Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

so... what're 600RR parts going for nowadays?

5K views 40 replies 5 participants last post by  unslow1 
#1 ·
Nope. Didn't hurt a bit. Bought it last night from a "wrecking" outfit (little play on words there... teeheehee) where the owner NOR insurance company came for it, and the proprietor was tired of it sitting around.

Spent a few hours on it (after dark, missed the friggin' hockey game) :rant: ...and it seems to only be missing some plastics, headlight assembly, and the somewhat important BAS. Of course LOTS of broken and damaged bits, but by the time I discovered the missing BAS, and how to "properly" bypass it, t'was after midnight and good kiddies are to be in bed by then.

I've given myself a deadline (and VERY limited budget) of Independence Day (July 4th 2016) to have it running, rideable, and somewhat "respectable". If I'm UNable to meet that, Johnny 5 disassemble.

[URL=http://s1078.photobucket.com/user/unslow12/media/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20160520_200504_hdr_zpsapiswsw0.jpg.html]
[/URL]

See less See more
#2 ·
Anyone have some controls, gauge pod, or headlamp they're looking to get rid of? no? :hmm: I guess I'm on my own with this one, eh? :D

#3 · (Edited)
I bought from these guys before, real class act. I had a gauge ordered and when it arrived, it had some scratches on it, and they gave me the option for an exchange, complete refund, or $10 off and keep it. I took the $10 and got out some plastic polish for headlights that worked great. Very friendly fellow bikers not trying to get up on anyone.
I wish everyone had that ethic you run into actually.
Somethings you just got to pay for.

http://stores.ebay.com/BikeStrippers

#5 ·
armed with the schematics from a downloaded Service Manual, AND a little bit of electrical knowledge... I decided to bypass the missing BAS, charged the battery, and...

:clap: :woohoo: :clap:

#7 ·
I can't convey what relief and EXCITEMENT I had this morning when I heard the fuel pump prime... then hear it start and idle smoothly :freebird:

I'm assuming the headlamp assembly and gaugepod will be the most significant investment... bits & pieces of the plastics seem relatively easy to find on craigslist the past 24 hours :thumb:

#9 ·
weekends are great!

I pulled all the (what's left) plastics off today and started to seriously survey what's FUBAR and missing (other than the obvious); right side controls and throttle tube, brake perch clamp, right rearset, left peg, rear rim.

Then, decided I'd give my hand at trying a more permanent "fix" to my missing BAS and damaged bar-mounted "emergency" kill switch.

Bypassing the BAS;
Again, mine is missing, so I had to dive in a little deeper to bypass the circuit, so I located the wires at the two "main" connectors. Green wire at the Blue connector, and Red/White wire at the Grey connector. Carefully removed the wires and ends from the connectors:

Decided against cutting & soldering, and just "heat shrank" them together:

fired right up, and with no delicate "jumper wire" :thumb:

#12 ·
does that come on the inside of a PopTart lid, or the back of an Applebee's receipt? :deal: :smilebig:

I screwed up the "emergency kill" bypass the first time. I used the same technique as with the BAS, but apparently the control block needs the signal from the switch to "power" the starter button. So I cut, soldered, and heatshrank the BLACK and the WHITE/BLACK wires at the block instead of at the connector.

*wikki-wikki-VROOOM!* :freebird:

#11 ·
I'll skip the "emergency killswitch" bypass for now since the subframe is in DIRE need of some straightening. :eek: Got my long bar, axehandle, and with a great deal of leverage... forward, march!

Internet magic... voilá!

far from perfect, but so is the rest of the bike.
IMO, it's better than the "before" pic on the trailer :cool:

#13 ·
it keeps it on the bars until I can find a replacement control block and throttle tube.

all back together until I get some more parts.
gonna need a replacement rear rim too :crap:

#14 ·
Well, for those that give a crap... been ordering (used) parts off ebay & craigslist like crazy the past few days. Must be some parts aren't "moving", because I've been utilizing ebay's "Make Offer" feature and laying down some almost offensive offers... but they're accepting them! :clap:

Expecting upper fairing (with BAS, harness, & headlight assemblies), fairing stay (or antler), rear rim, right side controls, and peg bracket. I was about $40 underbudget, so I ordered a $20 Chinese solo cowl (since the seat is pretty damaged), a $10 Chinese twist throttle, and some $20 Chinese shorty billet adjustable levers.

I was able to use a few items from my 954 parts bin and save a few bucks there. UNfortunatley, only about $150 remaining for this budget (re)build and it still needs a gaugepod and harness.

Probably should've passed on those "extras" :nono:

Hope to be receiving parts and wrenching over the long weekend :patriot:

#19 ·
just to (temporarily) hold it in place.

ordered a '10 throttle assembly today, to hopefully do away with the bulky right-side control block. where is that stinkin' FedEx/UPS/USPS chick anyway :idunno: :smilebig:

#20 ·
parts arriving daily :freebird:

Received the upper assembly (nose, headlights w/ harness, BAS) Friday. Disassembled the parts, surveyed tabs and damage, them mocked up just the plastic until the fairing stay shows up.

Right peg bracket also showed up, but needs some cleaning to get the spraypaint off :hmm:

Then had just enough time to mount and adjust new billet shorties :shades:

#21 ·
Since I have "bigger fish to fry" than just taking paint off a pegmount to look good, I decided to mount the dang thing up, and move on. Not going to be a showbike by any means, and my first priority is getting it RIDEABLE.

expecting new (used) rear rim in this week

...and had a "spare" peg in my 954 parts box for the other side (since it was missing). it ain't gotsta be pretty... just functional (for now)

#23 ·
me too brother :thumb: thanks for the compliment :cheers:

gonna head out and get some RIDING in with friends tomorrow. plan on stopping at a few places and pay our respects to some fallen heroes :patriot:

#24 ·
parts in :dance:

9 days, ~$25. I've heard some folks complain about Chinese "junk", but in this case, the color looks about right, and with just some minor adjustments, should be spot on :shades:

#25 ·
UPS/FedEx/USPS has been dropping off packages everyday this week :dance:

'08 1KRR start/kill (had to rewire so connector would be compatible... easy peasy) and throttle housing (tube is en route)

whatchya got there, gurrls :idunno:

YYYES!!! :freebird:

#28 ·
from China with love...

Should've been the first thing I ordered, but at least I have it now... so let the progress begin!

#29 ·
Since the rim came today, I'm only lacking the throttle tube and guagepod. Haven't yet decided to "pull the trigger" on missing ducts nor covers... would like to ensure all electronics function properly (fan, lights, etc.) before investing in the "nice-to-haves".

I haven't been this eager to ride a 600 in two decades :smilebig:

#30 ·
Have any of you ever performed a small modification for a short-term cause, only to have it frustrated & confuse you in the long run... :idunno: hmh. :hmm: just me then? okay. Well, for the sake of someone who's been following this thread, or took my advice and bypassed the BAS or Bank Angle Sensor the way I did...

SO! If you followed my lead, you're probably wondering why your front lights don't work :crap: Apparently, that little green wire also powers the headlight harness. Since my new nose assembly CAME WITH a functioning BAS, I UNdid the bypass, and VOILA! lights work. :clap:

If you want to bypass the BAS, and still have functioning headlamps, instead of pulling the pins from the connectors, run a "jumper wire" BEFORE the connectors (from the red to the green). This way, the lights get power, but the BAS is bypassed.

cheers! :cheers:

#32 ·
throttle tube arrived today... stuck in a billet grip though, so it had to go.

I'm short two screws (for the control block), but here's what a 2004 600RR looks like with '08 1000RR controls :shades:

also managed to get the lights wired up. :thumb:

might be able to get the tire off the damaged rim and mounted on the "new" one this weekend. if so, and if the weather isn't too bad, could finally get a shakedown run. :cycle:

...still don't want to dish out $200-$250 for a guagepod :O

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.