Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

Crash course in Left-Side driving!

2K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  poison 
#1 · (Edited)
Ok, so this happened WAY back in 2005, out near Parramatta, NSW. I had just gotten to Australia, and in my infinite wisdom, I decide to get another bike.
Due to my Army time, I had been off a bike for a couple of years (not including the last 6 months, riding a bike my brother loaned me back in Santa Cruz).
I buy this GREAT specimen of a 1989 CBR1000F. PERFECT condition. Not a single crack in the fairing, single owner.
So, my GF and I are headed to her Granny's house in Guildford, and as I come up to this intersection, the light turns yellow. I'm JUST about to cross the zebra stripe when it changes.
So, this green Mazda is sitting on the other side of the intersection, waiting to turn right. As I enter the intersection, she goes for it.

Seeing as I grew up driving RIGHT-Side, my reactions were a bit, ummm, WRONG for the situation!

So, instead of pulling hard RIGHT, like I should have, natural reaction for me was to juke left.
So, the bike hit squarely between the passenger door and the wheel well.
I hit her so hard, my left handlebar broke off!

Since we were both headed for the same direction, when we came together, my knee found that nice hollow spot in the door and filled it.
My shoulder found the upper corner of her passenger door, right where the windscreen meets the roof, and stopped right there (the rest of me did not, however!)

The bike found every spot on that car it could fit into.

It took me three months to lift a three liter jug of milk.
Six months after the wreck, I had a new bike- a 1989 CBR1000F!

I bought this guy from Fox Movie Studios. They told me it was used as a Police bike in the Superman Returns movie.
I didn't see it.....(the bike, not the movie!).

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.