Young inexperienced rider - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Wrecked Motorcycle Photos & Stories This section of the site is for wrecked motorcycles. Photos of wrecked bikes, before and after photos. How you wrecked it & how you fixed it. Most of us have laid it down or lost it for one reason or another. Tell your stories here.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 107 Old 07-04-2011, 10:38 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

Young inexperienced rider

Hey guys my first ever post on this website.
I am a 19 years old kid with desire to go fast. Had a zxr250 for my first bike. Rode that for about 5 months. Just finished my last year 12 exam, couldn't wait to get home and reward myself with some riding. went too fast around the bend. panicked hit the curb. No major damages.
Lesson: ( don't get too excited when riding. shove up your emotions in ur riding boots :p)

So i just bought an 07 CBR1000RR. I dont want to crash it. I will respect that machine. will always be doing speed limits.
as there are many more experienced riders here, Is there anything i need to know, to ride a 1000cc straight after a 250. in particular the Fireblade.
I would dearly appreciate your advice

Taza
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 107 Old 07-04-2011, 11:07 AM

Reputation Power: 14

Send a message via AIM to MTXMUGEN
Re: Young inexperienced rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by my1st1000 View Post
I am a 19 years old kid with desire to go fast. Had a zxr250 for my first bike. Rode that for about 5 months. Just finished my last year 12 exam, couldn't wait to get home and reward myself with some riding. went too fast around the bend. panicked hit the curb. No major damages.
Lesson: ( don't get too excited when riding. shove up your emotions in ur riding boots :p)

So i just bought an 07 CBR1000RR. I dont want to crash it. I will respect that machine. will always be doing speed limits.
as there are many more experienced riders here, Is there anything i need to know, to ride a 1000cc straight after a 250. in particular the Fireblade.

Taza
first thing to remember is the 1000rr is over 3x the engine, with a much more snappy clutch, and a far more sensitive throttle. unlike that 250, if you tell it to go, it will go, with or without you! its very easy to get in trouble with them.

5 months on a 250 just isnt enough practice to get on a litre bike in my opinion. even for someone that has been on a 250 for a few seasons, jumping to a 1000 would be absolutely absurd IMO. they are just too different in almost every way. my advise is to put the 1000rr away and get a 600 before getting on that 1000. inexpirence+litre bike = BAD
post #3 of 107 Old 07-04-2011, 11:41 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 98

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTXMUGEN View Post
first thing to remember is the 1000rr is over 3x the engine, with a much more snappy clutch, and a far more sensitive throttle. unlike that 250, if you tell it to go, it will go, with or without you! its very easy to get in trouble with them.

5 months on a 250 just isnt enough practice to get on a litre bike in my opinion. even for someone that has been on a 250 for a few seasons, jumping to a 1000 would be absolutely absurd IMO. they are just too different in almost every way. my advise is to put the 1000rr away and get a 600 before getting on that 1000. inexpirence+litre bike = BAD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 107 Old 07-04-2011, 11:50 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 98

Judging by the fact that you voice your inexperience is a very good indicator of your responsibility level for a young man.

Having said that, a 1000rr is a strong machine that requires experience, no if ands or buts, it is a litre bike that can get out of control quickly, the CBR line is the most forgiving in this class but still extremely tempermental.

Without sounding like an old Grandpa I have been riding bikes for 23 years, the last ten on my 929, I just rode the 1000rr two weeks ago because I am going to upgrade and it took me a few minutes to realize the twitchiness of the bike, please be careful, there is a fantastic book called Proficient Motorcycling that you should read, it is the most comprehensive book of its kind I have read and it will be instrumental in helping you keep the rubber down

Take care
post #5 of 107 Old 07-04-2011, 12:05 PM

Reputation Power: 54

With many years of experience, I can tell you that the 1K is a monster compared to a 250. I know that when I went from 1100 Cruiser to an 1800 cruiser it was a huge upgrade. Even going from the 1800 cruiser getting my first Sport bike (94 900) it was a huge change, and a whole difference in machines. My advice to you is sit up on the tank, and be careful.
Welcome to the org.
post #6 of 107 Old 07-04-2011, 12:23 PM

Reputation Power: 165

Invest in some training.
post #7 of 107 Old 07-04-2011, 12:52 PM

Reputation Power: 11

Did you ever take the class for bikes? if you havent really recomanded. And if not just take ur time and go slowly, don't out do yourself. Trust me theres plenty of time to go around for that
post #8 of 107 Old 07-04-2011, 1:03 PM

Reputation Power: 13

Quote:

: plus1:

Sell or garage it untill you get some experience on at least a 600, dont know about you guys but the way he asks this makes me think hes some squid messin with us as I dont see someone inexperienced as he says he is wiping out on a 250 and thinking the solution to that is to go get a heavier and faster machine, none the less a 1000
post #9 of 107 Old 07-04-2011, 1:05 PM

Reputation Power: 13

Quote:

So i just bought an 07 CBR1000RR. I dont want to crash it. I will respect that machine. MAYBE.... will always be doing speed limits.

Taza
post #10 of 107 Old 07-04-2011, 1:26 PM
Global Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 229

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98cbr9rr View Post
: plus1:

Sell or garage it untill you get some experience on at least a 600, dont know about you guys but the way he asks this makes me think hes some squid messin with us as I dont see someone inexperienced as he says he is wiping out on a 250 and thinking the solution to that is to go get a heavier and faster machine, none the less a 1000

I crashed my first 250 (which I bought new) in a big highside within the first weeks of owning it and I went on to crash it many more times while learning to ride hard. At the end of that year I bought a CB1100F which I also crashed several times before moving onto a string of GSXR750's and crashing all of those as well. Crashing is no reason to stop learning to ride. For me riding is about looking for and finding the limits of my abilities so I can improve them.

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
post #11 of 107 Old 07-04-2011, 1:38 PM

Reputation Power: 290

Send a message via MSN to setanta

Quote:

Irish's Blog Page
Hate this Skin
Assalam-o-Alaikum
post #12 of 107 Old 07-04-2011, 3:14 PM

Reputation Power: 10

Quote:
I am a 19 years old kid with desire to go fast.
Taza
I jumped from a 1980 cb900c to a '06 blade, which is quite a difference. My blade is only my second bike. I would recommend being extremely careful for the first couple of months and not doing anything stupid, ie racing, stunting, letting your friends ride it, etc. Be aware of your limitations and do not get happy with the throttle. The desire to go fast will get you in a lot of trouble on the streets.

If you are extremely responsible with no tickets, accidents, or other run-ins with the law then I would say you will be fine with the bike. If you like to go fast and disobey the rules then garage it and get a 600 or less. Wear your gear and take a training course as well, as these will go a long way in keeping you alive.

BTW, I'm only 18, but am extremely responsible, have a perfect driving record, have held the same job for three years, and graduated valedictorian of my class. In other words I'm responsible and respect the bike and my life. Do the same and you'll be fine.
post #13 of 107 Old 07-04-2011, 3:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerous Des View Post
Invest in some training.
i agree... there is loads of extra training that you can get, advanced rider courses etc that will help you improve your riding skill. but for now
just be sensible and always ride to your own ability.
post #14 of 107 Old 07-04-2011, 5:26 PM

Reputation Power: 290

Send a message via MSN to setanta

Quote:
Originally Posted by zamazz10 View Post

BTW, I'm only 18, but am extremely responsible, have a perfect driving record, have held the same job for three years, and graduated valedictorian of my class. In other words I'm responsible and respect the bike and my life. Do the same and you'll be fine.

Irish's Blog Page
Hate this Skin
Assalam-o-Alaikum
post #15 of 107 Old 07-04-2011, 8:50 PM Thread Starter

Quote:

my advise is to put the 1000rr away and get a 600 before getting on that 1000. inexpirence+litre bike = BAD
your advice makes sense to me in EVERY single way. I test rode many bikes (08 R6, GSXR750, GSXR600, GSXR1000) before buying this, I did not notice much of a difference between my 250 and the 600's, they sit on high revs, which i can't live with as i will be doing freeway km's mostly to get to uni. The 750 was the ideal bike for me to go for, they are all really expensive, yes i can afford it but my mind says that bike is not worth that much ($10,000.00 AU) for a k8
So i went and got this, it was a good deal, and with the insane look of the bike, there was no way on earth that i could refuse it

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > General Motorcycling > Wrecked Motorcycle Photos & Stories

Tags
cbr1000rr , first 1000 , inexperienced

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page