Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

I joined the club today... (insert Sadface)

6K views 24 replies 8 participants last post by  TheSurpriseCBR 
#1 · (Edited)
I live in Vancouver BC. If you live here, you know that we have pretty mild (albeit rainy) weather.
Three weeks ago I decided to purchase my first bike, a 2006 CBR600RR. Got a good deal on it, about 3 grand. And no, I don't regret getting it as my first bike.
It's been beautiful in Vancouver, sunny every day, but cold. 0 degrees celsius cold. I guess the cold pavement coupled with my tires not being warm enough caused me to lowside (I wasn't dragging pegs, either. Just a pretty tight turn) not ONCE, but TWICE today. Needless to say, worst day I've had in a while, but what can you do. Just cuss and get back on.
Scraped up my middle faring pretty good, woulda just painted it but chipped the hell out of the actual plastic towards the back so I'm thinking new faring for me... scraped the hell out of the oil cover and bent the rear brake the right bar end... luckily I had already ordered new bar ends and the brake lever is cheap :D
First lowside at about 25km/h (15mph) and second at 45kph (30mph). All told a couple scratches, one ****ed faring, and no injuries to report (other than confidence and ego...).
They say there's two kinds of riders; ones that will go down, and ones that have gone down... guess I got it out of the way early... like within the first 1000km early... :thumbd:
Mechanically she seems perfect, but the steering won't lock anymore? Anyone have any ideas what this is?
BTW, this is the worst club I've ever been in.

EDIT: So rude, need photos obviously. Don't know why they turned out so bad but... hey.

Before, all shiny

The vast majority of the faring damage... you can see in the bottom left how badly scraped the oil cover is.

Some more scrapes and the bar end... bent. Oh, did I forget to mention I snapped the brake lever? Have a new one of those on the way too though :thumb:

See less See more
#3 ·
Maybe you have to much pressure in one of both of your tires.
Good luck with repairs, take it easy with all that power on your first bike. I know it's a 600 not a 1000, but still a fairly torque bike.
I would highly recommend getting your suspension set for your weight. Preload, compression, and rebound. Search Dave Moss on Youtube, he has a few good ones.

#4 · (Edited)
well sorry to hear about your misfortune. definitely need to check your tire pressure every time ya ride like jondog says. i find a simple 34 or 35psi cold, or there abouts, is good front n back.

tire temp is also key. give them several miles to warm up before you get to extreme. braking and acceleration warm them up to temp. id say thats a big factor in some wrecks. hard saying if it was the reason for yours but of course ambient temps n the temp of the roadway also affect your grip or how quick your tires heat cycle. nice n smooth on the throttle on those exits! n trail braking is an awesome way to turn fast but for new riders try n get your braking done before the turns. grabbing a handful of brake mid corner is a easy way to drop a bike. not saying thats what happened, i just know myself when i was still pretty new more than once id get into a corner a little to fast or maybe it had a decreasing apex n id go for the brakes. thats not good. lol

luckily your ok. could have easily went the other way. even slow speeds can cause serious injury.

also good for you those used oem mid fairings arent much either.

CBR 600RR Honda Right Side Mid Fairing 05 06 | eBay

#5 ·
Thanks guys. Yesterday I was super bummed but today I'm feeling not too bad. Everything went about as well as it could have gone.
My bike says rear should be 42psi and front should be 36, which is what I had it at. I think I just leaned a bit too far and the tires/road were a bit too cold... sucks. Oh well. Off to work on this baby xD

#10 ·
It's cool. I knew the risks and rewards of starting on a larger bike when I got it, and knew I would probably go down at some point, I just didn't think it would happen like this. I mean, people scrape the pegs on these things and i was NOWHERE NEAR doing that. I was leaning probably.... 30 degrees? Hard to say. And both times I went down were on a VERY similar curve, tight but not like a T junction. Think tight-ish windy canyon road turn.

Anyways, to answer your question, I've had my drivers license for 3 years and my bike license for only one month. I did take a 6 day motorcycle course, and spent $700 in gear. ATGATT :thumb:
I make no apologies for the bike I started with, and full responsibility for what happened. That's why I'm not pissed, mad, or frustrated. Just sad and a little confused, but there's nobody to blame but myself.
I just don't get how I slid out at a 30 degree lean but people can scrape the pegs on these things and come out fine. Obviously I just need a little more seat time.

And I would just like to say that I'm not a stupid kid. I don't rip around the streets at 100mph, and I haven't had any issues to far with the power (whether it be acceleration OR braking). I want to become a police officer, if that gives you any indication as to how I am as a person (not one of the shitty ones we all hear about on the daily though...).

By all means if you have any criticisms, warnings, tips, tricks, or advice please do throw it my way. Everything helps. Like the tire pressure tip, for instance. Just keep it constructive :thumb:

#8 ·
Wow, twice in one day is not good... I don't have a problem with a 600 as a first bike, I did it and they are great, but sounds like you might need to spend some time getting to know her, you can't just jump on and ride her like a one night stand. Take her out and be gentle till yiu know how she handles, then get right on that and get down and dirty.

Seriously though, take your bike to a quiet carpark and practise rolling on and off the throttle, both in a straight line and cornering. Don't worry about how far your leaning or what you look like, just look through the corner and keep a nice line. At 15mph I take it you turned from a stop at a t-junction and went down?

I've never been down yet but I put that down to taking it easy to beginning with, and some epic luck more recently. It's only a matter or time before I do, as I'm getting far to relaxed and over confident for my own good.

#9 ·
Sorry to hear you went down so soon. It seems you are a pretty level headed guy and will bounce back from this fairly quickly. That being said if you are running the reccomended tire pressures in 32 degree Fahrenheit temperatures then your pressures are too high. Those recommended pressures are usually rated for maximum weight load on the bike. Read up on tire pressure, and ask racers about what they use for TP. You'll find that the reccomended is usually 1/3 too much pressure for your conditions. On a typical summer day knowing I'm going to be fairly aggressive I will run my TP in the area of 32 front and 30 rear. The pressure will rise as the tire heats up as well, so the higher you have them initially, after riding they will increase as the air inside the tire warms up.

Also, just throwing this out there, while leaned over you really want to avoid any and all braking. Get all your braking done before you enter the corner. While leaned over the available traction of the tires is being used for the corner. When you add brake to that you take away available traction from cornering and use it for braking. When you lose traction for cornering and use it for braking the potential for disaster is 2 fold. Not saying this happened, just food for thought. Good luck with the repair and get back out there soon.

#11 ·
Read up on tire pressure, and ask racers about what they use for TP. You'll find that the reccomended is usually 1/3 too much pressure for your conditions.

Also, just throwing this out there, while leaned over you really want to avoid any and all braking. Get all your braking done before you enter the corner.
Thanks for the tip about the tires! Will look into it. I always heavily research things before I do/get them (I already knew how to do almost everything from lubing and cleaning the chain to oil changes before I even got my bike), but this must have slipped by somehow. All I knew was it was important to keep the tires at the recommended PSI.

Also, I'm well aware not to brake in a turn (particularly with your front brake, but as a newbie I don't want to touch my rear either) and I'm certain I didn't brake in the turn. That's why I'm a little confused as to how I went down, but it happened :idunno:

Thanks for the concern, I appreciate it. Luckily I already had new grips and bar ends on the way anyways! :D And apparently my mid faring is only $40ish from ebay OEM.

#12 ·
So guys, I ordered that new side faring (Thanks for the link, 954Kevin!!) and I suppose the best way to cover up the minor scratches on the other panels would be spray paint (no use replacing them) but what should I do about the oil cover? Seems stupid to get a new one, I figured I could file down the roughness (taking off as little as possible, obviously) and then maybe cover it with something so it's not as bright/shiny? Any ideas?

#13 · (Edited)
Bro, I've read everything posted so far, and I can tell you I'm certain you had to much air. 42 in the rear? What make of tire is it?
Doesn't matter - if your 42psi on a cold day. Even on a hot day, you'll slide out.
2 spills the same outing tells me I'm twice as likely to be right - Ian brought it up too.
For 1 rider, drop the rear tire pressure to about 30-32psi cold and the front tire a couple pounds higher.
Get off during your ride, and feel how warm your tire gets. Warm to hot range means it's gripping better than warm to cold range. Check your tire psi when you've got the tire good and warm, you'll see that you gain about 3psi to as high as 6 or 7psi. (varies on different tires) If you get your tire above about 40-42+psi warm, she's so tight that it can't flex to grip the road. The trick is to find that sweet spot where the tire runs warm, grips, and has the right psi to be able to flex. Not too much. Not to little.
If you don't have enough psi, It's easy to tell, your tires feel like your going through sand. Rear end feels unstable and front is hard to steer, or tip into a turn. It want's to keep going straight or run wide.

EDIT Actually it does matter; What brand and make of tire do you have?

#14 ·
For 1 rider, drop the rear tire pressure to about 30-32psi cold and the front tire a couple pounds higher.
Get off during your ride, and feel how warm your tire gets. Warm to hot range means it's gripping better than warm to cold range.

EDIT Actually it does matter; What brand and make of tire do you have?
That actually makes a shitton of sense. I've felt my rear tire post-ride (for no real reason - just curiosity I guess) and even after highway riding 60mph + the tire is barely even warm... like, cooler than skin temp. I suppose they were pumped too hard. Guess I learned that the hard way, thanks so much for the tip I really appreciate it. That makes a lot of sense. Luckily that lesson only cost me about $100....

I'm not sure of the tire. I'll have to check. All I know is it's a new tire as well, less than 1500km on it.

#16 ·
^ I knew that was coming. :D
The front tire does a completely different job than the rear tire.
First, it's smaller, yet it takes all the force of hard braking.
Second, the profile is different than the rear tire, the front is a 70 series on the front and a 50 or 55 on the rear. If you look, you'll see the differences in the shape.
So the tire is designed to do it's job.
And it so happens the front tire typically runs more psi than the rear tire when you've got them working at their best performance ability.

#17 ·
yeah at 42psi your tire is going to be like riding on marbles every little rock that gets under it. couple it with zero degree weather n tires are going to take a while to get warm with those kinda temps outside. id agree that it probably had a factor in your spills.

on the cover you can probably pull it off n do what you mentioned n respray it. ive got a body guy that can fill n sand light scratches n blend the paint so it doesnt need a entire repaint. its not going to look quite as good as it did of course but as a cheaper alternative. im sure you could find a shop or someone that has the same kinda skills.

might consider engine case covers. usually under a couple hundred bucks n would cover up the damage. but the case is only like 80$ plus a 10$ gasket. if you leave the bike on the side stand when you pull that cover off not a lot of the engine oil will spill out. some likely will but not a lot so you wouldnt hafta buy new oil.

id check out some suspension videos as well n try n kinda get an idea if yours seems anywhere close. the number 1 most common mistake people make is set the rear end up way too hard n thatll make it loose and your front end push. if you dont know what it should feel like when its set-up properly, dont fret, most dont. lol try n find someone to help you set it up that has some skill n experience doing it. it makes a huge difference in how your bike takes corners when its set up right.

#18 ·
There is a book aptly named 'Proficient Motorcycling' and its follow up 'More Proficent Motorcycling', I have recommended and given away copies of this book to several friends and I even sent a copy to new motorcyclist on here who asked some questions that quite frankly scared the crap out of me......my original copy looks like a mice nest it is so worn, even in my third decade of biking I still use it as a resource.......just a suggestion friend.....;)

#19 ·
Thanks for the recommendation Oxman. I'll definitely look into it.

Just to update all of you on my situation, I have been riding every day to and from work (round trip of approx 30-40km) and checking regularly for any sort of leakage, it would seem there is none. I also took it up to 130km on the highway and then took my hands off the bars (read: hovered over the bars) and she drove completely straight.

As for my tires, they are Metzeler Sportec M5 Interact which apparently are good tires (stock 14-zx tires) but have a RECOMMENDED PSI OF 32 FRONT AND REAR. No wonder I slid out with 42.
This brings me to a quick question: Did I hurt the integrity of the tires from riding with it pumped up so high, or can I just decrease the PSI and be on my way?

Tomorrow I will be tuning my suspension with some settings I found online for an individual of roughly the same size as me. Not a perfect solution, but certainly better than what i have now, no doubt. Thanks for bringing this to my attention.

Also, I have ordered the new faring that harbors 90% of the damage, have new grips, bar ends, and clutch/brake levers on the way, and ordered a clutch cover protector to mask most of the damage as well as prevent anymore shearing should I go down again (I believe the case metal is probably wearing thin after my two mishaps). In addition to all of this I ordered a pair of long no-cut Delrin frame sliders. I will also be filling in the one large scrape on the front faring (not pictured) with filler after sanding it down and the coating it in glossy black spray paint and waxing over the body so as to mask the scrape.

I have also ordered a black folding rear brake lever to replace the bent one. I do have one question however; the rear brake assembly seems to have cracked slightly (pictured below) I was just wondering if this would affect the integrity of by braking system (read: do I need to get a new rearset)
Thanks for all of your help guys I really appreciate it! I don't feel so bad about my accident (I feel a little bad about it happening twice but... you know) knowing that I learned so much about the tuning of my bike from this incident, thanks to you guys. I would have gone down at some point anyway, as I wouldn't have stopped pumping my tire to 42psi, or even thought about tuning my suspension damping. I'm just glad it only cost me a couple hundred and that I didn't get hurt. Much love to all of you, and despite my early incident I'm not put off of riding in any way (though now extremely weary of corners... I take them like a grandmother. But I'm sure my confidence will come back in time) and I'm happy to be a part of such an amazing community. Thank you all! :D:D:D

#20 ·
Sorry to hear about your spill(s)...

There is such a HUGE importance to the tire pressures. MOST people have no idea; put some air in it in the spring, and then ride like that 'till they put it away in the late fall. :nono:
Unfortunately you had to find out the hard way...
I found out a few years ago while riding and having sh*tty mushy feeling in the front end (due to low pressure). Massive difference getting pressures right and very confidence inspiring (maybe too much). :rotfl:

Rear sets are expensive. Aftermarket go for hundreds and used stock ones go for ~$60. If you don't want to spend the money I wouldn't worry too much because it looks hairline and structurally sound still. You can pop it off to take a better look... I would keep an eye on it to see if it expands at all, if so definitely start looking.

Keep us posted..
Happy trails!!

#21 ·
you can find pretty nice rear sets that are adjustable for a great price on ebay. ive seen a couple a guys on here use them even on some over the top builds n all said the quality was very nice for the cost.

Black CNC Rearset Foot Pegs Rear Set for Honda CBR600F F4 F4i 1999 2006 | eBay

or here is an oem type replacement but still aftermarket. priced right. probably couldnt find a used right one for less.

Black Front Foot Rest Pegs Pedals Rearsets Bracket for 2003 2006 Honda CBR600RR | eBay

id probably be looking to replace them soon. it doesnt look like its about to fly off or anything but personally id want it fixed.

watch the dave moss videos on suspension. itll help you wrap your head around the whole concept. he explains the different setting pretty well. set your sag first. all your other settings are based on correct sag.

someone elses base settings might be a decent starting point but every set-up is different. suspension is constantly changing due to fork oil degradation n seal condition n lots of other factors. so your best set-up is going to need to be fine tuned. ill say people generally tend to set the rear way too hard. really whats most important is that its very even from front to back. usually people start in the front n try to match the back to the front. watch dave in this next video. practice pushing the bike like he does. its a skill. it can be overwhelming but you should be able to get something that works. its a lot of trial and error n feeling how your bike responds to the changes. ill say this. ive been on bikes a long time, dirt and street n im a wrench turning kinda guy. im lucky enough to have found an old guy with tons or race set-up experience to do my settings. there is a big difference from what i thought was a good set-up and his. setting up suspension is a bit of a black art n takes a certain feel you can really only get from lots of time doing it. doesnt mean you wont be able to do some stuff to improve yours but just be aware that your best option would be find someone with the skills to help you do it. my guy does it for 25$ n i could fiddle with the settings for a week straight n not get it like he does in about 20 minutes. best moneyive spent on a bike is gettin the suspension set-up right. it seriously makes or breaks how well your bike handles in the twisties particularly.

#22 ·
someone elses base settings might be a decent starting point but every set-up is different. suspension is constantly changing due to fork oil degradation n seal condition n lots of other factors. so your best set-up is going to need to be fine tuned.
I actually set up an appointment with a shop for tomorrow. $50 and they'll tune it all for me, figured it's worth it to avoid any spills in the future... as you can see I'm taking every possible precaution. I take care of my things and would hate to go down again, in addition to the obvious risk to me.

I'll grab that black rearset once I'm out of this little hole I've dug myself into... should be a couple months with Christmas coming up. Just spent $700 on the bike this month, and the rearset should hold up for now, but I would definitely be looking at getting it replaced soon, and the black would match my colour scheme. Thanks!

#23 ·
UPDATE
After my accident(s), I went to a shop to get my suspension tuned, got a new front tire (mine was apparently on the wear line, got a Pirelli Diablo), full chrome red decal kit, blacked out windscreen, reflective red rim tape to up visibility and make my bike look pretty awesome too :3, red shorty clutch and brake levers, red grips, red bar ends, frame sliders (not yet installed), HID 5000k headlights (not yet installed), plasti dipped my gas cap and pillon pegs red, and got a clutch cover protector to mask 95% of the damage. I'm very happy with the results, and here they are:

Good view of the decals, kept it minimal. They look a little bit deeper red and very chrome in person. I like it, looks very agressive.

Reflective red rim tape. LOVE THIS. Applied it myself without tools by eye, happy with the result.

Chrome red "Honda Racing" decal in an irregular spot, I personally really like the placement. You can see the clutch cover as well, masking most of the scraping.

Here's the FINISHED product, minus the blacked out windshield in the following photo. I really like the aggressive stance and the deep red compared to the all black that the previous owner opted for before (can be seen in my first post)

And LAST but not LEAST, a (shitty) photo of the bike POST BLACKED OUT WINDSHIELD install. I LOVE the black windshield, makes it look SO aggressive.

Anyways, thanks again for all your help :D I feel like I learned a lot and my bike looks better because of it, not to mention the knowledge that I took away from it (WAY more than the $250 worth that it took me to fix the bike ^^)

#24 ·
looks really good man. that clutch slider looks like it was just the ticket! im not a huge fan of the red passenger pegs but to each their own! over all its a sharp looking bike! nice work getting it back together.

#25 ·
It was more of an experiment than anything, I think I would prefer them black. All I know is I'm not a fan of the silver. But hey, that's the awesome thing about Plasti-dip, I can just peel it off if/when I decide I'm sick of it ^^
Thanks Kevin, and thanks for all your help as well!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.