First off, and it was a biggy. - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Wrecked Motorcycle Photos & Stories This section of the site is for wrecked motorcycles. Photos of wrecked bikes, before and after photos. How you wrecked it & how you fixed it. Most of us have laid it down or lost it for one reason or another. Tell your stories here.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 37 Old 06-28-2015, 8:40 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 12

First off, and it was a biggy.

So went to th Isle of Man for the TT. It was great atmosphere was epic, all the people there are amazing, and I made a headline while I was there, though sadly not one I wanted, and hence this post.
So I'd done the TT track a couple of time, and it's amazing, lots of temporary speed limits set up over it a I can understand why as you can get caught out pretty quick, but after a few times round they do get a little annoying on some of the sections where you could have some fun. Police where knocking about but as long as you weren't doing anything dangerous or being an idiot they were pretty cool.
Anyways I put that that bit in for context, I'd ridden the TT track and anyone thinking they should I advise you do, it's awesome!
So after a few great days the lads wanted to head out over to peel for a ride out, which has a nice little harbour. So we went stopped bought some kippers happy days. All good. We filled up and set off up the coast road back home.
Pretty straight road and you can see it well ahead all the way down. Maybe I was still stoked from the TT track or maybe I thought I could ride better than what I can. Still trying to piece together what happened.
So down the road is a corner called devils elbow. Aptly named turns out. I didn't realise it was a hairpin corner, or that it was coming up. In hindsight my road position was garbage and probably a touch to hot for the corner, although I recon if my road position was better I could have made it. Right hand corner, leaned the bike over but was I the centre line when I should of been on the outside. Leaned as far as I could but I wasn't prepared if the corner. Saw the edge getting closer. There was a moment of **** this is goons to sting. Didn't brake as thought I could get round if I leaned enough and kept a steady gas. But low and behold, I ran out of road. Bike went on the grass, and the other Side of the corner involve a 100 foot drop, that I went over.
Don't remember much after that. Emergency services were great. So was nobles hospital. Didn't see my bike again. Apparently the police comment was that the bike was totally for for purpose before the accident and it was rider error. Last comment for them was "there's not much of the bike left".
So onto injuries, the main point made was lucky to be alive.
Top to bottom : broken shoulder(unsure if needs plate yet), dislocated shoulder, broken elbow (needed a plate), 2 broken ribs, fractured back ( 2 places), fractured pelvis, fractured foot. Pretty lucky all in all.
Nobody puts these stories on here for to be trolled, it's for awareness and learning for other riders, I'll take a lot away from my off. I'll stick some photos on in a bit.

...if its still not working hit it again, just use a bigger hammer!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 Old 06-28-2015, 8:48 AM
President: Team Full Chat

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quoted: 715 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 102

Garage
Re: First off, and it was a biggy.

Holy sh!t son, lucky to be alive is right after reading your length of fall and injuries!!!!! Soooo glad to hear you're on the mend however, in some capacity. Sure hope you get back at it when you're up to it. Take it slow, don't rush it, and recover well.

My 99 900RR Track Build Link:Track Build 900RRX

My Red Rocker 93 Build Link: Café 900RRP
post #3 of 37 Old 06-28-2015, 10:19 AM Thread Starter

Couple of days after
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg‎  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 37 Old 06-28-2015, 10:30 AM Thread Starter

The bike being lifted out the ravine
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg‎  

post #5 of 37 Old 06-28-2015, 11:14 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 48

wow happy youre still around n kicking. i guess youll have one hell of a wicked TT story for the grandchildren! lol take your time n heal up right brother!

"love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle."-Hunter S. Thompson
post #6 of 37 Old 06-28-2015, 11:23 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 66

Garage

Sorry about the bike, my condolences...

I would rather have that and read about your wicked off (once in a lifetime maybe?) while you heal up safely. Definitely glad you made it out in one piece =)

About the bike- doesn't look horrible... duct tape and super glue maybe?

/**Serenity**\ 2002 Honda CBR954RR Fireblade

"But risks must be taken, because the greatest risk in life is to risk nothing. Only the person who risks is truly free."
post #7 of 37 Old 06-28-2015, 11:32 AM

Reputation Power: 8

damn amigo glad your alright definitely gona have one hell of a story. am with demon bike doesn't look to bad
post #8 of 37 Old 06-28-2015, 11:51 AM Thread Starter

Sub frame snapped and bent, swing arm bent, forks bent, only bought her for 1300 2 year ago and would be £500 to release it and that's before being shipped back and then repairs. Wheels are bent, you can see the rims are bent in that pic as well. I called it dead and I wouldn't want anyone riding it after that mess anyway even.

post #9 of 37 Old 06-28-2015, 11:53 AM Thread Starter

My elbow was gone, so that's now fully metal reconstruction.
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg‎  

post #10 of 37 Old 06-28-2015, 11:58 AM Thread Starter

Can't ride until I'm fit again looking at 6-12 months if I heal up properly, then I'll look at getting a cbr6 again (love em) maybe 08/09 plate maybe rr. I was thinking about something newer anyway.

post #11 of 37 Old 06-28-2015, 12:37 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 66

Garage

Might have to agree with you about anyone else ever getting on that beast... bad juju after such an off.

Take your time and heal up properly. I'm glad to hear you aren't giving up.. just taking a required break. Many people have much-less scary offs and quit the sport altogether =( It is a rare breed that takes it as a learning experience and plans their next adventure. Good on you matey! =)

/**Serenity**\ 2002 Honda CBR954RR Fireblade

"But risks must be taken, because the greatest risk in life is to risk nothing. Only the person who risks is truly free."
post #12 of 37 Old 06-28-2015, 2:11 PM

Reputation Power: 0

Glad to hear you're ok. Heal up, and get back on the horse.
post #13 of 37 Old 06-29-2015, 1:05 AM

Reputation Power: 0

First, thank you for sharing your story. I dislike reading about people's injuries (because I don't want you to be hurt!), but I learn a lot from each mishap report that people care to write.

Second, heal well and quickly!
post #14 of 37 Old 06-29-2015, 5:22 AM

Reputation Power: 5

Sorry to hear you are hurt - get well soon.

But..how could you not know the corner was coming up or that it was a hairpin? Did you have your eyes closed?

This is why bikes are a dangerous place to be, it's not the bikes....

Pete
post #15 of 37 Old 06-29-2015, 8:38 AM Thread Starter

Eyes wides open I assure you. I didn't see any signage advising of the hairpin, and no speed signs or warning corner signs, there wasn't any black and white corner arrow signs (that usually give plenty of warning to slow and get your body position right) that I saw to say it's a tight corner.
Don't get me wrong I openly submit to it being my fault, you can't epically crash a bike on your own without it being your own fault.
First time I'd ridden the road so should have taken it easier, maybe I didn't look through the corner (the scenery is beautiful) and then go focused on going over, I didn't stand the bike up or brake but at that point it was probably too late.
Can't really remember, the minds a funny thing, blacked out most if not all of the off and rescue. I really would like to be able to pin it down but it was a mistake. Pure and simple. I wasn't breaking any laws, or being a idiot. These things happen. Just would have been better to happen without the drop off.... I would have preferred a nice low side.
Another rider did exactly the same thing in the same place a day later. He was in the bed next to me at the hospital. It's all all online and documented, search of Isle of Man Devils elbow, both of us are on there although the German fella got the bulk of the coverage.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > General Motorcycling > Wrecked Motorcycle Photos & Stories

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page