Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

The good the bad & the ugly

42K views 55 replies 41 participants last post by  Ronin807 
#1 ·
It's a sad fact that laying down your pride and joy is part of life for motorcycle owners. If you walk away from it ok then at least you can repair your bike and get back with the program. No matter how badly you crash chances are someone has done a better job of it than you.. I thought we could try a specific section on the site so that we could examine what we could have done, should have done, or could not aviod. How did our saftey gear help us? How hard and how expensive were the repairs and getting back in the saddle? The fireblades "oopps I dropped it" support channel is now live.

Attachments

See less See more
#33 ·
I think the use of correct riding gear is a big thing...the few stories shared have shown that the gear helped them live to see and ride another day.

The story like Hondasrule shared, while very sad, could probably have been avoided if speeds where kept in check. We can get hurt pretty bad crashing at these speeds at track even with good runoff areas, gravel traps, air fences and medical staff on site.....so doing high speeds on public roads, alone, with dangers like utility poles, guard rails/fences, and other cars is too risky and hurts the ones they leave behind.

Stay safe and be smart out there...just remember Rossi takes every precaution as he rides eventhough he is the best rider out there so we should do the same.

#34 ·
Seems like every time I was hurt was when I decided that I had my 2 wheeled beast mastered. We have all heard it and acknowledge it, but don't practice it. We have all done it; beautiful day, good riding, get complacent, OOPS..... either we or somebody else does something stupid and if we are lucky, our day is totalled. When I started riding, I thought that anyone who did not pay attention was really stupid, then IT happened to me and my whole acting and reacting changed. Then you get paranoid about riding and then when you do start riding again, you are sure everybody is out to get you. I was told at about this time that a day riding carefully and slowly is still better than a day in a cage. Got to keep vigilant, ALWAYS

#35 ·
Ive only been riding for 1 year on the road, but i use my bike every day to travel to and from work, about 60km each day.

I definatly rode way too hard when i first got my road licence (coming from a dirtbike background) and though i had a few close calls, the first accident i had was unavoidable.

I was coming down a street behind a hatchback, when a van reversed out of a concealed drive way, the lady driving the hatchback instantly slammed her brakes on and slid into the back of the van. I had a split second to react and i braked as hard as i could, the bike went down and slid into the rear of the car. All superficial injury for me, bit of gravelrash and skin missing from my hands, very sore leg (bike landed on my leg). I managed to pull myself up onto the bike and off the road for a split second before the impact and that saved alot of gravel rash. My bike was pretty trashed, fairings busted, rearset and pegs busted, headlights and dash smashed in, big gouges on engine bloc, brake lever broken off etc..
When i got up off the road i realized there was smashed concrete dust all over the road and little pebbles from a construction site.
This crash made me realize how quickly a situation can change, and was a real eye opener for me, completely changed my attitude to riding on the road.

The second was a few months later and is an embarassing story, but ill tell it anyway.
i was mucking round with a few guys from work in a industrial parking lot.
just being stupid, trying to be tricky. My funds werent good at the time and i let my maintance slide on my bike. the rear pads were f**t but i didnt realize just how bad they were until after this crash.
I was caining around the lot, tapped my rear brake for a little rear slide and it locked on, i lost control and whipped the bike and went over the handle bars and hit a brick wall. I had just repaired my bike and from the damage from the last accident (minus brake pads..) by myself and this time i really screwed the bike. dented tank, smashed up front end dash, dented rim. again i walked away with no major injurys. spent a few days in bed unable to move round much. really hammerd my right knee elbow and shoulder, as i hit the wall on the full (airborne). everyone who was there thought i had broken my collarbone at the very least. i was very lucky.
This taught me two things:
maintain your bike, and dont risk yourself or your bike just for the sake of showing off.. probably two things everyone here knows, but i learnt the hard way.

And although they cost me alot of cash those two incidents probably saved me serious injury or death. i sumtimes think back at some of the stuff i did and cant believe i did it, i was really reckless and stupid..
doing 90km between backed up cars leading to an intersection springs to mind.

#44 ·
first off..my heart goes out to each and every one of you that has wrecked...or gonna wreck !!..yes..you will..no way around it..if you ride..your gonna bite that bullet. moving along..my story goes like this..in '07..i came into a pretty nice 1983 honda vt750c shadow..needed alottttttt of work..parts was the hardest getting..after a year or so on ebay..friends..i got my bike back together...now..i wasn't fixing it up to ride..although i can ride !..but..it was to sell..and make some cash. anyway..i got a call on the bike..the guy was on his way to come look at it..and buy it if it was a good deal. well..i road out of my drive way..( keep in mind..no insurance..no tags ! )..to run it around my block..to make sure it road good..and no problems, well..i got aboutttttt a 1/4 mile from my house...and these stupid ppl around here park thier cars in the street..as i was going down my hill..a car came around a corner..and there was a parked car on my right....for some unknown reason..i had a choice..hit the parked car ??..hit the car comming head on ??..or go left into someones yard...i choose the yard..oh..and i wasn't wearing a helmet !!...i went left into the yard..and out of no where..up pops a brick mail box..yeah..nothing like slapping a brick mail box @ 40 mph !...i tried to stand up..that did not go far..that's when i looked down at my leg's..and seen my left leg completly broken through...i musta passed out from shock or something..i woke up in the hospital..after a 12 hours surgery..two weeks in there..1/4 mill bill...i never even wanted to look at another motor cycle. fast forward: '10..gas was going up..i decided to ride again..but with a much smaller bike..sooooo..i baught me a '86 honda 250 rebel..perfect size..super on gas..i got back into ridding..yes..like any of you ppl..i was scared to death to get back on a bike..not because of the bike..but it's whats out there that were scared of that hurts us..and yes..some ppl are new to ridding..and they have to learn what to do..and what not to do !..anyway..needless to say..after 3 years sinse my wreck..i'm back on a bike..and still ridding..i just do it alittle slower..and really ..REALLY WATCH AROUND ME !..ride safe ppl !

#46 · (Edited)
In Kansas there is no helmet law, nor do I believe there should be. But they are still a great idea. Without violating hippa... i ran a patient who crashed low speed that had they been wearing their helmet they could have walked out he hospital in a few hours but they may not make it. Prayers are with them and just wish people could learn from other peoples mistakes. just a slow hit to the pavement cant kill you.

#47 ·
Just thought I'd re-post what this thread is all about..(mainly as I forgot):smilebig:

It's a sad fact that laying down your pride and joy is part of life for motorcycle owners. If you walk away from it ok then at least you can repair your bike and get back with the program. No matter how badly you crash chances are someone has done a better job of it than you.. I thought we could try a specific section on the site so that we could examine what we could have done, should have done, or could not aviod. How did our saftey gear help us? How hard and how expensive were the repairs and getting back in the saddle? The fireblades "oopps I dropped it" support channel is now live.

#48 ·
I've always had a one piece set of leathers and a good quality helmet, the leathers have saved my skin from a couple of 30-40mph lowsides that would have taken my skin off.

I always fit R&G crash protectors to the frame, front & rear axles which have also kept repair costs to under £250 to put it perfect again. I love my bike and my skin but have no qualms about pushing my bike to the limit of my capability, I go through a pair of knee sliders every year and normally 2 rear tyres and a front.

I don't understand people who ride in shorts and t-shirts, even if i'm just popping down the shops I'll at least put my timberland boots on and my Dainase leather Jacket. (Helmet and gloves go without saying)

#55 · (Edited)
It's undeniably true's that setting out your unparalleled delight is important for life for bike proprietors. In the event that you leave it alright, essentially you can fix your bicycle and get back with the program. Best SARMs For Sale In 2022 Regardless of how severely you crash odds are somebody has improved of it than you.. I figured we could give a particular area a shot the site so we could inspect what we might have done, ought to have done, or couldn't aviod. How did our saftey gear help us? How hard and how costly were the fixes and getting ready to take care of business? The fireblades "oopps I dropped it" support channel is presently live.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.