aftermath of my slide that finished with a highside - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Wrecked Motorcycle Photos & Stories This section of the site is for wrecked motorcycles. Photos of wrecked bikes, before and after photos. How you wrecked it & how you fixed it. Most of us have laid it down or lost it for one reason or another. Tell your stories here.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 Old 08-28-2014, 5:58 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 48

aftermath of my slide that finished with a highside

pics of my arm after breaking both bones and dislocating my hand. had surgery with metal inserts. good times. wreck was caused by poor road conditions.

gravel or "frost" had built-up in the center of my lane. in a slight left hander doing maybe 55-60 on a very freshly chip n sealed type re-pave of a local road. front slid out all the way to near the edge of the lane where i ended up going off road thru a shallow ditch with the bike upright apposed to laying the bike down trying to steer hard n keep it on the road.

laying it down so close to the edge would have sent me on a path with a washing machine sized boulder just sitting by the road out of nowhere so i more or less chose to aim for the side of the road n thru the ditch to keep control, or keep the bike up on two wheels anyway, n at least make it past that huge rock. which i did but about the same time i was passing it i hit a smaller, hidden in the weeds rock that bent the rim n dismounted the tire.

got back on the road directly after bending the rim which of course once it was on pavement threw me over the bars just like a highside.

i landed on my left wrist first at maybe 35-45mph by this time after being ejected from the bike. basically did a somersault, slid on the back of my helmet a few feet n then on my back where my jacket rode up a little n gave me just a hint of rash on my lower back and i ended up standing on my feet.

the bike flipped to the right and landed upside down on the right mirror n windshield n slid a few feet like that n fell over on the frame slider n slid another 6' or so.

maybe a thousand dollars worth of damage including breaking the windshield, right mirror, right clip-on, throttle tube, grip, and right foot peg. rashed just slightly other than the upper near the mirror mount which was pretty scratched up, the tail plastic and a small credit card sized spot on the tank n a quarter sized hole in the rear seat. also scraped up both ends of the oem pipe.

ive bought all the small parts already and am sending the rim to will's rim repair to hammer out the bend, buying some new tires cause it needs a rear anyway n the front got a little bite taken out of it, going to skin the tank in real carbon fiber after having it prepped at a local shop with oem decals under clear coat at the same shop and going to buy a nice pipe n throw on a new oem style black n titanium china plastic kit to finish it off.

anyway itll likely be next season before im back on it with the cold weather coming in just about the time i figure my wrist would be up for being on a bike. the bike will be finished before then but again my wrist is gonna hold up any progress on that a little while anyway.

i have a lotta years of riding experience so i wouldnt attribute the wreck to lack of skill as much as just unforeseen hazard in the road. id love to sit n say with all my experience i did everything right but that wouldnt be fully accurate. there was certainly some panic going on when i first started sliding but i did a pretty good job of scanning for the best route thru once i stopped the slide n did a good job of looking where i needed to go even if it wasnt really where i wanted to go! lol wasnt that i wasnt paying attention either, the road was freshly blacked with whatever they use when they do the chip-n-seal thing they do around here. which isnt really paving or black topping but a kinda spray with loose gravel thrown on it n another layer of spray then lightly compacted with a small steamroller if youd even call it that. the gravel that had built up was kinda hidden being it was all covered in the black spray. it was a pretty good amount in the center of the lane and on the outside of the lane that had been thrown there in the corner.

i was riding in the right third of the lane thru most of the corner which wasnt a sharp bend at all really n when i was finishing the curve i moved toward the center of my lane where i started the slide. that awful sound a tire makes when it hits loose gravel just kept going for what seamed like forever until i was pretty close to the edge of the road with just a little curve left in front of me but with the front end pointing in the opposite direction. really wasnt enough road in front of me to lean in on it hard to try n keep it on road. like i said i wont say there wasnt some panic reactions at that point but ive spent a lotta years on and off road n been in similar panic situations way more times than i can remember specially off road so it wasnt that my fear had me frozen it was just a big rock in front of me off the road n not enough road to stay on so i made my choice n decided off the road was where i was heading n made the best of it to get past the random boulder that dropped from who knows where!? lol rode the ditch n all was going pretty good considering until i hit the smaller rock i didnt see n sent me for a loop once i hit it.

i guess my lessons learned is im really glad i had all my gear on head to toe. not a one piece leather but a nice textile armored jacket, plated gloves, helmet, n decent boots on because looking at the back of my helmet my head woulda been scraped clean and my arm would have certainly been worse without the wrist protection n hand protection i had.

ill probably be a little more picky when im out looking for new twisted roads and avoid any newly covered roads or at least be a little more aware of the possible hazards they can pose. i was taking it easy being it was literally paved the just a couple days earlier but i could have done better to expect such a hazard even tho i was paying extra close attention. maybe thats just hindsight? hard to say for sure i suppose.

for whatever reason i didnt have my cell phone on me? i was in an area without service as it turns out because the young man that stopped to help me after i picked the bike up one handed n pushed it to the small graveyard that just happened to be directly across the road from my wipe-out didnt have service for several miles down the road. had he or any other people not been by it could have been a long walk in pain to even the nearest house let alone pocket of cell service out in the sticks where i was riding. so ill be sure to have one with me in the future when i ride.

other than that i guess its just a fact or doing what we love that when you are out riding you could end up getting off. im no ama professional but ive got a good bit of riding under my belt n a lot of it spent pushing my limits to be better and there are and always will be some moments where youll find yourself in situation you just cant recover from and ive learned that its important to keep your head and do everything you can to improve your worst case scenario until its played its self all the way out.

here are the pics of the damage to my arm, the most interesting part of my description of a good ride gone bad!

"love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle."-Hunter S. Thompson

Last edited by 954Kevin; 08-28-2014 at 6:13 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 08-28-2014, 7:21 PM
Heeza Y Zasch

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 388 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 59

Re: aftermath of my slide that finished with a highside

chicks dig scars, Kev... diggin' the hardware

get on the mend, and I'm eager to see the resurrection of your '54 I s'pose there'll be a rebuild thread?

non-Honda fleet: EX250JAF, VL1500LC, ZX600-E1, ZX600-E12
"Some people wonder all their lives if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem." -Ronald Reagan
post #3 of 18 Old 08-28-2014, 7:35 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by unslow1 View Post
chicks dig scars, Kev... diggin' the hardware

get on the mend, and I'm eager to see the resurrection of your '54 I s'pose there'll be a rebuild thread?
you know its really not even enough to warrant a full rebuild thread. ive already started fixing some of the dumb little stuff like the clip-on that took the L.

ill probably do a little thread on covering the tank with carbon fiber cause im sure thatll be kinda interesting anyway but you know throwing on a set of mirrors n a clip-on n right foot peg arent really worth a whole thread? lol

tell ya what tho, ill go snap some shots of it like it sits now n just post the progress there. lmao, we'll call it my "954 rebuild thread".

lol?

"love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle."-Hunter S. Thompson
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 Old 08-28-2014, 7:49 PM
Heeza Y Zasch

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 388 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 59

haha... put it up in here, my man! it's your friggin' thread... dowhatchyalike

non-Honda fleet: EX250JAF, VL1500LC, ZX600-E1, ZX600-E12
"Some people wonder all their lives if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem." -Ronald Reagan
post #5 of 18 Old 08-28-2014, 10:09 PM
President: Team Full Chat

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quoted: 715 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 102

Garage

Better, stronger, faster.

My 99 900RR Track Build Link:Track Build 900RRX

My Red Rocker 93 Build Link: Café 900RRP
post #6 of 18 Old 09-03-2014, 2:51 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 6

Damn... and I thought my wreck was bad but now I can see that it wasn't. Godspeed my friend!

98 Honda CBR900RR Project: "The Black Widow"
Click (HERE) for my thread
post #7 of 18 Old 09-04-2014, 9:15 AM

Reputation Power: 291

Send a message via MSN to setanta

Glad to see you writing this not someone writing it on your behalf, mend quickly mate

Irish's Blog Page
Hate this Skin
Assalam-o-Alaikum
post #8 of 18 Old 09-04-2014, 10:08 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by setanta View Post
Glad to see you writing this not someone writing it on your behalf, mend quickly mate
yeah i feel the same way! lol slowly but surely healing. wrists are slow healers.....

post #9 of 18 Old 09-04-2014, 3:25 PM

Reputation Power: 0

Get well soon 954.Hope you have enough money left mate after paying the bills to treat yourself to a holiday.If so do like Barry Sheene had to and take copies of the X-Rays ready for when the scanner alarms go off.
post #10 of 18 Old 09-04-2014, 3:55 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy.n.h View Post
Get well soon 954.Hope you have enough money left mate after paying the bills to treat yourself to a holiday.If so do like Barry Sheene had to and take copies of the X-Rays ready for when the scanner alarms go off.
lol yeah i went to drop off some money at the court house for a friend in the clink n they made me remove my wrist brace n sure enough it set off the detector wand! guess there wont be any quick slide thrus at the metal detector stations anymore!

post #11 of 18 Old 09-04-2014, 4:42 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 37

Sounds like it could've been a lot worse mate. As said, glad you are around to write about about it. Also, good that you had the gear on. Like I said before, better to wear it and not need it, than not wear it and need it.
I'd love to see some pics of the bike and your gear, esp the helmet. I've been pretty preachy here at home about helmets and gear in general lately and wished I'd have taken some of my Bell when I field tested it and slid on my face. A few friends out here persist in wearing typical squid gear (shorts, t-shirts, tennis shoes, helmet strapped to the bike ). Since they're friends I am on their a$$es about AT LEAST a helmet. I'd rather not have them learn the hard way or worse, attend a funeral.
post #12 of 18 Old 09-04-2014, 5:00 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobsta13 View Post
Sounds like it could've been a lot worse mate. As said, glad you are around to write about about it. Also, good that you had the gear on. Like I said before, better to wear it and not need it, than not wear it and need it.
I'd love to see some pics of the bike and your gear, esp the helmet. I've been pretty preachy here at home about helmets and gear in general lately and wished I'd have taken some of my Bell when I field tested it and slid on my face. A few friends out here persist in wearing typical squid gear (shorts, t-shirts, tennis shoes, helmet strapped to the bike ). Since they're friends I am on their a$$es about AT LEAST a helmet. I'd rather not have them learn the hard way or worse, attend a funeral.
yeah the gear definitely saved some skin. even with my textile icon jacket i got some rash on my lower back. i was about 250lbs when i bought it n ive lost weight down to about 210 right now so its just a little loose n when i was sliding the jacket rode up my back exposing the lower portion, so it got it a little. it would have been a lot worse in a t-shirt. the jacket held up pretty well tho. its just got a little rip in it up by the left shoulder.

even tho my wrist was broken my gloves still look new. the first pic on my little rebuild thread is of the back of my helmet. it didnt take a lot of damage but you can look at it n tell had that been the back of my head i would have been about half scalped. not to mention it really doesnt take much of a fall to get a serious head injury that can easily be fatal. my lid definitely did its job along with the rest of my gear.

https://www.fireblades.org/forums/hon...ld-thread.html

post #13 of 18 Old 09-05-2014, 9:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 954Kevin View Post
i was about 250lbs when i bought it n ive lost weight down to about 210 right now
Just a little whisp of a thing arnt you?

Irish's Blog Page
Hate this Skin
Assalam-o-Alaikum
post #14 of 18 Old 09-05-2014, 10:36 AM Thread Starter

lol right. im still loosin weight, my regular is about 190 so ill be happy to get it back down to "normal". been thru some big life changes the last coupled a years n it was out of control there for a while!

post #15 of 18 Old 09-05-2014, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 954Kevin View Post
lol right. im still loosin weight, my regular is about 190 so ill be happy to get it back down to "normal". been thru some big life changes the last coupled a years n it was out of control there for a while!
Just having a wee tease Kevin no offence meant, hope the new changes are for the better mate

Irish's Blog Page
Hate this Skin
Assalam-o-Alaikum

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > General Motorcycling > Wrecked Motorcycle Photos & Stories

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page