Young inexperienced rider - Page 5 - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Wrecked Motorcycle Photos & Stories This section of the site is for wrecked motorcycles. Photos of wrecked bikes, before and after photos. How you wrecked it & how you fixed it. Most of us have laid it down or lost it for one reason or another. Tell your stories here.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #61 of 107 Old 07-14-2011, 3:21 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 165

Re: Young inexperienced rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by FB1000inPA View Post
Let me bug you a little more...
Who is the council and who conducts the courses? I am interested in what the curriculum looks like. Is it for new or experienced riders or are there two different courses offered?
I would like to know what's available over there too - I hope to need it one day! I've done some internet searches but not found much so far.

By the way FB - what training do you provide? Just interested.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 107 Old 07-14-2011, 7:51 AM

Reputation Power: 162

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerous Des View Post
I would like to know what's available over there too - I hope to need it one day! I've done some internet searches but not found much so far.

By the way FB - what training do you provide? Just interested.
Basic and Experienced training, meaning brand spanking new riders (never riden before) or riders with some experience.

5 hours class room and 10 hours (2x5) range for the beginners with knowledge and skills tests. If they pass I license them. And 6 hours experienced range with a skills test as well to get licensed.

All under the umbrella of the Motorcycle Safety Foundation. Motorcycle Safety Foundation
I have to tell you, the guys at MSF know what they are doing. The curriculum is well planned and thought through and here is the best, they constantly change and update to make it better for the students.

"Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici"
post #63 of 107 Old 07-15-2011, 9:38 AM

Reputation Power: 165

Quote:
Originally Posted by FB1000inPA View Post
Basic and Experienced training, meaning brand spanking new riders (never riden before) or riders with some experience.

5 hours class room and 10 hours (2x5) range for the beginners with knowledge and skills tests. If they pass I license them. And 6 hours experienced range with a skills test as well to get licensed.

All under the umbrella of the Motorcycle Safety Foundation. Motorcycle Safety Foundation
I have to tell you, the guys at MSF know what they are doing. The curriculum is well planned and thought through and here is the best, they constantly change and update to make it better for the students.
Looks like they offer a fair few courses. I guess they are all based on some sort of Advanced riding? Over here the vast majority of courses are based on the Police roadcraft system.

I've done some training, which I think has been well worth it. I didn't fancy going down the route of Observer training myself, at least not at the moment. The group I was a member of were pretty dull tbh, not a great advert for training at all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 107 Old 07-15-2011, 9:57 AM

Reputation Power: 162

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerous Des View Post
Looks like they offer a fair few courses. I guess they are all based on some sort of Advanced riding?
It depends on the state contract with MSF. In PA we offer the basic and the experienced one. The basic is for folks that never rode a bike.

"Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici"
post #65 of 107 Old 07-15-2011, 3:22 PM

Reputation Power: 0

Sheesh. What possessed you to jump from a 250 to a liter? A 600cc is plenty for the street, especially if it's your first supersport.

Last edited by bladeracer; 11-13-2012 at 7:25 AM. Reason: Spammer scum
post #66 of 107 Old 07-19-2011, 2:36 PM

Reputation Power: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by HondaFace View Post
Sheesh. What possessed you to jump from a 250 to a liter? A 600cc is plenty for the street, especially if it's your first supersport.
Its like going from a Toyota Corrolla to a Corvette ZR1.
post #67 of 107 Old 07-20-2011, 1:08 PM

in all honesty..it's not the bike...it's the rider that is gonna make..or break you !..get some training bro..jumping from a 250..to a 1k bike...well..lets just say..that big jump is gonna cost you your bike..some other's life..or all of the above. please..by all means..get some training..you won't regret it !.
post #68 of 107 Old 07-21-2011, 11:39 PM
V65

I'm 6' 2" and when I took my endorsement training class, those tiny 250cc Kawasaki Eliminators felt like circus bikes to me. I've logged about 5,000 miles since April after I took the class. I feel confident to ride my larger bike in any traffic situation, practicing all the time. It's an old V65 100HP bike, not too much to handle.
I didn't know how much more power the CBR1000rr has, but it sounds like it's quite the animal from reading the reaction of everyone posting to downsize. Wiki says 178.0 hp (133 kW) @ 12,000 rpm
82.6 lbfft (112.0 Nm) @ 8,500 rpm
Attitude and respect for the road, is what it takes regardless of what bike is between your legs but THIS bike is capable of hurting you severely if you make a mistake with the throttle or clutch. Instead of that 250cc stalling or bucking a little, this CBR1000rr will throw you off in a heart beat.
You can screw up "panic stopping" and hit a curb with anything because the issue is your riding limitations, not the bike. Seeing that was a recent issue, reveals some hep with basics that training resolves. TAKE A CLASS! Don't push the 1k bike (and you will) until you know your limits and the bikes limits. I learn more every day but wouldn't feel ready for a CBR anything.
post #69 of 107 Old 07-22-2011, 12:53 AM

Reputation Power: 153

Quote:
Originally Posted by young red View Post
I really don't see what the big deal is. I have zero ride time. I jumped on my 900 hit 3 expressways and rode over 40 miles to work as soon as I put the tag on. Personally, I feel like you can ride any size bike as long as you respect it and be extremely careful. Ride with in your means. Don't act like you can ride when you know you can't. I got past by a female rider with heels on. That was a downer u ride that thing good luck!!!
It doesn't take balls to ride beautifully.

My advice for the young lad is to keep your ego in check. Don't let female riders intimidate you. heeheeKidding.

I agree that it's not the bike in this case, it's the rider.
- Take the course and practice, practice practice.
- Don't let peer pressure with group rides get you out of your comfort zone.

And stay WAAAAYYY farther back than you need to until you can pull off a CONTROLLED emergency stop if necessary. Swerving out of danger is great but sometime accidents happen when the driver sees you at the last second, panics and hits their brakes - you can swerve right into them. Better to learn to trust and control those mighty brakes.

Good luck, ride safe, full gear ALL THE TIME and remember you're still so young, you've got years ahead of you to get everything just right - take it slow.

Then when you're feeling up to the task, take it to the track, that's the only place to speed.
post #70 of 107 Old 07-22-2011, 12:58 AM
V65

Quote:
Originally Posted by my1st1000 View Post
I have been riding bikes since i was a kid, i pretty much grew up riding bikes and crashing them. so i am not that bad at it lol
I test rode many 600's before buying this. the gsxr600 k6, and the 08 r6, they are amazing bikes, but i did not feel a major difference between them 600's and my old 250!!
if i was to get a 600 i would get bored of it in 2months and had to upgrade again. They are too revy, they sit on 6500 rpm on freeway speed, which is not very comfortable.
i will go do a superbike course, i should be fine after that!
I missed this, good plan.
post #71 of 107 Old 07-22-2011, 1:10 AM

bottom line..no matter how many miles we get on our bikes..no matter what bike we ride..were never too old to learn !!..we will find oursleves in that '' gonna have to brake on this '' momment..and maybe freak out..maybe not ??..point is..there is always gonna be that time and place..when we least expect it..and the unexpected happends...i surely would not wanna be on a big bike..after ridding a smaller one..and havign this time happen...yes..i'v been there..after 250 thousand dollar hospital bill..and two weeks in there..i was scared chitless of bikes....and to this day..i still get very concerned when i ride..even on my 250 rebel...it's not me i'm worried about..it's that other driver that i worry about !..and when i get on my v65 vf110c..yer damn right i worry..that is alotttttt of bike for my 5'-11'' 140 lbs azz..lol..soo..best advice i can give you..go slow..watch around you..wear your helmet always !!..take a course or two..get some ridding under your belt..and you should be fine..like others have stated..don't act a fool..if you do..your gonna pay the fools price..or worse..someone else will.
post #72 of 107 Old 07-22-2011, 2:04 AM
V65

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadetree View Post
my 250 rebel...when i get on my v65 vf110c.
If Rebel made a sport bike....or if V65 made 110cc?

I would never want to be on a 250cc bike, not even a 500cc bike. They're just this small to me. A 750cc feels like a 250cc feels to you perhaps? You have to know who is riding the bike.

Yamaha makes great 1200cc bikes, and commercials, don't they?

Last edited by V65; 07-22-2011 at 2:12 AM. Reason: Throwing one more shovel of dirt on Shadetree is all.
post #73 of 107 Old 07-22-2011, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by V65 View Post
If Rebel made a sport bike....or if V65 made 110cc?

‪Funny motorcycle commercial with Ghost Rider‬‏ - YouTube

I would never want to be on a 250cc bike, not even a 500cc bike. They're just this small to me. A 750cc feels like a 250cc feels to you perhaps? You have to know who is riding the bike.

Yamaha makes great 1200cc bikes, and commercials, don't they?
throwing dirt eh ??..lmfao..while your 200 lbs azz is filling that gas guzzler up at every gas station...my little rebel is saving all my money for beer 70 miles down that mile....that your big azz bike couldnt make it too..cuz it doesn't get the same mpg as my rebel !..lmfaooooo..don't fret ppl..me and v65 are cool..we speak alot on the phone..kinda like good bud's...that is until i ride his case about that yammy vmax he baught..lmfao.
post #74 of 107 Old 07-22-2011, 11:38 AM Thread Starter

Guys i just wanna Say how much i appreciate your advice. It means a lot to me, they are all very sensible words and YES! i have taken them all to account. It has made me aware of the situation that i am in.
I have started reading "twist of the wrist" it has helped me alot.
i have booked in for a advanced training course this sunday, as i 'just' got off power restrictions on my license.

so from tomorrow i am legally allowed to ride it, with a green P plates stuck under the no. plates. the day after that i will be doing a training session. Hopefully that will help me a lot, still there is plenty to learn out therrrrreeeeeeeeee....

once again i dearly appreciate all your advice.
Ride safe
post #75 of 107 Old 07-22-2011, 1:44 PM
V65

All the best and enjoy that bike, just keep the front tire down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadetree View Post
my little rebel is saving all my money for beer 70 miles down that mile....
Is that how you got set back $250,000 medical....I can see why you're trying to save gas now, but that's 6250 gallons of fuel you're behind me right there.
Ahead 70 miles? Not on any highway because the Rebel 250cc bike can't pass a VW bus on the highway! The 250cc first bike blues got to you and now you have three, (1100cc and 500cc), and if that ain't bad enough you're shopping now for a 700cc bike, because the Rebel is too small, and the V65 is too big. Rebel 250cc bikes are cute, I rarely see them around after training class, which is how long it takes most to outgrow one. Don't fear riding bigger bikes, but for going down a back road or staying in a busy city, if you can fit on a 250cc, it would be all you would need.

Last edited by V65; 07-22-2011 at 4:43 PM.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > General Motorcycling > Wrecked Motorcycle Photos & Stories

Tags
cbr1000rr , first 1000 , inexperienced

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page