Need some help - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Yamaha Motorcycles Discussion of Yamaha Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 Old 10-22-2009, 12:27 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

Need some help

Hi I am working on my friends 2008 R6 it has a really weird problem it has 17,000 miles on it and it will not start some times, if you give it throttle you can get it to start but if you do not keep it reved it will just die after it gets warm it will run fine but at cooled starts it just dies and will not start with out throttle.

The dealer told him the valve train needs to be rebuild and this thing sounds great no noise so I think they wanted to sell him an extended warranty.

I hope someone else has had this problem I found the coils out of spec so we replaced them and it ran fine for a little bit but now it's doing the same thing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 10-22-2009, 12:29 PM

Reputation Power: 25

Send a message via AIM to JohnnySpeed954
Re: Need some help

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobflyin View Post
Hi I am working on my friends 2008 R6 it has a really weird problem it has 17,000 miles on it and it will not start some times, if you give it throttle you can get it to start but if you do not keep it reved it will just die after it gets warm it will run fine but at cooled starts it just dies and will not start with out throttle.

The dealer told him the valve train needs to be rebuild and this thing sounds great no noise so I think they wanted to sell him an extended warranty.

I hope someone else has had this problem I found the coils out of spec so we replaced them and it ran fine for a little bit but now it's doing the same thing.
Replaced the plugs yet?

"If you feel you're in control you're not going fast enough" ~ Mario Andretti
post #3 of 14 Old 10-22-2009, 12:36 PM Thread Starter

Yes the dealer said they changed the plugs and air filter, I know the air filter is new because I had to remove it to get the coils out but my Dumb A$$ did not pull the plugs when I had the coils out so I am taking the word of a dealer,

I do know this bike has not been used like it should I don't think he has ever had it over 10,000 RPM I don't know Yamaha's well so I though I would ask.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 Old 10-22-2009, 12:41 PM

I would doubt the head needs to be rebuilt but I'd say it's possible the valves need to be properlly adjusted. I would assume the dealer mentioned that because the bike was in for the schedued maintinence interval? At that milage I believe yamaha calls for a valve check/adjust.

post #5 of 14 Old 10-22-2009, 12:42 PM Thread Starter

Yeah but the last time I check it was not 3000.00 USD to check the valves and or shim the valves.
post #6 of 14 Old 10-22-2009, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Yeah but the last time I check it was not 3000.00 USD to check the valves and or shim the valves.
$3000.00 USD??????

You could by 2 more motors for that kinda money. If that dealer priced a head rebuild at that you need to find a new shop.

My personal opinion!!

post #7 of 14 Old 10-22-2009, 1:26 PM
Supporting Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 182

Garage

You say the coils were out of speck, replaced them, and later the problem came back? YES! Check the coils again. This doesnt sound right to be throttling it while cold and then when hot, stays lit. Makes me want to ask about over revving it and bending valves. Then most likely it wouldnt even run. Valve adjustment does not effect an engine that drastically, that you would have to keep it throttled while cold. This is sounding more like an electrical problem. Check this bike over for bad connections or loose something relating to fuel and spark.
3000.00 smackers for a valve job/adjustment is also wierd. It probably does need a valve adjustment/check, then as for most bikes, you'll probably find them good, and not need adjustment. One other trick to try; compression test, just to be sure no bent valves exist.
After all this, have a few beers.

If you don't stand for something, then you'll fall for anything. The proverbial "trick", is not to follow anyone elses idea of reality. Be an individual. The future belongs to those who prepare for it.
post #8 of 14 Old 10-22-2009, 1:31 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidmarklong View Post
You say the coils were out of speck, replaced them, and later the problem came back? YES! Check the coils again. This doesnt sound right to be throttling it while cold and then when hot, stays lit. Makes me want to ask about over revving it and bending valves. Then most likely it wouldnt even run. Valve adjustment does not effect an engine that drastically, that you would have to keep it throttled while cold. This is sounding more like an electrical problem. Check this bike over for bad connections or loose something relating to fuel and spark.
3000.00 smackers for a valve job/adjustment is also wierd. It probably does need a valve adjustment/check, then as for most bikes, you'll probably find them good, and not need adjustment. One other trick to try; compression test, just to be sure no bent valves exist.
After all this, have a few beers.
The bike runs perfect some times and it does not always need throttle to start very hit or miss, I have allways owned Honda's so I am not used to this problem but keep the ideas coming something may work.
post #9 of 14 Old 10-22-2009, 1:33 PM
Supporting Member

Garage

Quote:
The bike runs perfect some times and it does not always need throttle to start very hit or miss, I have allways owned Honda's so I am not used to this problem but keep the ideas coming something may work.
Somethings loose. Keep it away from that expensive repair shop.

If you don't stand for something, then you'll fall for anything. The proverbial "trick", is not to follow anyone elses idea of reality. Be an individual. The future belongs to those who prepare for it.
post #10 of 14 Old 10-23-2009, 1:49 PM Thread Starter

So I check the coils again and they are fine I have checked everything as far as plugins and wiring looms, This thing is pissing me off.

maybe to much fuel?
post #11 of 14 Old 10-24-2009, 3:01 AM
Supporting Member

Garage

Need a manual with trouble shooting and a wire diagram. Compression leak down test is also neccessary. Anomaly is going to be something related to fuel and ignition timming. Obviously.
I do not have a manual for this bike. If I did, I would only be a second guess. Best you find one(manual) at your end(location) of this forum. I also dont think I would be any further along than you. Dont give up.
A leak down test will reveal that compression is even across the row of cylinders. This is important to know; because it will illiminate that factor, or tell the condition of this engine. Good compression=then there is no suspition of cause on the engine it self. If you are sure the engine is good then dont bother .
I want to say that you have a bad ECU, you need a trouble shooting tree to determine this. It cold just be a temp related sensor that is causing everything else to act up. Before you start down this road look it up in a manual for that bike. You can probably find it online.

post #12 of 14 Old 10-24-2009, 3:47 AM
Supporting Member

Garage

I found this on a blog, Just type in 2008 R6 in google.
Make sure you dont have these codes. If you do, start your search for information.

R6 Service Manual and Diagnostic codes.
If you get an error indication and a number on the LCD Display, this is what the numbers mean.

11 Cylinder identification sensor failure
12 Crankshaft position sensor failure
13 Intake pressure sensor failure
14 Intake pressure sensor pipeline failure
15 Throttle position sensor wire disconnected or short-circuited
16 Throttle position sensor stuck
21 Water temperature sensor failure
22 Intake temperature sensor failure
23 Atmospheric pressure sensor failure
24 Oxygen sensor failure
30 Lean angle cut-off switch activated
31 Maximum allowable Oxygen sensor correction level exceeded
32 Oxygen sensor correction level too low
41 Lean angle cut-off switch disconnected or short-circuited
42 Vehicle speed sensor or neutral switch failure
43 Monitor voltage -- less than 3v
44 ECU failure

post #13 of 14 Old 10-24-2009, 3:52 AM
Supporting Member

Garage

Take a look at this. An online PDF of a 2008 R6 manual. I think this is the best you can do for yourself. All the questions you may have, should be answered here.
http://www.r6messagenet.com/forums/p...1616-21-61.pdf

post #14 of 14 Old 11-06-2009, 4:09 PM

Reputation Power: 12

I know my honda has a valve on it that pulles the trot open a bit durring cold starts. It is currently out of adjustement and I have the exact same problem. Look for somthing with coolant lines connected to the T Body linkage. if it is cold and not in contact then adjust it. I need to quit being lazy and o the same. I guess after these 12-15 houre work days are over maybe I will.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Other Motorcycle Brands > Yamaha Motorcycles

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page