Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi! :)

I'm wondering if I should buy a used Öhlins rear shock for my 929 posted in the marketplace here on Fireblades.. I have never owned an aftermarket shock before, and I am curious how long they can be used before having to change parts/overhaul/service them. My stock shock has been on the bike for 34000km's now, has a broken rebound adjuster and feels almost worn out... :crap:

The part in question is 18 months old, in great shape, and has seen 14 trackdays (no racing).

Could I buy this, change the spring to suit my weight and expect good performance for more time, or do you think it is ready for a major overhaul already?

Happy for all answers!!

Be safe, and have fun!!

:)

·
Registered
3,549 Posts
For what it's worth, I bought a 2nd hand Ohlins shock for my 954 from an .org member, and couldn't be happier . I felt the difference straight away, even without setting sag or anything else, and frommemory it had done about 5000km (about how many km my orginal shock has on it) I'll be getting it services and checked when I get my forks done (still hoping to find 2nd hand Ohlins forks...). Apart from that, Icouldn;t be happier - and make sure you get the hydraulic pre-load adjuster... it's worth it...
z...

·
Registered
306 Posts
Fire929blade said:
Hi! :)
I'm wondering if I should buy a used Öhlins rear shock for my 929 posted in the marketplace here on Fireblades.. I have never owned an aftermarket shock before, and I am curious how long they can be used before having to change parts/overhaul/service them. My stock shock has been on the bike for 34000km's now, has a broken rebound adjuster and feels almost worn out... :crap:

The part in question is 18 months old, in great shape, and has seen 14 trackdays (no racing).

Could I buy this, change the spring to suit my weight and expect good performance for more time, or do you think it is ready for a major overhaul already?
Dunno about what the shock servicing cost in Norway, but the suspension shop I use charges less than 100 Eur for complete rear shock (WP) service. So if you gonna buy it and respring it you might want to consider having it serviced at the same time, you'll propably get some package pricing.

I'll be doing tons of track days this summer (if the 1000RR and I stay in one piece), I plan to have my suspension (WP factory built front + WP shock) serviced after this season. I've heard way too many stories about how "new oil in forks transformed my bike", to me that sounds like way overdue suspension service.

·
Registered
381 Posts
"I've heard way too many stories about how "new oil in forks transformed my bike", to me that sounds like way overdue suspension service."

I could feel the loss in damping after 5000km with my honda Dominator, then I continued up to 9000km, the damping at the front was pretty seriously down.

At hard use the oil gets bad pretty fast.

JakeT.

joo kanssa suomesta.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts