Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

Went down on my FZ 09

5K views 21 replies 7 participants last post by  Squid 
#1 ·
Hello every one,

So I went down on Xmas eve in a parking lot, not the usual 5mph drop but it was more like 35mph going in the parking lot of a shopping center, car backed up without seeing me coming, try to avoid it by leaning and applying some throttle and it got stuck in, bike pop a wheelie went down side ways and took me underneath a car.

Damage:
Open fracture in fib and tib and fractured left clavicle. Glad I'm still here to talk about it but being disabled temporary and walking with crutches, ain't no fun. frame sliders took the hit and the exhaust :crying: got smashed in; only that canister but I think I will have to buy a full exhaust again or install the stock one again.

Ride safe every one.

Attachments

See less See more
#5 ·
35 in a parking lot on Christmas Eve? You couldn't possibly have picked a worse time than Christmas Eve to haul a** through a parking lot! A wheelie on your FZ09? You gave her a little more than SOME throttle, you gave her all of it! Hell, I almost got run over twice this year just walking through parking lots, the mall and Bed, Bath and Beyond, people are 5X stupider at Christmas (conservative estimate) Hope you heal up well and learned a valuable lesson, not to be a d!@k, but the next lesson could be a lot worse if you didn't. Be safe.

#7 ·
Hi

Here in the Uk you have to do compulsory training on small bikes but I see a lot of people in the states get a Fireblade for a first bike is that allowed?

I'm 65 when I got my licence when I was 16 we were limited to a 250 until we passed our test.

Despite that, I struggled to insure a Fireblade because they wanted 2 years no claims to insure a sports bike over 600. I insured a 1200 Bandit no probs.

Bikes are a dangerous place to be.

Ride safe out there and get well soon.

Pete

#8 ·
Hi

Here in the Uk you have to do compulsory training on small bikes but I see a lot of people in the states get a Fireblade for a first bike is that allowed?

I'm 65 when I got my licence when I was 16 we were limited to a 250 until we passed our test.

Despite that, I struggled to insure a Fireblade because they wanted 2 years no claims to insure a sports bike over 600. I insured a 1200 Bandit no probs.

Bikes are a dangerous place to be.

Ride safe out there and get well soon.

Pete

#11 ·
That is correct, here in the U.S. you are free to purchase and ride whatever you like, regardless of age or experience :thumb:. Not popular with most folks in the U.K., I know, but we do enjoy our freedoms, at least what we have left :patriot:. Getting and paying for insurance, now that is a different situation entirely.:smilebig: I tried to buy a new Suzuki GS 750 when I was 18, 1 year's insurance premium for full coverage ( required when financing) was damn near as much as the price of the bike. Needless to say, being that I was not a spoiled rich brat, I was working as much as possible, living on my own and putting myself through A&P school while getting very little, if any help from my parents, I settled for a nice used CB 750 my dad found from one of his coworkers for $750, a buck a cc. When I see kids riding new liter bikes what goes through my mind is how the hell can they afford them, must be spoiled...Anyway, hope that answered your question...
P.S. If I didn't catch you back in November, :welcome:

#9 ·
For the record, I have been riding over 5 years and had no accidents and I had pretty close to death situations that I got out of with no scratch due to my defensive riding style, and fire blade isn't my first bike, it's my fifth. So it's a part of the sport to go down, it's a matter of when.

Thanks for the replies and be safe out there everyone.

#18 ·
Why is it stupid; when the damn throttle got stuck in and ive stated that even to the police that showed up to take my statement. fairly obvious; Its not a rider error/stupidity. It was more of a hardware malfunction.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.