Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

The good the bad & the ugly

42K views 55 replies 41 participants last post by  Ronin807 
#1 ·
It's a sad fact that laying down your pride and joy is part of life for motorcycle owners. If you walk away from it ok then at least you can repair your bike and get back with the program. No matter how badly you crash chances are someone has done a better job of it than you.. I thought we could try a specific section on the site so that we could examine what we could have done, should have done, or could not aviod. How did our saftey gear help us? How hard and how expensive were the repairs and getting back in the saddle? The fireblades "oopps I dropped it" support channel is now live.

Attachments

See less See more
#6 ·
Please forgive me boys, if this dont fit here. I just keep thinking about this lately and it came back to me now again.

It's one of the unwritten law of af racing. You dont talk about a crashes. But ...

I've had a pretty bad crash. 6 different places on my body. They ware talking about cutting my leg off too - to make the story short. Well my family didn't allow it, so the doctors did their best.
Now, almost 2 years after, I still hurt a bit, but I walk, I ride, I look like nothing ever happened to me.
But I just cant find the old me. I'm aither drunk from pills or alcohol, or pissy at everybody around me. I can act walking straight for couple minutes but I cant act a happy mood for a too long - another way to desribe it.

The reason to bother you with this? Im surre there is milions guys and girls like me out there. Worse then me. Who are still fighting AND WINNING their "races". Id like to get some inspirations from you guys.

Please, let me know.

#49 ·
back in '94 i was at dade city, fl motocross track going over a table top. my throttle stuck in 4th gear, when i launched it seemed as though everything stopped. my thought was to throw the bike away or land on it. i chose to toss it. when i opened my eyes, i could see my left arm broken, and wrist dislocated. l reached down and felt my right femur was broken and my hip also. it ended my off road racing but i still can ride on the street. i decided not to look back and think about what i should have done or if i had stayed home that night. i accept the pain, the plates, screws and rod in my femur.
i still ride and am happy for that. don't look back and think about what happened, look ahead and appreciate what i have.

#7 ·
mostecak:bitchslap: .

Now that THAT is over. Yes, there are millions of you out there. So you fake alot. OK that is normal. All you need to do in order to find yourself is to go out and find the reasons you where respected. That is what made you.
But it is only one of the parts of you.
The REASON you are lost is because You have NO respect for YOURSELF.

What I really find interesting is how people seemingly can change over night.
Forgetting what they pride themselfs for there whole lives...
Confused?
YOU ARE A RIDER. YOU ONCE WHERE ABLE TO ADAPT TO ANYTHING.
So since one of your bodily functions got differenciated a bit you became a stranger?
You are still you, only different in a small way, yes-yes, your whole life is affected by this. But does this make you a weakling? NO NO NO NEVER.
If you can ride you can adapt, so you can still do anything.
I pray that this helped you into the right direction.
Bikers for Bikers
:highclap:

#12 ·
Hi, I am new to motorcycling in general, i've been riding for about 4 months now, and i've noticed and felt much more confident about my skill on my bike and the mindset that i have created while riding, attentive, quick, agile, and in the zone. But I think that even with a good attitude and a good opinion of yourself you still have to commit to the truth that riding a motorcycle is inherently dangerous, and anything that can and might happen to you is possible, and you have to live in that zen appreciation of that fact, every minute you are out there riding.

I haven't been involved in an accident, but a couple of weeks ago, i did drop my bike. It was something so stupid and careless and small, but it had a great impact on my appreciation for what it is i'm sitting on top of, and the lessons it can impart.

I was in a grocery store parking lot, waiting for my girlfriend to run in and get something, one of the few times she is riding on the bike with me, and i had parked facing in a parking spot. When she came out, we both got on the bike, and i just backed it up power walking a bit in reverse, and then foolishly turned my wheel all the way to the right, to make a little half circle and then be on my way. I neglected to realize how different the weight is when you have someone else on the bike, and I wasnt giving it enough throttle to make a good escape at that angle, and I started to tip to my left with my lady on the back. I tried to give it more throttle and lean in the opposite direction to right it self, but i kind of futzed it and ended up just reversing my tilt until the point that i dropped to the ground on the bike, taking my girlfriend down with me.

My injuries and those of my girlfriend were minor, a little scrape on my knee and shin and a slightly swollen knee, and she had a little tini tiny scrape on her elbow, but I couldn't help feeling like less of a person, a moron, an idiot, shaken, unskilled and not myself. And more importantly it whammed home the responsibility that you carry while someone else is on the bike, how your decisions, either wise and conscientious or reckless and wanton, can decide the fate of yourself, and someone you care about.

I felt all this afterwards, and felt like i had ruined something for myself and my relationship to bike and lady, feeling like the romance of that life had just been literally dropped from everything, and said basically as much to my girlfriend, expecting a reprimand or at least a hell ya you idiot! but what i got back from her was something like this, " yea, well, it wasn't the smartest thing, but now you know one more thing about riding, and now you can see to it that you don't make the same mistake twice." And since then we still go riding, albeit a little more wary, but better for it.

And I realized that this is part of the essence of riding a motorcycle. Its a learning curve. The more you ride, hopefully, the more you learn, and if you keep that in mind, although sometimes the risks can seem overwhelming, or the prices you pay too much for some of the consequences that come with it, they are worth it in the end for the things riding can teach you. I know this might sound a little over dramatic, but It was stuck in my head and i thought i might share my thoughts.

#13 ·
Hi guys,

I live and work in Seoul, South Korea and recently lost a dear friend to a motorcycle accident. He was hit by a bus at an intersection near the area where we live.

He was just twenty-five years old and one of the happiest people I've ever known. He was an elementary school teacher and he will be missed by his students, friends and colleagues.

It was a not so gentle reminder of how short and precious life really is. When I was reading some of the posts, it reminded me of John and the need to be absolutely on alert when approaching an intersection. When people have to make decisions without much thinking (like intersections) is where most accidents happen. He was hit by a bus running a red light. Please be careful out there!

I ride a 95 CBR900RR out here and riding can get a bit treacherous when the traffic gets heavy - which is almost all the time in Seoul.

#14 ·
Hi guys,

I live and work in Seoul, South Korea and recently lost a dear friend to a motorcycle accident. He was hit by a bus at an intersection near the area where we live.

He was just twenty-five years old and one of the happiest people I've ever known. He was an elementary school teacher and he will be missed by his students, friends and colleagues.

It was a not so gentle reminder of how short and precious life really is. When I was reading some of the posts, it reminded me of John and the need to be absolutely on alert when approaching an intersection. When people have to make decisions without much thinking (like intersections) is where most accidents happen. He was hit by a bus running a red light. Please be careful out there!

I ride a 95 CBR900RR out here and riding can get a bit treacherous when the traffic gets heavy - which is almost all the time in Seoul.
Im sorry to hear about that, my thoughts go to you, his family and the people he has left behind.

#15 ·
riding home from work about 5 years ago some twat in a beamer pulled out in front of me without looking and gave me no chance.my bike was totaled and i was in hospital for a while just internal bruising[BIG,BIG,BIG dent in my tank].i stopped riding for a long time [i use to ride dailly]but my mates just kept ribbing me until i rode again.it wasnt my first crash but it hurt the most body and pride.like to thank j and mat for everything .i learnt fast if you drop it get back on dont bottle it.ride safe

#16 ·
i was coming onto Interstate 95 from a long round on ramp and i hit an oil slick in the turn and highsided off the bike doing about 25 infront of my buddy.VERY Embarrassing,my friend and fellow motorists stopped to help me pick up my bike out of the grass and asked if i was okay because my whole arm and leg were rashed up..but now everytime i ride i'm always really afraid to corner now..so its actually normal to feel like you have no pride after an accident? -sigh- thank god

:crap: i hope it goes away soon

#17 ·
but now everytime i ride i'm always really afraid to corner now..so its actually normal to feel like you have no pride after an accident? -sigh- thank god

:crap: i hope it goes away soon
Its something a lot of riders get after crashes, you will have to ask yourself, what could you have done... It wasn't your fault, so you shouldn't blame yourself.

It will take time to get over, but you need to build your confidence up... Good luck and stay safe :thumb:

#20 ·
well this is kinda real old but showing off for girls will bite ure butt as well when i was in collage back in 1987 i went to leave the school on my bike back then a yamaha 400 maxium it was frezzing cold that morning and had rained while i was in class and i forgot about therain part when i went to lunch weell i saw a bunchof the girls out side so i tore out of the lott and had to make a left turn about 100 ft down road and it came right out from underme quite embressing it bent the shifter so had to idle back to the shop auto and repair that had a bunch of studnts laughing there butts off me

#23 ·
Dropped the blade on a corner in July, we both went down the road with bike on my leg, parted company but she came back and hit me again summersaulting me into a fence post, speed about a ton. Bike a right off, me heavy damage to right ribcage and some damage to right knee.
To keep with the thread, Helmet saved my head as I smashed into road several times, knee slider saved my knee from getting rubbed into mush, boots saved my foot and leg from serious injury also back protector saved my spine. I was also wearing a one piece racing suit.
I have to reiterate the theme here that good gear is imperative, its really worth a spending a little more.
I have got back up on the new bike fairly quickly but I must admit right hand bends still give me the jitters but my confidence is coming back slowly.

MOSTECAK:
You have to remember that you now have started a new journey, your no less a person than you were just different, we all change through our lives, some of us its visible but to most of us its not. I cant do things now that I used to 20 years ago but if I keep longing to be able to do them again then I will miss all the good things in my life now. Good luck to the new you.

#24 ·
I have a few stories for you...... FIrst off I raced for a few years while i wa in the military, due to operational commitments i was only able to make make 6 races in 2 years. I have yet to lay a bike down on the track during a race or track day...... Now to the interesting parts.....

Aug 2002
I had my 2002 F4i in pristine condition then one morning I pulled up to an intersection where there was quite a bit of dirt all the way through it. I came to a complete stop and continued through the interection. After slowly starting off and figuring I was out of harm I leaned and gave some throttle. The sand had spread lightly through the intersection where it wasnt really visible. Long story short....... low side at 15mph.

Nov 2003
New one..... Went down to pick up a friend who had the weekend off from manuevers in the military academy. On the way back to my house (3 hrs away) I had to stop to refuel. We got the fuel and were getting back on the interstate goin through a 270 degree clover and i was only going the allowed speed limit for cars (had i been by myself it had been much faster) hit a patch of oil or sand, or maybe she leaned a little too far, not quite sure, but hte bike lowsides from under us at about 30mph. It came to settle in the big triangle between flowing and merging traffic. Thankfully it stopped there or it would have been a massive interstate shutdown for a while. I gave her my leather jacket and was wearing a thick sweater. My right elbow was ground to the bone and she had a few scratches off her knees. When we first got up i asked if she was alright. As a true biker she looks at me and says at the same time.... "Is the bike ok?"

July 2005
Ok F4i rod bearings go out so the bike is down and I borrow a friend's wife's GXR-600. Taking a group from the base through the curves I used to live was absolutely wonderful. Here is the yahoo map. banning, ca to idyllwild, ca

http://maps.yahoo.com/;_ylc=X3oDMTExNmIycG51BF9TAzI3MTYxNDkEc2VjA2ZwLWJ1dHRvbgRzbGsDbGluaw--#mvt=m&lat=33.835765&lon=-116.79535&zoom=12&q1=banning%2C%20ca&q2=idyllwild%2C%20ca

we get up to Idyllwild and sit down for a great lunch and a couple of hte guy are commenting on how the ride was so nice. Halfway up there is a natural spring fountain to get some water. So then comes the waitress we order our food and keep talking our sea stories about riding. One of them looks me dead in the eye and says, "That was an awesome ride.", interjects the waitress, "Until you hit the gravel...." Great way to jinx an entire ride. On the way back down I am in the lead and carving some great lines with no traiffic holding us up and the other 6 riders in tow. ONe guy comes up on my side during a straightaway saying that one of them dropped their bike. I flip around and head back up to check on it and he already has his bike on the road and is doing ok. He dropped his bike beacuase of an $80 ipod. Now i try to get back in my groove, come around a corner and the rear brake locks. I keep the wheel straight to let it settle and am heading right into the oncoming traffic lane along with the guard rail. Tire lets off and go to lean hard into the curve to get back on my side of the road and guess what..... GRAVEL!!!! Layed the bike down about a 60 mph lowside and it slid along the guard rail. I was wearing my leather jacket, jeans, boots, gaunlets, and of course a helmet. Got one heckuva razberry on my hip and a my jacket sleeve was shredded, but the bike was ridable and I was alive.

The finale....
May 2008

2005 CBR600RR

On my way to work, which is only 12 miles from my house, I passed by an apt complex fire on the right hand side of the road. Doing everything correct, I slowed down, moved to the left lane so I was visible to emergency vehicles or traffic coming out. Got half a block from the situation and began to accelerate and I hear a screeching tire on my left. I watched a small red car turn in front of me and thought, "This is going to hurt." Propped myself up on the pegs o i could clear over the car instead of hitting the frame and got some frequent flyer miles. Once I had made sure I finished moving I stood up and walked to the side of the road yelling obscenities at the lady and picking my bachpack up on the way. Seeing as there were enough people who saw the accident and were dialing 9-1-1, I called people at work to cover my shift. Inside the ambulance I started laughing hysterically and they thought I was going into shock. When they asked me why I was laughing I told them, "My buddy's bike just got paid off!" I was purchasing the CBR from a friend of mine. After all was said and done my ankle were severely sprained and I had broken my left wrist. Took two months to walk again without moonboots. My Left radiu has a plate and my left ulna is permanently out of place. I am currently rebuilding the engine on the F4i, again, also rebuilding a 954 I purchased from a friend of mine. As soon as those are running, I am back on two wheels.

In every instance I have been down proper gear has saved my skin/life. Wear it and live by it. My family lives in Florida where there is no helmet law. I will never ride without gear no matter short the ride up the road to the store or on a long trip with friends.

Stephen Helton

#26 ·
dont mean to retract from the great stories and bless all of you hurt or have lost someone.

the last pic of the stunter on his back im beting hes wishing he had worn some gear. it wont always save your life but you never know just how much it will help and maybe even make the difference.

ride safe guys

#27 ·
dont mean to retract from the great stories and bless all of you hurt or have lost someone.

the last pic of the stunter on his back im beting hes wishing he had worn some gear. it wont always save your life but you never know just how much it will help and maybe even make the difference.

ride safe guys

That is a snap shot from a guy on youtube. The bike hits him in the face, head hits the floor and he knocks himself out cold. Don't know how serious it was other than that.

#28 · (Edited)
In sept. 06 I was hit by a deer on my RR, Damn thing jumped off the bank on a blind corner, Damn near cut her in half at about 40 MPH. Damage to bike was bent forks trashed upper cowl and all right side body work, Tore front M/C clean off trashed the exhaust and the right bar dented my frame and tank. Tore off front fender and right foot peg and smashed RH kill switch and throttle, Damage to me was minor rash on right elbow. Because I burned through my jacket just above the armor. Bruised my whole right side and had a gash from my right knee to my ankle a half inch deep from deer hoof and a concussion, All I can say is my gear and helmet saved my butt. It was a bit embarrasing as the highway patrol pulled up while I was kicking the crap out of the dead deer

On a seperate note Jan. 04 10 days before my best friends 40th Bday, He went off the road on his highly modified GSXR750 at 130 MPH jumped a ditch and went through a barb wire fence. Dave and I had raced this rode several times well over 100 mph, He went off on a slight RH corner. We had made this corner at 140 ish in the past with no issues, Long story short. He laid on the side of the rural road for 7 hours before anyone found him, His bike hit that fence so hard that a steel t post put a dent in the frame below the tank and it must have flipped about 10 times it was over 100 ft off the road in a plowed field. The only thing I can think of that caused the accident was rain and his low gears, Rest in peace my brother you are sorely missed. I forgot to mention he was one of the most talented riders I have ever seen, The pics were taken after the police finally released the bike to me. The family wanted it destroyed, So I had it done
Jim

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.