I joined the club today... (insert Sadface) - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Wrecked Motorcycle Photos & Stories This section of the site is for wrecked motorcycles. Photos of wrecked bikes, before and after photos. How you wrecked it & how you fixed it. Most of us have laid it down or lost it for one reason or another. Tell your stories here.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 25 Old 11-17-2014, 3:09 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

I joined the club today... (insert Sadface)

I live in Vancouver BC. If you live here, you know that we have pretty mild (albeit rainy) weather.
Three weeks ago I decided to purchase my first bike, a 2006 CBR600RR. Got a good deal on it, about 3 grand. And no, I don't regret getting it as my first bike.
It's been beautiful in Vancouver, sunny every day, but cold. 0 degrees celsius cold. I guess the cold pavement coupled with my tires not being warm enough caused me to lowside (I wasn't dragging pegs, either. Just a pretty tight turn) not ONCE, but TWICE today. Needless to say, worst day I've had in a while, but what can you do. Just cuss and get back on.
Scraped up my middle faring pretty good, woulda just painted it but chipped the hell out of the actual plastic towards the back so I'm thinking new faring for me... scraped the hell out of the oil cover and bent the rear brake the right bar end... luckily I had already ordered new bar ends and the brake lever is cheap
First lowside at about 25km/h (15mph) and second at 45kph (30mph). All told a couple scratches, one ****ed faring, and no injuries to report (other than confidence and ego...).
They say there's two kinds of riders; ones that will go down, and ones that have gone down... guess I got it out of the way early... like within the first 1000km early...
Mechanically she seems perfect, but the steering won't lock anymore? Anyone have any ideas what this is?
BTW, this is the worst club I've ever been in.

EDIT: So rude, need photos obviously. Don't know why they turned out so bad but... hey.

Before, all shiny

The vast majority of the faring damage... you can see in the bottom left how badly scraped the oil cover is.

Some more scrapes and the bar end... bent. Oh, did I forget to mention I snapped the brake lever? Have a new one of those on the way too though

Last edited by TheSurpriseCBR; 11-17-2014 at 3:20 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 Old 11-17-2014, 7:27 AM

Reputation Power: 8

Re: I joined the club today... (insert Sadface)

lookin good
post #3 of 25 Old 11-17-2014, 11:51 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 198

Maybe you have to much pressure in one of both of your tires.
Good luck with repairs, take it easy with all that power on your first bike. I know it's a 600 not a 1000, but still a fairly torque bike.
I would highly recommend getting your suspension set for your weight. Preload, compression, and rebound. Search Dave Moss on Youtube, he has a few good ones.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 25 Old 11-17-2014, 12:34 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 48

well sorry to hear about your misfortune. definitely need to check your tire pressure every time ya ride like jondog says. i find a simple 34 or 35psi cold, or there abouts, is good front n back.

tire temp is also key. give them several miles to warm up before you get to extreme. braking and acceleration warm them up to temp. id say thats a big factor in some wrecks. hard saying if it was the reason for yours but of course ambient temps n the temp of the roadway also affect your grip or how quick your tires heat cycle. nice n smooth on the throttle on those exits! n trail braking is an awesome way to turn fast but for new riders try n get your braking done before the turns. grabbing a handful of brake mid corner is a easy way to drop a bike. not saying thats what happened, i just know myself when i was still pretty new more than once id get into a corner a little to fast or maybe it had a decreasing apex n id go for the brakes. thats not good. lol

luckily your ok. could have easily went the other way. even slow speeds can cause serious injury.

also good for you those used oem mid fairings arent much either.

CBR 600RR Honda Right Side Mid Fairing 05 06 | eBay

"love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle."-Hunter S. Thompson

Last edited by 954Kevin; 11-17-2014 at 12:42 PM.
post #5 of 25 Old 11-17-2014, 2:40 PM Thread Starter

Thanks guys. Yesterday I was super bummed but today I'm feeling not too bad. Everything went about as well as it could have gone.
My bike says rear should be 42psi and front should be 36, which is what I had it at. I think I just leaned a bit too far and the tires/road were a bit too cold... sucks. Oh well. Off to work on this baby xD
post #6 of 25 Old 11-17-2014, 3:20 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 98

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris954rr View Post
lookin good
Hey Chris....did you even read the post???? Lookin good??
post #7 of 25 Old 11-17-2014, 3:23 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 98

I am not going to go on at you but out of curiosity how long have you had your licence and/or what type of riding experience do you have......?
post #8 of 25 Old 11-17-2014, 4:39 PM

Reputation Power: 12

Wow, twice in one day is not good... I don't have a problem with a 600 as a first bike, I did it and they are great, but sounds like you might need to spend some time getting to know her, you can't just jump on and ride her like a one night stand. Take her out and be gentle till yiu know how she handles, then get right on that and get down and dirty.

Seriously though, take your bike to a quiet carpark and practise rolling on and off the throttle, both in a straight line and cornering. Don't worry about how far your leaning or what you look like, just look through the corner and keep a nice line. At 15mph I take it you turned from a stop at a t-junction and went down?

I've never been down yet but I put that down to taking it easy to beginning with, and some epic luck more recently. It's only a matter or time before I do, as I'm getting far to relaxed and over confident for my own good.

...if its still not working hit it again, just use a bigger hammer!
post #9 of 25 Old 11-17-2014, 5:07 PM
President: Team Full Chat

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quoted: 715 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 102

Garage

Sorry to hear you went down so soon. It seems you are a pretty level headed guy and will bounce back from this fairly quickly. That being said if you are running the reccomended tire pressures in 32 degree Fahrenheit temperatures then your pressures are too high. Those recommended pressures are usually rated for maximum weight load on the bike. Read up on tire pressure, and ask racers about what they use for TP. You'll find that the reccomended is usually 1/3 too much pressure for your conditions. On a typical summer day knowing I'm going to be fairly aggressive I will run my TP in the area of 32 front and 30 rear. The pressure will rise as the tire heats up as well, so the higher you have them initially, after riding they will increase as the air inside the tire warms up.

Also, just throwing this out there, while leaned over you really want to avoid any and all braking. Get all your braking done before you enter the corner. While leaned over the available traction of the tires is being used for the corner. When you add brake to that you take away available traction from cornering and use it for braking. When you lose traction for cornering and use it for braking the potential for disaster is 2 fold. Not saying this happened, just food for thought. Good luck with the repair and get back out there soon.

My 99 900RR Track Build Link:Track Build 900RRX

My Red Rocker 93 Build Link: Café 900RRP
post #10 of 25 Old 11-17-2014, 9:16 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxman1196 View Post
I am not going to go on at you but out of curiosity how long have you had your licence and/or what type of riding experience do you have......?
It's cool. I knew the risks and rewards of starting on a larger bike when I got it, and knew I would probably go down at some point, I just didn't think it would happen like this. I mean, people scrape the pegs on these things and i was NOWHERE NEAR doing that. I was leaning probably.... 30 degrees? Hard to say. And both times I went down were on a VERY similar curve, tight but not like a T junction. Think tight-ish windy canyon road turn.

Anyways, to answer your question, I've had my drivers license for 3 years and my bike license for only one month. I did take a 6 day motorcycle course, and spent $700 in gear. ATGATT
I make no apologies for the bike I started with, and full responsibility for what happened. That's why I'm not pissed, mad, or frustrated. Just sad and a little confused, but there's nobody to blame but myself.
I just don't get how I slid out at a 30 degree lean but people can scrape the pegs on these things and come out fine. Obviously I just need a little more seat time.

And I would just like to say that I'm not a stupid kid. I don't rip around the streets at 100mph, and I haven't had any issues to far with the power (whether it be acceleration OR braking). I want to become a police officer, if that gives you any indication as to how I am as a person (not one of the shitty ones we all hear about on the daily though...).

By all means if you have any criticisms, warnings, tips, tricks, or advice please do throw it my way. Everything helps. Like the tire pressure tip, for instance. Just keep it constructive
post #11 of 25 Old 11-17-2014, 9:20 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanDoohan View Post
Read up on tire pressure, and ask racers about what they use for TP. You'll find that the reccomended is usually 1/3 too much pressure for your conditions.

Also, just throwing this out there, while leaned over you really want to avoid any and all braking. Get all your braking done before you enter the corner.
Thanks for the tip about the tires! Will look into it. I always heavily research things before I do/get them (I already knew how to do almost everything from lubing and cleaning the chain to oil changes before I even got my bike), but this must have slipped by somehow. All I knew was it was important to keep the tires at the recommended PSI.

Also, I'm well aware not to brake in a turn (particularly with your front brake, but as a newbie I don't want to touch my rear either) and I'm certain I didn't brake in the turn. That's why I'm a little confused as to how I went down, but it happened

Thanks for the concern, I appreciate it. Luckily I already had new grips and bar ends on the way anyways! And apparently my mid faring is only $40ish from ebay OEM.
post #12 of 25 Old 11-17-2014, 9:29 PM Thread Starter

So guys, I ordered that new side faring (Thanks for the link, 954Kevin!!) and I suppose the best way to cover up the minor scratches on the other panels would be spray paint (no use replacing them) but what should I do about the oil cover? Seems stupid to get a new one, I figured I could file down the roughness (taking off as little as possible, obviously) and then maybe cover it with something so it's not as bright/shiny? Any ideas?
post #13 of 25 Old 11-17-2014, 10:08 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 198

Bro, I've read everything posted so far, and I can tell you I'm certain you had to much air. 42 in the rear? What make of tire is it?
Doesn't matter - if your 42psi on a cold day. Even on a hot day, you'll slide out.
2 spills the same outing tells me I'm twice as likely to be right - Ian brought it up too.
For 1 rider, drop the rear tire pressure to about 30-32psi cold and the front tire a couple pounds higher.
Get off during your ride, and feel how warm your tire gets. Warm to hot range means it's gripping better than warm to cold range. Check your tire psi when you've got the tire good and warm, you'll see that you gain about 3psi to as high as 6 or 7psi. (varies on different tires) If you get your tire above about 40-42+psi warm, she's so tight that it can't flex to grip the road. The trick is to find that sweet spot where the tire runs warm, grips, and has the right psi to be able to flex. Not too much. Not to little.
If you don't have enough psi, It's easy to tell, your tires feel like your going through sand. Rear end feels unstable and front is hard to steer, or tip into a turn. It want's to keep going straight or run wide.

EDIT Actually it does matter; What brand and make of tire do you have?

Last edited by jondog9; 11-17-2014 at 10:16 PM.
post #14 of 25 Old 11-17-2014, 10:27 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jondog9 View Post
For 1 rider, drop the rear tire pressure to about 30-32psi cold and the front tire a couple pounds higher.
Get off during your ride, and feel how warm your tire gets. Warm to hot range means it's gripping better than warm to cold range.

EDIT Actually it does matter; What brand and make of tire do you have?
That actually makes a shitton of sense. I've felt my rear tire post-ride (for no real reason - just curiosity I guess) and even after highway riding 60mph + the tire is barely even warm... like, cooler than skin temp. I suppose they were pumped too hard. Guess I learned that the hard way, thanks so much for the tip I really appreciate it. That makes a lot of sense. Luckily that lesson only cost me about $100....

I'm not sure of the tire. I'll have to check. All I know is it's a new tire as well, less than 1500km on it.
post #15 of 25 Old 11-17-2014, 10:29 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jondog9 View Post
Pardon my ignorance, but why would I want the front tire HARDER than the rear?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > General Motorcycling > Wrecked Motorcycle Photos & Stories

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page