Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

CBR900RR Rapair help

5K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  Fanatic 
#1 ·
Hello everyone.
I had an incident with the old girl a month or so ago. I am on my feet again and want to start repairing the fairings. Can anyone point me to a thread that has some ideas, or can I describe the work that need to be done in this thread. If this is the wrong place for this question, please direct me to the right place.
Nick

#6 ·
The correct way to repair cracks is to "tack" them together with a plastic welder or butane torch. After fusing, grind the back side of the repair to rough up the plastic for better adhesion, stick some drywall tape over the damaged area (on the back side). Apply a two part epoxy or 3m plastic repair, completely covering the tape, either is fine. After it dries on the back side v-out the repair on the front side until you see the new epoxy from the back side. Apply 3m plastic repair to the front. After it dries sand and paint. I will post pics soon. I worked at a body shop for many years and always got stuck with plastic repairs.

#7 ·
best thing to use is superglue and bicarbonate soda, do not use baking powder it isnt the same..

you can get superglue in gel form now and also in 3 different viscositys,
the medium and thick help by not running off.
the bicarb gives volume to the glue and bonds together plastics, you can sand it and drill it and paint it after wards.

it is similar to q-bond and other powders and superglue formulas, but much cheaper.

good luck with it, i have a few friends who have repaired there fairings using the bicarb superglue way.

#9 ·
That type of repair might hold a non-stressed area. This is the official technique used in body repair facilities and is stronger than the original plastic fairing. Vibration and stress from bending will lead to cracking in this area until in is repaired/reinforced. I'm willing to bet every 1993 900RR has cracks in this area.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.