Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

Messed up F4i

4K views 20 replies 6 participants last post by  Dblock55 
#1 ·
I purchased a 2002 f4i recently and today as i was driving home from school (only 2 blocks away from home) some guy in a nissan quest ran a stop sign and cut me rite off... i hit him around the front passenger side door (shotgun)... i dont have picks because i was rushed to the hospital unnecesarily..... im fine all i have is rash on my hip all my gear protected me.... the bike on the other hand is not so great... ill try ot get soem piks up soon but the whole front end is smashed :crap: the fork is bent, the lights are gone, mirrors, basically the whoel front peice is out with all electrical cables and whatnot.... the sides are miraculously untouched!!!!!! the best part about this is that the guy that blew the stop sign fled the scene!!!! F*cking a$%$ole.. someone down the block got his plate though which is good... judging by what i said do you guys think the bike is totaled? will his insurance cover the repair or will mine have to? Pix will be up soon

#4 ·
If the front end is as bad as you are saying, the frame may have been 'touched' ever so slightly. Therefore insurers are probably going to write her off.

Did the other driver have insurance? What made me say this is that he fled the scene - why? If he was in the wrong i.e. by running the red light, the insurers should either repair the bike (doubt it) or pay you the book value.

#5 ·
If the front end is as bad as you are saying, the frame may have been 'touched' ever so slightly. Therefore insurers are probably going to write her off.

Did the other driver have insurance? What made me say this is that he fled the scene - why? If he was in the wrong i.e. by running the red light, the insurers should either repair the bike (doubt it) or pay you the book value.
The thing is the bike didnt hit the car going at any tremendous speed. I was goign about 15mph and low sided and the bike slid into the car.... im going to see the bike tomorow so i will tell u the exact damage but from what my friend told me (he went to see it after the accident) is that the forks are a little bent... granted hes no motorcycle finatic, he doesnt even own one but if he says theyre bent they probably are...... but it must be so slightly bent because of the speeds invovled... the other drive was an idiot and detectives have not yet done anythign.... thx nypd....they said theyd call me back tomorow.. i will post more info and pix when i get it

#7 ·
JUst picked the bike up today... i dont think its totalled and doesnt look like the forks are bent, but you guys probably could spot it better than me. Let me know what you think and if its totalled and if not how much $$ im looking at spending to fix

Personal protective equipment Yellow Hard hat Diving equipment Costume

Land vehicle Vehicle Motor vehicle Yellow Motorcycle

Vehicle Yellow Motor vehicle Automotive tire Motorcycle

Yellow Vehicle

Yellow Personal protective equipment Vehicle

Auto part Yellow Vehicle Engine Suspension part

Vehicle Auto part Odometer Font Gauge

#8 ·
JUst picked the bike up today... i dont think its totalled and doesnt look like the forks are bent, but you guys probably could spot it better than me. Let me know what you think and if its totalled and if not how much $$ im looking at spending to fix
Impossible to tell if they're bent from photos.
You need to drop them out and roll them.
Looks pretty good to me really.
Make a list of everything that needs replacing and price it all up online.
Ron Ayres or BikeBandit have fiches.

#11 ·
So ive done a whole bunch of stuff, chekced the forks, removed all the wreckage and ordered all of the replacement parts. One thing concerns me though, the bike wont start. At first the bank angle sensor wasnt connected so i figured that was it so i connected it and the bike still wont start. I checked all the fuses and they all work. I thought that maybe the bank angle sensor had broken so i set up a bipass, but the bike still wont start. When you turn the red switch to the on position the pump does not start. My speedo is completely broken and im thinking that maybe that is causing the problem, i guess i will c when the new speedo comes.... does anyone know if the speedo has anything to do with the bike not runnign the pump/not starting?

#12 ·
You can check the BAS by checking for continuity between vertical and horizontal.
I know the 929 runs fine without instruments but no idea about the F4.
Is there power at the battery and do you get any lights? Batteries can break inside in a crash.
Also check the fuel pump relay.

#13 ·
THe BAS works fine, i used a meter to measure the ohm when you tilt it over to the side and its all good. The lights do go on when you turn the power on and like i said i checked all the fuses with the meter and only the headlight didtn work, which i replaced. The only thing i can think of is the speedo, or like you said a relay somewhere..... but how easily are those things broken and where exactly is the feul pump relay located? THanks for all of your help btw

#14 ·
I don't think relays are all that easy to break but they can burn out I guess.
I'd think it more likely that the connector would come loose or a wire be broken. I'm not familiar with the F4i but I'd expect it's probably around the battery or possibly near the headlight.
Do you have a manual?
You need to check at the connector to see if power is getting to the relay.
Since the damage appears to be concentrated around the headlight area I'd suggest thoroughly examining all the wiring and connectors at the front of the bike - especially the right switchgear.

#15 ·
I will do that... perhaps some wires were janked out of their clips along the way to the battery because the wires in the front did take some damage and were ripped out of their clips too.... i just dont want all the parts to get here put the bike together only to have it not work....

#16 ·
Six years ago I had to sort out a VT250 with some minor crash damage and I eventually discovered a single broken wire (kill switch wire of course) inside an undamaged sheath in the wiring to the right switchgear. Somehow the sheath had been whacked hard enough to completely break the wire with no obvious damage to show it. I only found it after hours of searching and backtracking with a multi-meter.

#17 ·
I feel your pain, i had the same situation in my car. Someone crashed into the front bumper when it was parked and the thing wouldnt start. I spent about a week with the F*$(#ng multi-meter just to find out that the power harness to the engine bay had beeen every so slightly disconected...... how frustrating, hopefully this is not another repeat of that, but bike has a lot less wires lol

#21 ·
Thanks everyone for your help and advice..... good news, i have fixed the problem :) . After a few hours of soldering and a lot of beer I figured out that the problem was not in the relay, the pump, or the BAC. One of the ground cables to the pump relay was cut. THe bike starts up nice, so nice to hear her after such long time of silence. Upper cowl (last peice) should come in this week!!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.