Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

First off, and it was a biggy.

8K views 36 replies 17 participants last post by  Wooded 
#1 ·
So went to th Isle of Man for the TT. It was great atmosphere was epic, all the people there are amazing, and I made a headline while I was there, though sadly not one I wanted, and hence this post.
So I'd done the TT track a couple of time, and it's amazing, lots of temporary speed limits set up over it a I can understand why as you can get caught out pretty quick, but after a few times round they do get a little annoying on some of the sections where you could have some fun. Police where knocking about but as long as you weren't doing anything dangerous or being an idiot they were pretty cool.
Anyways I put that that bit in for context, I'd ridden the TT track and anyone thinking they should I advise you do, it's awesome!
So after a few great days the lads wanted to head out over to peel for a ride out, which has a nice little harbour. So we went stopped bought some kippers happy days. All good. We filled up and set off up the coast road back home.
Pretty straight road and you can see it well ahead all the way down. Maybe I was still stoked from the TT track or maybe I thought I could ride better than what I can. Still trying to piece together what happened.
So down the road is a corner called devils elbow. Aptly named turns out. I didn't realise it was a hairpin corner, or that it was coming up. In hindsight my road position was garbage and probably a touch to hot for the corner, although I recon if my road position was better I could have made it. Right hand corner, leaned the bike over but was I the centre line when I should of been on the outside. Leaned as far as I could but I wasn't prepared if the corner. Saw the edge getting closer. There was a moment of **** this is goons to sting. Didn't brake as thought I could get round if I leaned enough and kept a steady gas. But low and behold, I ran out of road. Bike went on the grass, and the other Side of the corner involve a 100 foot drop, that I went over.
Don't remember much after that. Emergency services were great. So was nobles hospital. Didn't see my bike again. Apparently the police comment was that the bike was totally for for purpose before the accident and it was rider error. Last comment for them was "there's not much of the bike left".
So onto injuries, the main point made was lucky to be alive.
Top to bottom : broken shoulder(unsure if needs plate yet), dislocated shoulder, broken elbow (needed a plate), 2 broken ribs, fractured back ( 2 places), fractured pelvis, fractured foot. Pretty lucky all in all.
Nobody puts these stories on here for to be trolled, it's for awareness and learning for other riders, I'll take a lot away from my off. I'll stick some photos on in a bit.

See less See more
#2 ·
Holy sh!t son, lucky to be alive is right after reading your length of fall and injuries!!!!! Soooo glad to hear you're on the mend however, in some capacity. Sure hope you get back at it when you're up to it. Take it slow, don't rush it, and recover well. :thumb:

#6 ·
Sorry about the bike, my condolences...

I would rather have that and read about your wicked off (once in a lifetime maybe?) while you heal up safely. Definitely glad you made it out in one piece =)

About the bike- doesn't look horrible... duct tape and super glue maybe?

#8 ·
Sub frame snapped and bent, swing arm bent, forks bent, only bought her for 1300 2 year ago and would be £500 to release it and that's before being shipped back and then repairs. Wheels are bent, you can see the rims are bent in that pic as well. I called it dead and I wouldn't want anyone riding it after that mess anyway even.

#10 ·
Can't ride until I'm fit again looking at 6-12 months if I heal up properly, then I'll look at getting a cbr6 again (love em) maybe 08/09 plate maybe rr. I was thinking about something newer anyway.

#11 ·
Might have to agree with you about anyone else ever getting on that beast... bad juju after such an off.

Take your time and heal up properly. I'm glad to hear you aren't giving up.. just taking a required break. Many people have much-less scary offs and quit the sport altogether =( It is a rare breed that takes it as a learning experience and plans their next adventure. Good on you matey! =)

#17 ·
He missed the hairpin just the way you missed his point about not wanting to be trolled and to make this a learning issue which I appreciate from Wooded very much.......best of luck in your recovery friend as for Like Bikes let's hope we can aspire to be as perfect as he is:rant:

#15 ·
Eyes wides open I assure you. I didn't see any signage advising of the hairpin, and no speed signs or warning corner signs, there wasn't any black and white corner arrow signs (that usually give plenty of warning to slow and get your body position right) that I saw to say it's a tight corner.
Don't get me wrong I openly submit to it being my fault, you can't epically crash a bike on your own without it being your own fault.
First time I'd ridden the road so should have taken it easier, maybe I didn't look through the corner (the scenery is beautiful) and then go focused on going over, I didn't stand the bike up or brake but at that point it was probably too late.
Can't really remember, the minds a funny thing, blacked out most if not all of the off and rescue. I really would like to be able to pin it down but it was a mistake. Pure and simple. I wasn't breaking any laws, or being a idiot. These things happen. Just would have been better to happen without the drop off.... I would have preferred a nice low side.
Another rider did exactly the same thing in the same place a day later. He was in the bed next to me at the hospital. It's all all online and documented, search of Isle of Man Devils elbow, both of us are on there although the German fella got the bulk of the coverage.

#16 ·
The road follows a hill side that concealed the hair pin, and from a distance looks like a straight road, looks like a small s bend as you come up to it, but then turns and hairpins, you can't see it in full until your on it... From what I remember anyway.
I'll go back to it when I've recovered properly and have a good look, probably next year that though.

#20 ·
Haha, got an appointment tomorrow at docs to start physio :( it's gonna hurt, my elbow looks a lot like that! I'll see if I can get the pictures of it! Have about 6 or 7 pond dotted about On it though!

#21 ·
Sorry about the wreck... Of all the places to wreck, that is probably the most bad-ass! Will be a hell of a story someday!

I'm glad you had a good time up to that point. It was pretty amazing scenery around that bend. Would definitely be tough to keep focused, especially if riding at a quick pace...

I'm glad you are alive and able to tell your story. Hopefully you have a full and quick recovery!!

#24 ·
CHEESE AND RICE WOODED! :eek: Nice stack. :crap:
Nice way to get yourself some attention mate. Glad to see your still kicking and hope you recover quickly mate. :thumb:

#30 ·
Jeez get well soon man.i was sitting in my hotel listening to the report of your accident on the radio,thinking i wonder were the devils elbow was,so later that same day i went to the motor museum and took the road to kirk michael and came on the said elbow! It comes up so soon and the tarmac isi'nt great,saw little yellow marks on the road where police must have marked after accident,you a lucky man!;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.