Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

Took a Spill at NYST

2K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  Jaybird180 
#1 ·
Story of my crash:

Haven't had a chance to go to the track because of family life. On September 24th, I booked a track day at NYST. Some friends ended up going with me which was really cool. One was a novice (first timer) and one can hang in the expert group. I remained in my intermediate group. This was my first time back to really ride since my fractured collar bone incident with my F2. I went on track last year November after building my Zx6r new track bike, but that was just to make sure the build was sound and to work out any bugs. Well I did the first session with no incidents. A little slow but I was getting to know the track and the bike. The second session came and went with no incidents as well. By the third session, I was starting to get comfortable again. I began to push. On T6, on lap two, that is when it all went wrong. Everything felt so good but it still went bad. The good news is this time it was a low side and no damage to me. While approaching the apex, I recall trail braking towards it. Now this is where I am not too sure what happened. The front washed out from under me so either I had too much trail braking at the apex or I gave too much gas a hair too early on the apex. All I know is I went down right at the apex of the turn. All I recall was everything was good then I was sliding on my stomach. The bike fell on it's left side. When I stopped tumbling after I went into the grass, I got up to see the bike on it's right side. I did that thing professional racers do when they run to the bike and throw their hands up in the air to communicate with God, asking why, then I walked away. I gave the flaggers a thumbs up to let them know I was ok and waited by the tire wall until the session ended. Beside scratches, sliders grinding out, and a busted rearsets, the left side did not have any further damage. When I lifted the bike, the right side did not fare as well. The handle bar was broken, the fairing was busted, the brakes had no pressure and was leaking, my carbon fiber frame cover was scratched, the notorious tank dent was now a badge of honor for all to see. My bike was then towed to the entrance of the field and dumped off with a look of "good luck" from the towers. Dam it, my camp was all the way on the other side of the field, up the hill. My friends ran to me with the look of concern and I told them, "I'm good, this is a track bike and I was pushing it, it happens." So we then push the bike back to camp where I assessed the damage and begin putting her back together. It was lunch time so I worked through lunch and missed the forth session. I was ready for the fifth but I was so tired, I took that time to relax and get ready for the last two sessions of the day. The sixth and seventh session went good. I was fast but didn't push too hard to risk another crash. All in all, my heart is a little broken that all the work I put into this bike and it looks like **** after it's first real track day outing, but I feel good that I crashed and didn't get hurt so that fear of getting hurt while pushing has kind of left my mind; as if the collar bone incident was just a fluke. You do not get hurt every time you go down. I want the bike to look ok so I'm at the process right now of ordering the misc. parts to get the bike not looking like we have a Cinderella step child relationship going on

See less See more
#3 ·
Thanks for the invite, not like I have a track bike that wants to beaten on. :twofing:

So other than the spill, what was your take on the track? I’ve heard nothing but good things about it. 5th gear front straight?

Glad you fared better on the off, and well done getting it back in shape to finish out the day :thumb:

#4 ·
LOL, that's right, you officially got bit by the track bug... NYST reminds me of NJMP, very fun track to ride. While I was there, I thought to myself why am I not coming here more often? I actually decided to go to NYST two days before I went. My friends and I booked for NJMP but we didn't pay early enough and they sold out. NYST had space so we booked and went there. I left the Saturday afternoon and was able to find the last room available in the area 30 minutes away. Even with the crash it was a great day...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.