Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

Young inexperienced rider

17K views 106 replies 38 participants last post by  feelfree 
#1 ·
Hey guys my first ever post on this website.
I am a 19 years old kid with desire to go fast. Had a zxr250 for my first bike. Rode that for about 5 months. Just finished my last year 12 exam, couldn't wait to get home and reward myself with some riding. went too fast around the bend. panicked hit the curb. No major damages.
Lesson: ( don't get too excited when riding. shove up your emotions in ur riding boots :p)

So i just bought an 07 CBR1000RR. I dont want to crash it. I will respect that machine. will always be doing speed limits.
as there are many more experienced riders here, Is there anything i need to know, to ride a 1000cc straight after a 250. in particular the Fireblade.
I would dearly appreciate your advice :)

Taza

#55 ·
Take your time, invest in training, show some restraint and you will be fine.

One of my riding buddies has an 08 CBR1K and it is his first bike. No dramas so far.

This learning experience will be governed by what is between your ears, and seeing as you were open enough to raise the subject in the first place it sounds like you have the right frame of mind to take on this enjoyable challenge.

Good luck and ride safe, your ride looks great :thumb:

#58 ·
thats allright mate.
yeah we do have safety courses courses here, to get your license you need to do one obviously.
i live in outer suburbs full of nice roads, motorcycle deaths have risen by 37% from this time last year. so the council was offering free motorcycle safety courses for all the riders in the area for about 3 weeks.
so yeah there are plenty of them courses around.

#67 ·
in all honesty..it's not the bike...it's the rider that is gonna make..or break you !..get some training bro..jumping from a 250..to a 1k bike...well..lets just say..that big jump is gonna cost you your bike..some other's life..or all of the above. please..by all means..get some training..you won't regret it !.

#68 ·
I'm 6' 2" and when I took my endorsement training class, those tiny 250cc Kawasaki Eliminators felt like circus bikes to me. I've logged about 5,000 miles since April after I took the class. I feel confident to ride my larger bike in any traffic situation, practicing all the time. It's an old V65 100HP bike, not too much to handle.
I didn't know how much more power the CBR1000rr has, but it sounds like it's quite the animal from reading the reaction of everyone posting to downsize. Wiki says 178.0 hp (133 kW) @ 12,000 rpm
82.6 lbf·ft (112.0 N·m) @ 8,500 rpm
Attitude and respect for the road, is what it takes regardless of what bike is between your legs but THIS bike is capable of hurting you severely if you make a mistake with the throttle or clutch. Instead of that 250cc stalling or bucking a little, this CBR1000rr will throw you off in a heart beat.
You can screw up "panic stopping" and hit a curb with anything because the issue is your riding limitations, not the bike. Seeing that was a recent issue, reveals some hep with basics that training resolves. TAKE A CLASS! Don't push the 1k bike (and you will) until you know your limits and the bikes limits. I learn more every day but wouldn't feel ready for a CBR anything.

#71 ·
bottom line..no matter how many miles we get on our bikes..no matter what bike we ride..were never too old to learn !!..we will find oursleves in that '' gonna have to brake on this '' momment..and maybe freak out..maybe not ??..point is..there is always gonna be that time and place..when we least expect it..and the unexpected happends...i surely would not wanna be on a big bike..after ridding a smaller one..and havign this time happen...yes..i'v been there..after 250 thousand dollar hospital bill..and two weeks in there..i was scared chitless of bikes....and to this day..i still get very concerned when i ride..even on my 250 rebel...it's not me i'm worried about..it's that other driver that i worry about !..and when i get on my v65 vf110c..yer damn right i worry..that is alotttttt of bike for my 5'-11'' 140 lbs azz..lol..soo..best advice i can give you..go slow..watch around you..wear your helmet always !!..take a course or two..get some ridding under your belt..and you should be fine..like others have stated..don't act a fool..if you do..your gonna pay the fools price..or worse..someone else will.

#74 ·
Guys i just wanna Say how much i appreciate your advice. It means a lot to me, they are all very sensible words and YES! i have taken them all to account. It has made me aware of the situation that i am in.
I have started reading "twist of the wrist" it has helped me alot.
i have booked in for a advanced training course this sunday, as i 'just' got off power restrictions on my license.

so from tomorrow i am legally allowed to ride it, with a green P plates stuck under the no. plates. the day after that i will be doing a training session. Hopefully that will help me a lot, still there is plenty to learn out therrrrreeeeeeeeee....

once again i dearly appreciate all your advice.
Ride safe :)

#85 ·
My first bike was a two stroke 500 when I was 17. Folks said I was nuts and the bike was too big. I rode for three years and then took the next 17 years off. In 2007 I bought a 929. Had a low speed get off on the 929 when a nutter in a car tried to kill me. In my opinion it's not the size of the bike it's the mentality of the rider. I am in control of my bike, I decide exactly how to behave in every situation. I always have a safety margin to compensate for the road, debris and other drivers. Never took the course, although I would still like to.

If you have self control, strong self preservation instinct and riding talent, you will probably be ok. If you lack any of these things you will most likely die.

#88 ·
the only reason I'm ending with the current 1krr is when I crashed my 600, i was so itching to be on 2 wheels again, and I can't find any 600 that I want in my price range(they're overprice), and the 600 I want are out of my price range lol
and yes after my 1krr, I'll go back to a 600 again.

my only advice to you is don't let it get to your head, because with that much power, it will absolutely corrupt you, and beside, stupid *does* hurt, alot too

#91 ·
In my opinion all the training and responsibility in the world won't take the place of sheer time on the road. I had a ninja ex500 for 3 years before I picked up a VMAX1200 which I had for a season, then I finally picked up a 06 Fireblade. Also not being an ass here but the fact that you didn't feel a difference between a 250 and a 600 is a red flag to me. I had put well over 5000 miles in on my 500 before I even locked my rear tire up for the first time. A superbike course or any course for that matter cannot prepare you for the raging beast that is a litre bike. If you stay on the 1000 just don't become a statistic. The average lifespan of an 18 to 24 yearold buying a 1000cc is 6 months. Be very careful, I wish you luck.

#98 · (Edited)
I'm My first street bike was a 06 1000RR and like you I had two. Wheel experience but none of it compairs to the power. I like the cbr. Cuz I'm not on my tip toes at the light and when I walked into the shop with a stack at $100's the dude made me a sweet offer so I took it and let me tell you I am ****ing irresponsible. First thing I did was lose all the BS on the back and threw away the temp. Tag. Spring 06 and a Brand new 06 missle and since I paid in full in cash I didn't need full coverage. The 4th or 5 the day I had it I was ripping outta my neighbourhood and a Mexican lawn boy backed out in the road and instead of hit him I went off the road and ****ing no one filmed my near miss of a sign. Thank god I hit head first cuz my helmet took most of the initiative Impact . I don't know how fast I was going but it had to be over 40 it felt like 90! No broken bones but a busted bike...see pic!! I got home and Immediately decided full coverage might be a good idea. Since then I've only had a few minor incidents. But if I had to go back I would get a 1000RR again!! It won't take long cuz either you'll learn or die! And no one believes you when u say ur obeying to the speed limit!! Just don't be like me and ride with no tag or motorcycle licence. I refuse to stop for. The law and as a result I learned how to paint! In fact I'm actually ready to upgrade! Any recommendations?

Attachments

#99 ·
I was 14,got my first 150,thought it was the fstest thing on earth then my friend bougt this 250 and wow that thing was fast compared to my sluggish 150 so i got some bigger jets and rejetted it and bore some holes the airfilter box.i was fastest but not as fast as his 250 so i bought my dads vtr 250 and wow what a difference i rode that thing like i was on a track lol . . .bought a gsxf 400 after that which was **** but hey it was a 400 so it was a little faster so i learned some track riding on it without some course you go and learn.got a fzr 400 3tj after that that came of the track i just put some headlights on and brake lights and etc . .. I was 17 at that time and with that fzr i got my first knee down around a corner which felt awesome!!sold that bike after a couple monts and got a fzr 1000 holy **** that thing was fast i knew i could die instantly on it if im not carefull so i was very careful.never rode that bike like i did the other never went over speed limits or anything.i rode that bike for about a year and got comfortable with it and then i sold it to buy my cbr 600f2 and to my surprise i rode that thing like i was on a damn track every day it was lighter than the 1000 and way more revs to play with and turned like a champ i was ripping through corners with that thing and why?cuz i got to learn to ride a 1000 and got comfortable with it.if you think a 600 is underrated and is not much of a difference between a 250 your mistaken.learn to ride your 1000 for a year or so,sell it and buy a 600 i can guarantee you will be much faster on a 600 than you ever was on that 1000.my dad recently bought a 919 and he said i should take it for a test drive around the block i came around the corner dragging knee on that thing,i stopped infront of my house were my dad was standing waiting for me and he said "i dont think your my kid,your meant for the track not the street like us squids" lol.i am 21 now.i still ride safe and responsible no matter what .

#101 ·
Yep trust me going from a 1000 to a 600 is worth it .. . .and all 600's are badass man.get yourself a R6 or 600R then zoop it up with a high flow are filter and an aftermarket exhaust and finish it of with a power commander,my bike still has carbs so i need a jet kit but yeah you get the point.

#103 ·
I forgot about the triples gunk,come to think of it i dont really like anything with less than 4 cylinders and 16 valves:smilebig: but hey its a 600 . .. And i completely agree with you on the 200 hp thing

#106 · (Edited)
sure hope so! Just doesnt add up ..19..barely no experience..complains a 600 is too similar to a 250..and gets a 1000??

to quote the late hans solo.." i got a bad feeling about this.."

IMHO depending on your age/size..125/250/400/600 ( non super sports 400/600) is plenty for a learner.
even a 250 2 stroke rgv, RS id steer learners miles away from - way to quick.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.