2009 R1 heat exhaust-ion - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Yamaha Motorcycles Discussion of Yamaha Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 04-03-2009, 2:36 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 13

2009 R1 heat exhaust-ion

OK I finally gotz to ride my friends 2009 R1 after he said that he could not take the heat anymore.

I said to him how bad can it be, well its bad folks. It was a hot day to start with but even the heat did not make my 04 fireblade overheat or feel hot around the legs.

SO anyone here heard of the immense heat eminating from the exhausts just below the crotch and under leg area? Trust me when i say its really really hot.

His bike when we stopped was 120 degrees and mine was 91 degrees. His FZ1 also seemed to run about 5 degrees and more hotter than my fireblade.

SO anyone heard about the leg warming experience? I mean the R1 is mostly a MotoGP inspired bike but hey Yamaha cant expect people to cook their eggs while going on a breakfast run.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 04-03-2009, 2:38 PM Thread Starter

Re: 2009 R1 heat exhaust-ion

OH just have to say, even though he is still running in the bike and had it on B mode selection, the V-inspired engine gives one a false expression of the real speed and pull. THe bike handles like a MotoGP bike thats for sure. The riding position even feels cramped yet comfortable.
post #3 of 6 Old 04-03-2009, 4:44 PM
Global Moderator

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 270

Send a message via Skype™ to macca9540

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wurn View Post
OK I finally gotz to ride my friends 2009 R1 after he said that he could not take the heat anymore.

I said to him how bad can it be, well its bad folks. It was a hot day to start with but even the heat did not make my 04 fireblade overheat or feel hot around the legs.

SO anyone here heard of the immense heat eminating from the exhausts just below the crotch and under leg area? Trust me when i say its really really hot.

His bike when we stopped was 120 degrees and mine was 91 degrees. His FZ1 also seemed to run about 5 degrees and more hotter than my fireblade.

SO anyone heard about the leg warming experience? I mean the R1 is mostly a MotoGP inspired bike but hey Yamaha cant expect people to cook their eggs while going on a breakfast run.
They say the same thing about the heat from the 09 in a road test done by AMCN magazine. It's going to be murder riding it over here in summer then.

I was young and stupid then. I'm old and stupid now.
We get too soon old, and too late smart.
I started off with nothing and still have most of it left.
A closed mouth gathers no feet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 04-04-2009, 9:24 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 16

I bet that will cook some people riding. That is the big drawback on undertail exhaust, burning the rider. In all fairness this bike as well as most other sportbikes, are designed to race on a track for 30 to 45 minutes, and not ride in traffic in the middle of summer. They were nice enough to put lights on it to make it road legal, but oven mitts are not included.
post #5 of 6 Old 04-05-2009, 12:26 PM Thread Starter

OK fair enough, its an underseat exhaust system and race bike with blinkers on, but surely then Rossi should have warned them that it heats up. Also why is that the 04-07 blades did not have this problem?

Honestly its a pity cause the bike is awesome to ride IMO. I'll never buy one, cause im a Honda Fanboy, but that is just me.
post #6 of 6 Old 04-05-2009, 5:30 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 16

Unless Rossi rides around testing on public roads, he probably thinks the R1 with undertail pipes is not as warm. He is used to testing and racing the M1, RC211V, or the NSR500 and those bikes put out significantly higher temperatures. For those bikes to put out 230bhp+ the temp will be close to 250 degrees. During the 990cc class Ducati had to basically perferate the front fairing to keep from cooking Loris Capriosi.

Basically with the new emmission regulations with convertors and noise reduction material on the bikes, we will unfortunatly have higher temperatures to deal with, but man these bikes will stuff we didnt think we would see a few years ago. It is cool to see production bikes with race technology out there!!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Other Motorcycle Brands > Yamaha Motorcycles

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page