Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

Another wreck and life lost =(

3K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  jdoni 
#1 ·
I was put very early this morning/late last evening on a late-night ride, as usual. I came over the bridge and down into Gulf Shores when I came across a road full of ambulances, fire trucks, and police vehicles. I figured there must have been a pretty bad accident as they had the entire road (all 5 lanes) blocked to traffic, but did not think much of it. After a bit more riding I made a stop at the beach, again as usual, only to find out that the wreck had been a motorcycle that T-boned a car that pulled out in front of it with a drunk driver behind the wheel.

It was not until later that I found out that it was a friend of mine. Two local girls were riding up the main highway at a higher speed than they should have, even with it being the off-season and virtually a ghost-town. A drunk driver pulled out onto the highway in front of them. One was able to swerve and miss the car but the other rider did not react fast enough to avoid the collision. She t-boned the car, most likely killing her instantly.

It is just sad to see another friend gone to the hobby and because of two poor decisions. The first is some asshat that decided it was okay to get behind the wheel of a car after spending the night at a bar drinking. It goes without saying that this is unacceptable. The second poor decision, and reason I place fault with the rider too, was the fact that two friends were "goofing" around in a delinquent way in an area that is too-often busy. Wrong time, wrong place.

This was a young girl, absolutely beautiful, going to college, ,a great outlook on life, and an amazing attitude rarely found in girls of her beauty. She had far too long to live for such a tragedy to happen to her.

So I want to urge everyone here to be safe. Riding is inherently dangerous enough when you think of how many things can go wrong from mechanical failure, traction failure, and even rider-error. Adding in unnecessary risk and poor judgement often equals disaster, or in this case, tragedy.

Keep the stupid riding for the right time, in the right place, and do so mitigating as much risk as possible. Down the main highway of a town is simply not the right place. Wear your gear, ride within your limits, mitigate as much risk as possible, ride smart, and stay alive.

See less See more
Reactions: Langsam and jondog9
#2 ·
Man... really sorry to hear about this. I think if you're old enough we probably all have someone that we've lost to this thing we love. Tragic that it was someone so young. I'm sure all of us can probably think back to something stupid we've done and were lucky enough to make it home safe. Luckily we lasted through that phase to the point where we learned to be safer. I always feel bad for those who don't.
I live in Indiana so you can throw whitetail deer into the mix of drunks when it comes to night time hazards. I've almost completely cut out riding at night, something that used to be one of my favorite activities.
Sorry she was a friend. :-/

#3 ·
Such a sad story. I recently lost my baby sister less then two months ago in a work related training accident. Reading this story is breaking my heart thinking about the sadness and sorry the family in going through. When you're dead, you're dead. It's the people that you leave behind who suffer. Losing a love one is the worst pain I have ever felt in my life. I never knew pain like this can exist. Please make responsible decisions people because Your loved ones are the one you will be hurting...

#5 ·
Unfortunately this is not my first loss, or second, or even third. On this forum alone I believe that we have lost no less than three members over the time I have been here, maybe more =(

PhiAlpha - Even in Southern Alabama we have whitetail... though they are about half the size of yankee deer. One of our biggest issues (shared here) is opossum raccoons, but we have a unique armored small critter too; the armadillo. With my work schedule I am often at a crossroads of ride at night after work or do not ride at all. I simply refuse to give up riding so I deal with the dangers the best I can. Thank you for your condolences, and I agree we are lucky to live past the early "go go go (fast)" stages and have too many close calls that open our eyes.

Sabotage - The loss of life is inevitable, but tragic nonetheless. I am sorry to hear about your sister. I am fortunate that my immediate family has escaped unscathed so far. My dad rides too, and very frequently. My somewhat extended family has seen unfortunate loss though. There are three last year that I was not really able.. willing... ready? to share. The first is both my aunt and uncle that were hit by a drunk driver that crossed left-of-center and went head-on with their motorcycle. My uncle was in a coma for about three weeks, my aunt for about six months. About a year after waking up from her coma and being released my aunt died in her sleep from complications as a result of the accident. My uncle passed away about six months later; same cause. Only three short months later my other aunt succumbed to cancer (actually it was chemotherapy that killed her). The tragedy is that the uncle (bike) and aunt (cancer) were both my mom's siblings. I was very close with my uncle and used to go ride with him when I lived close. Another drunk driver.. this time with no fault to the motorcycle.

Jaybird - thank you my recent friend.

Losing this type of person dredged up memories of one we lost here. A beautiful soul, a great man, and taken too young. R.I.P. Dusty aka WickedFast - you are never forgotten.

#6 ·
So sorry about the loss of your friend RR.....absolutely awful friend:crap:

Sabotage, I remember when you lost your sister, another awful situation, I hope you both can come to eventual peace and move forward....i am aging gracefully but the losses come more frequently as you get older in and outside your inner circle...my thoughts are with you both......

#8 ·
Sabotage, I remember when you lost your sister, another awful situation, I hope you both can come to eventual peace and move forward....i am aging gracefully but the losses come more frequently as you get older in and outside your inner circle...my thoughts are with you both......
It's just so hard to move on to a place where you're at peace. Reading this thread almost brought tears to my eyes. I feel so sad for what this family is going through. I don't even know them and I want to just hug them to help them channel some of the pain The natural progression of death feels nothing like. I lost my grandmother that I was close with earlier this year and I was fine; it feels nothing like this. I go to the cemetery, where my sister is buried, and look at the graves and so far I've only been able to find four graves with young people that departed this world. Most of the deceased have lived a long life. It's just so sad, that's why my original post was geared mostly to the young. To remind them what happens to their family. The pain is just incredible. Stay safe people and follow motorcycle safety...

#9 ·
Agreed, the sting seems more painful when the life lost is a young one with so far to go. It is only compounded by the fact that, yet again, an irresponsible and drunk driver was mostly at-fault. I went to the spot where she died last night. It was hard to do; to say goodbye to yet another friend. It makes it seem so much more-real to see all the police markings (and knowing what they mean) and the makeshift memorial at the road-side placed there by her motorcycle-family.

R.I.P. Jennifer Morgan Fram

#10 ·
I'm sorry for the loss RR. I can't stress enough to focus on the good times, laughs, love shared and thoughts that you have for those passed that you have locked in your head. Please don't try remember how they passed away or why. It doesn't make a damn bit of difference at the end of the day. Talk to friends and family, there is no better source of comfort than those that are close to you.
Regards,
Jay

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.