Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

Totaled her. CBR954

11K views 49 replies 20 participants last post by  954Kevin 
#1 · (Edited)
Another 954 gone to stupidity and being young and reckless.
It was just and ordinary Sunday afternoon, coming home from the gym. I was only about a mile away from home when I wrecked. I was coming into a left curve in the road too hot, and lost my focus and composure as I was going over the railroad tracks that are in the curve. At about 50-60mph I target fixated real hard into a curb and then bam!! I hit it hard. I take this road everyday, so I don't know what got into me this time, maybe just some bad luck or over-confidence Im thinking. Well the next thing I remember is laying on the ground as the first responders were cutting off my clothes. I wear my gear 90% of the time, but going to the gym about 3 miles from home, I decided not to. Oh well, you live and you learn. Im kinda glad I don't remember hitting the ground or breaking my bones.
I get to the hospital and after my CT scan they determined I broke my scapula, dislocated my big toe pretty bad, closed hemorrhage of brain, bruised lung, partial lung collapse, and fractured my vertebrae in 4 spots. I was in the hospital for 6 days. Lesson learned. ATGATT.
My bike broke into two pieces. The front end just snapped off from the triple tree. Lower and upper. Im glad I stayed in one piece.

Here are some pics...
Im thinking of rebuilding her. Looking on ebay, parts are relatively inexpensive. My only concern is if the engine runs. I cant test it out because there is a lot of mangled wiring. Looking at the bike, do you think its worth it? Maybe I can turn it into a street fighter.
I cant asses the ful damage right now as I cant bend over/lift heavy objects. Maybe in a couple months when I fully heal I can see whats realy wrong. Hopefully my dad does not junk it by then lol.
Before

After

Me being me, even in pain

Thanks for reading. Hopefully I can start riding again soon.

See less See more
#3 ·
*ugh* glad you're upright an able to type!

I say junk it and start over...

...so do you have a gaugepod for sale? how about that seat?

too soon?
Thanks. This happened on Nov 6, so after 10 days I'd say I'm healing pretty well. Its good to be young.

Lol, if I do junk it I will definitely have some parts to sell. It maybe a little to soon right now, as Im unable to do any labor my self.

#8 ·
Thanks for the kind words guys. After some thinking, I will probably just part out the bike. Even though parts are cheap, I need a lot of them to fix my bike. Once I heal up I will post a part out thread or just dismantle the bike myself and sell them separately.

#9 · (Edited)
Wow, that was a rough one. Glad to hear you're on the mend. I admire how you analyzed the crash, and accepted blame rather than trying to pass it off as bad road conditions or tires or an ill-handling bike as many others do. Target fixation can get you, it was one of the first lessons my dad, who raced, tried to teach me as a kid. Complacency is another one that can get anyone, anytime and not only on bikes. I haven't mentioned it on here until now, but I lost a friend about 3 weeks ago on his way to work. We work together, so I found out from one of our pilots minutes after it happened. I'm not going to jack our thread by going into details, but I would say complacency was a contributing factor. The best thing we can do is learn from our mistakes, thank God you are still able to. The positive attitude you are approaching it with is no doubt helping. Best wishes for a speedy recovery!

BTW, where in Cali are you?

Reactions: MrPickwick
#13 ·
:welcome: great looking 954.......uh, PRIOR to the "off" OMG that's just not right, looking at her in "half" on the floor like that. Kinda gives me the shivers. Glad your recovering. She will never be the same if you try to rebuild her. Get another one, start fresh. And try not to eat it on a clean road by your house that you've traveled on several times a day for the last how many years ;)

#15 ·
haha thanks man. I dont think I can buy a sport bike again for the sake of my parents and friends. I just go to crazy on them, like going 130+ everyday on the way to work. Especially when i put to gopro on my helmet, Im just more crazy. I will probably end up on a cruiser or dual sport, or maybe something more upright like a FZ.

#21 ·
Yeah, you'll have a few cobwebs on the brain for the next few rides. Take your time, ride within your ability, and understand the inclination to fixate will come back from time to time. When I had my first oh-shitt moment a few months after my off, I caught myself trying to fixate on where a crash would end up. I had to consciously tell myself - DONT look over there, focus on your line!!! It still happens from time to time, but so far, so good.

No more offs, ok? :)

#39 ·
Good to see you're on the mend. I guess you weren't wearing a crash helmet either? Lucky man.

Regarding choice of bike for the future, you can kill yourself on all of them. The problem is not the type of bike, the problem is inside your head - with respect. I've struggled with this a lot, the constant need to get a buzz from every single ride. I would suggest that you get another sports bike (anything else will feel like sh1t) , but take it to the track for a few sessions. Get some tuition. And somewhere like Willow springs rather than Laguna Seca (at least, at first). Blowing off steam at a track is a LOT safer than on the road. And that experience will stand you in good stead when you get into unexpected situations on the road. Can't help you if you ride naked though......

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.