Dropped my RC - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Wrecked Motorcycle Photos & Stories This section of the site is for wrecked motorcycles. Photos of wrecked bikes, before and after photos. How you wrecked it & how you fixed it. Most of us have laid it down or lost it for one reason or another. Tell your stories here.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 09-17-2014, 12:26 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

Dropped my RC

Last December I dropped my 2002 RC51 for the first time in over 30,000 miles. It was below freezing that morning and I was pulling out onto a street from a business I had just visited and as I got out into the street, I gave it a little throttle to accelerate and I hit some black-ice. I wasn't doing more than 10 or so miles per hour. The rear wheel spun up immediately and the bike snapped around to the left. I closed the throttle and as the bike swung through 180 degrees, the back tire got some traction and the bike immediately stopped rotating and as it did, it slammed down onto the pavement on it's left side. I got body slammed. Fortunately I always ride with helmet, jacket and boots on and the helmet took a shot bad enough to write it off and the gear did it's job.

I broke the whole left side off my pelvis and broke a couple of ribs. I was operated on the next day and got 28 screws, 3 plates and 46 staples as souvenirs. I was on crutches for 3 months and a crutch or cane for an additional 6 weeks.

Fortunately I've suffered no lasting disabilities from the experience. I have had some flexibility issues, due to the prolonged inactivity, but time and execise has mostly resolved them. I started riding the bike in May and went back to running by June.

The bike wasn't hurt nearly as bad as I was and only cost about $1000 to put back in shape. A clutch lever, footpeg and bracket and a muffler. I was able to repair the fairing.

I've attached a shot of the damage on the bike and an X-ray and shot of my surgical scar. I look like I've been sawed in half and put back together. I should also add that I'm probably a little older than the average sportbike rider. I'm 71.
Attached Thumbnails
rc51 wreck.jpg‎   X-RAY.jpg‎   incision.jpg‎  

'65 CB77 Vintage Racer
'80 CBX
'02 RC51
'11 CBR1000RR Repsol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 09-17-2014, 1:11 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 37

Re: Dropped my RC

Damn! It's amazing how bad those low speed crashes can mess you up. Glad you're back in the saddle even if we are closing in on the end of the season.
I got slammed like that once on my GPz and out of all my get offs, I think that hurt the most, partly because it happens so fast. I've been lucky enough to be able to get up and walk away from all of them so far.
Slick leaf season is coming, keep the rubber side down!
post #3 of 5 Old 09-17-2014, 4:10 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 47

well i guess i feel better about my own metal n screw implants of my wrist i just got after seeing yours!

"love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle."-Hunter S. Thompson

Last edited by 954Kevin; 09-17-2014 at 4:16 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 09-17-2014, 9:06 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 20

You're my hero, still riding a sport bike at the age of 71. Took a beating and getting right back on...
post #5 of 5 Old 09-18-2014, 10:06 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabotage View Post
You're my hero, still riding a sport bike at the age of 71. Took a beating and getting right back on...

Thats a BEAUTIFUL RC!!!

I'm glad you're back on her and enjoying!

Honda CBR 954RR (Leslie)
Suzuki SV650-K2

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > General Motorcycling > Wrecked Motorcycle Photos & Stories

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page