannin on crashin yesturday... Shiz be crazy bruhh!! (kidding.....)

I know the risks, accepted them, and it's just a part of me. I love it, its my passion and I will NEVER stop.

Well I just figured I'd pop it up here. My first and hopefully last road spill.. Will get pics up within the next few hours.. She's not terrible but she's definately not as pretty as she was prior...

Damn......
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20140702_091443283_HDR.jpg‎   IMG_20140702_091322611.jpg‎   IMG_20140702_091317020.jpg‎   IMG_20140702_091256193.jpg‎  

IMG_20140702_091304036_HDR.jpg‎  

Honda CBR 954RR (Leslie)
Suzuki SV650-K2

Last edited by Camper; 07-02-2014 at 10:23 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 07-02-2014, 10:13 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 122

Garage
Re: Went down for the first time...

Glad to hear you're O.K., and that you saved your helmet instead of the other way around!

"You live more for 5 minutes going fast on a bike than other people do in all their life"-Marco Simoncelli
post #3 of 18 Old 07-02-2014, 11:28 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fj1200rj View Post
Glad to hear you're O.K., and that you saved your helmet instead of the other way around!
No kidding!!

Thanks

Honda CBR 954RR (Leslie)
Suzuki SV650-K2
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 Old 07-02-2014, 11:43 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 47

looks like you got away pretty easy! i know its never fun wrecking a bike but you are ok, the bike is ok. i hope you got up and went over n kicked n stomped that gravel patch after it refused to give you its insurance information! pesky gravel patches!
post #5 of 18 Old 07-02-2014, 2:38 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 198

Sorry to hear it, but in my experience, going down is inevitable. 3 times for me on the street, and they were quite different.
I wouldn't take those offs back - the lessons I've learned are invaluable. Some things can only be learned one way....

Besides a good helmet, I always wear decent boots, really good gloves, and a jacket or upper body armor. That's just commuting. If I'm riding seriously, like twisties or long distance, I wear full suit and gear.
Luckily, I've always walked away from my offs, no hospital visit - just some ibuprofin.

Glad to hear you didn't get hurt seriously.
I'd recommend some Sylvania H7 Ultras for your headlights. I replaced both of mine and the difference in lighting blew me away. Soooooo much better.
post #6 of 18 Old 07-02-2014, 7:58 PM Thread Starter

I have good bulbs in (silvetstar ultras) but it was bug covered along with the visor making visibility poor, especially without the high beams....

Here is the road. I went back today and it really pissed me off looking at just the intersection covered in large stones for no reason...
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20140702_125817631.jpg‎   IMG_20140702_125832513.jpg‎   IMG_20140702_125801566.jpg‎  

Honda CBR 954RR (Leslie)
Suzuki SV650-K2
post #7 of 18 Old 07-02-2014, 8:04 PM

yeah that looks like a motorcycle trap if i ever saw one!
post #8 of 18 Old 07-08-2014, 2:18 PM

Reputation Power: 0

I'm glad you weren't hurt, but don't give up on riding. Most of us who have ridden for very many years has had one of those. I had my first accident, not unlike yours in 1959. I've only had four or five street accident since and probably a dozen or more on the track. First and foremost, wear the gear. I had my latest street accident in December when I hit some black ice and got body slammed. I broke my pelvis and a couple of ribs, but I had on all the grar. My Shoei X11 was a write-off, but it performed it's function and saved my life. It's taken me almost six months to get back riding again. I was on crutches for nearly four months, but I've worked hard at getting my flexibility and strength back. I have no intention to stop riding until my kids and wife hide my keys. By the way, I'm 71 years old.

Remember: GEAR! Because walking away in disgust, is better than riding away in an ambulance.

'65 CB77 Vintage Racer
'80 CBX
'02 RC51
'11 CBR1000RR Repsol
post #9 of 18 Old 07-08-2014, 3:16 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr305 View Post
I'm glad you weren't hurt, but don't give up on riding.
I don't think anyone could ever pry me off of my bike. Been riding it every day since (even though not as pretty).

My comment about giving up was a joke because that is the typical response around my area (bad grammar and all).

I do really need to get some gear. Looking for a job currently but it will be low hours/income gig because I'm not done with school until March or next yr.
I have a nice helmet and some winter gear to ride yr round but need to invest in more summer gear, especially as much as I push the twisties. Is high on the priority list...

Thanks for the reassurance though!

Honda CBR 954RR (Leslie)
Suzuki SV650-K2
post #10 of 18 Old 07-17-2014, 7:42 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 37

Glad you're ok, leave it to Ohio to randomly gravel trap a road!
post #11 of 18 Old 07-17-2014, 7:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jondog9 View Post
Sorry to hear it, but in my experience, going down is inevitable. 3 times for me on the street, and they were quite different.
I wouldn't take those offs back - the lessons I've learned are invaluable. Some things can only be learned one way....

Besides a good helmet, I always wear decent boots, really good gloves, and a jacket or upper body armor. That's just commuting. If I'm riding seriously, like twisties or long distance, I wear full suit and gear.
Luckily, I've always walked away from my offs, no hospital visit - just some ibuprofin.

Glad to hear you didn't get hurt seriously.
I'd recommend some Sylvania H7 Ultras for your headlights. I replaced both of mine and the difference in lighting blew me away. Soooooo much better.
You are obviously a squid Jondog. Probably riding way above your limits and apexing every corner if you've crashed three times...
post #12 of 18 Old 07-17-2014, 7:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobsta13 View Post
You are obviously a squid Jondog. Probably riding way above your limits and apexing every corner if you've crashed three times...

apexing is just crazy talk!!! who does that!??? lol
post #13 of 18 Old 07-17-2014, 10:54 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 198

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobsta13 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 954Kevin View Post
apexing is just crazy talk!!! who does that!??? lol
Thanks for the vote of confidence.

1st time was on a cold, overinflated, brand new rear tire that hadn't been scrubbed in yet. made a left turn at the stop light, rear tire stepped out then caught and highsided me at about 15 mph.
2nd time was chasing my buddy in his Shelby, trying to pass, came in too hot for the turn, and fixated right where I ended up crashing.
3rd was just too much lean on a hot greasy track - turn 11 at Thunderhill. Lost traction on my front tire and ended up in a very tame lowside.

As stated earlier, I wouldn't take any of my offs back: they were necessary and priceless to me.
post #14 of 18 Old 07-18-2014, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jondog9 View Post
Thanks for the vote of confidence.

1st time was on a cold, overinflated, brand new rear tire that hadn't been scrubbed in yet. made a left turn at the stop light, rear tire stepped out then caught and highsided me at about 15 mph.
2nd time was chasing my buddy in his Shelby, trying to pass, came in too hot for the turn, and fixated right where I ended up crashing.
3rd was just too much lean on a hot greasy track - turn 11 at Thunderhill. Lost traction on my front tire and ended up in a very tame lowside.

As stated earlier, I wouldn't take any of my offs back: they were necessary and priceless to me.
Glad you can take a joke! LOL! No doubt about that, as long as you learn from them that's the important thing. I've definitely learned from my 4 getoffs and been able to preach about gear saftey to friends and family that ride as well, and don't always wear helmets, let alone other gear.
Certainly happy that you walked away from them as well.
post #15 of 18 Old 07-18-2014, 8:39 PM

Reputation Power: 7

Good to hear you are alright and your beast is only lightly scratched. Like everyone said before me keep the saddle warm and tell everyone you know that rides the value of good gear

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > General Motorcycling > Wrecked Motorcycle Photos & Stories

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page