i was lucky.. - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Wrecked Motorcycle Photos & Stories This section of the site is for wrecked motorcycles. Photos of wrecked bikes, before and after photos. How you wrecked it & how you fixed it. Most of us have laid it down or lost it for one reason or another. Tell your stories here.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 Old 10-10-2015, 5:37 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 6

i was lucky..

So i got tagged a couple weeks ago. it was really close to being really bad! so im travelling along at about 30 mph (4. 8 km), lane splitting in the furthest left lane (an HOV lane) and a young deud just yanks it over to get behind an suv in the right lane next to him. no blinker didnt even look at me. so i cranked it over and held down the horn while mashing front brake as much as i could. my bar end just barely touched his passenger window for a brief moment i believe.. then i plowed into the back of the suv. sprained my wrists, whiplash. Was huting pretty bad but didnt break anything, so i was lucky. Managed to keep it upright as well. they both pulled over. now its been almost 30 days and state farm is the guys insurance hasnt "made a determination yet" i think i may need a lawyer. bike has an odd vibration at highway speed now, broke the brake lever right off. bent the front end up. not sure if its just the risers and maybe a fork tube. bah. well cudda been worse. .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 11-11-2015, 1:54 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 5

Re: i was lucky..

is lane splitting legal where you are? here in oz it isnt...
glad you didnt come off worse but yeah..its pretty dangerous. Filtering thru stopped or slow traffic - ie under 30 km/hr different story
post #3 of 14 Old 11-11-2015, 2:59 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Lane Splitting,if its legal it sucks,if its illegal it also sucks. . .people just don't watch out for bikes on the highway . .. here in SA we have the same problem but here its kinda the riders fault aswell.Here some people think its a great idea to go 80kph+ through stop and go traffic.and then some bloak switches lanes and the bike rams into the car.so now its the bloak in the cars fault cuz the guy on the bike couldn't stop quick enough which he could have if he didn't think his R1 was n freaking rocket and he thought he was a bad ass.in SA Most of the riders here thinks they have 3 Balls and everyone thinks they're **** floats.But Glad to hear your okay bro.Could have been Real Bad!

The one who follows the crowd will usually get no further than the crowd.The one who ride's alone is likely to find himself in places no one has ever been
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 Old 11-14-2015, 10:35 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 8

FWIW @nixxon , yes lane splitting is legal in California (where the OP is from).

-'02 Silver/Black CBR 954RR
-'06 Black/Metallic Gray RC-51

-'11 Graphite Black CBR 1000RR
(sold)
-'08 Pearl Orange CBR 600RR (sold)
post #5 of 14 Old 11-15-2015, 1:04 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 5

[QUOTE=COBRA90GT;1199704]FWIW @nixxon , yes lane splitting is legal in California (where the OP is from

Oh ok..quick google advises it's legal to 30mphr, in slow or stopped traffic, in ca.
My bad didn't notice op stated he was going 30!
Still kinda quick next to stopped traffic imho, when cars can do as above..
Sheesh I'm old lol.
post #6 of 14 Old 11-23-2015, 11:10 AM Thread Starter

i was actually going just 5 mph or so faster than traffic was moving. i am very aware of how dangerous it can be out here. there is a bike accident just about daily thru this area. many drivers do move over and make room but a percentage of drivers feel its there duty to lane block, and other ahole moves that can be deadly.
Sadly my baby has been deemed totaled. Looks like a bent fork tube or otherwise bent front end.
Anyone have any thoughts on what i should try to get from insurance company? lawyer said it could/would land in small claims but i should get up to $10,000. the blue book is way low on a 99 cbr 600, but try and buy one and they are around double the blue book. i have no broken bones but missed several days of work as i couldnt turn my head ect..
post #7 of 14 Old 11-23-2015, 2:12 PM

$10,000 whao!cant get a new blade for that or almost new blade?

The one who follows the crowd will usually get no further than the crowd.The one who ride's alone is likely to find himself in places no one has ever been
post #8 of 14 Old 11-23-2015, 4:18 PM Thread Starter

(10,000 was the lawyers geuss at best case with me taking the ins. co to small claims court)

pain and suffering?

meh..

Last edited by feelfree; 11-23-2015 at 4:23 PM.
post #9 of 14 Old 11-25-2015, 8:03 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 122

Garage

[quote=nixxon;1199711]
Quote:
Originally Posted by COBRA90GT View Post
FWIW @nixxon , yes lane splitting is legal in California (where the OP is from

Oh ok..quick google advises it's legal to 30mphr, in slow or stopped traffic, in ca.
My bad didn't notice op stated he was going 30!
Still kinda quick next to stopped traffic imho, when cars can do as above..
Sheesh I'm old lol.
It is "not advisable" by the CHP above 30 mph; however, it is not illegal. The limit is 10 mph above the flow of traffic. I used to lane split every day on my way to work, quite often behind CHP officers. Like any other riding conditions, with experience comes proficiency, and safety. You learn to read people's actions and predict there (idiotic) future actions.
Anyone whose spent enough time on SoCal freeways probably feels safer between lanes than sandwiched in betweeen two 5000 lb SUV's with jacktains reading the paper, eating breakfast, shaving, putting on makeup, on the phone, etc. in stop and go traffic. I wish I had a $ for every rear end collision I was NOT in because I was alongside cars instead of in between. Lets face it, while on a bike, in traffic you're never "safe", but I personally find it much more dangerous being stuck behind a truck van or SUV you cannot see in front of, then trying to get out from behind when he locks his brakes and you have to avoid becoming the "meat" in the sandwich. While in between lanes you can see everthing happening around you, and better control things, situational awareness.

"You live more for 5 minutes going fast on a bike than other people do in all their life"-Marco Simoncelli
post #10 of 14 Old 11-25-2015, 6:37 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 198

How are you recovering? Probably fractured your wrists. Ouch

Quote:
Originally Posted by fj1200rj View Post

It is "not advisable" by the CHP above 30 mph; however, it is not illegal. The limit is 10 mph above the flow of traffic. I used to lane split every day on my way to work, quite often behind CHP officers. Like any other riding conditions, with experience comes proficiency, and safety. You learn to read people's actions and predict there (idiotic) future actions.
Anyone whose spent enough time on SoCal freeways probably feels safer between lanes than sandwiched in betweeen two 5000 lb SUV's with jacktains reading the paper, eating breakfast, shaving, putting on makeup, on the phone, etc. in stop and go traffic. I wish I had a $ for every rear end collision I was NOT in because I was alongside cars instead of in between. Lets face it, while on a bike, in traffic you're never "safe", but I personally find it much more dangerous being stuck behind a truck van or SUV you cannot see in front of, then trying to get out from behind when he locks his brakes and you have to avoid becoming the "meat" in the sandwich. While in between lanes you can see everthing happening around you, and better control things, situational awareness.

Every word you just typed is Gospel!
I would only add, on a positive note, I've encountered MANY car drivers who ungrudgingly acknowledge and make room for the bikes that split as long as you're not being a douche.
Lane splitting is much safer than you non-lane-splitting disbelievers know.
Learn it.
Live it.
Love it.

And split/share it.
post #11 of 14 Old 11-26-2015, 6:34 PM
Supporting Member

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 500 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 24

Garage

I agree, not much having a bike if you can't make "progress" here it's called "filtering" every one does it and as long as you are sensible and courteous I find the majority of cars move over and give you some space.
post #12 of 14 Old 11-27-2015, 1:37 AM

Reputation Power: 23

Amen to what FJ said, lane splitting is one of the best reasons to have a motorcycle in Southern California. Put all of the bad drivers in the rearview mirror. You wanna drive like an ass. No problem, drive like an ass behind me. Have a nice day.
post #13 of 14 Old 11-27-2015, 12:07 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by poison View Post
Amen to what FJ said, lane splitting is one of the best reasons to have a motorcycle in Southern California. Put all of the bad drivers in the rearview mirror. You wanna drive like an ass. No problem, drive like an ass behind me. Have a nice day.

Well said sir, well said.
I cant imagine Not lane splitting after getting used to it. I would feel, _unsafe_.
post #14 of 14 Old 11-27-2015, 12:13 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jondog9 View Post
How are you recovering? Probably fractured your wrists. Ouch

Lane splitting is much safer than you non-lane-splitting disbelievers know.
Learn it.
Live it.
Love it.

And split/share it.

Wrist, particularly gas hand is popping strangely, im not sure really if I should push for an MRI. im hopeful as I didnt break anything, that I wont see issues doen the road.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > General Motorcycling > Wrecked Motorcycle Photos & Stories

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page