Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the 'catalogues' there is a slight difference between the öhlins shocks for the929 and the 954. Is this difference a physical differece or is it just a question of the factory setting.

In other words, is the 929 shock usable on a 954 and vice versa?

-N.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Yup. They are visibly different although didn't someone post (quite awhile ago) they got one to work. :huh:

From what I recall, the upper mounts are different. HGToo and I changed our rear shocks as the same time and I recall a noticeable difference between the shocks.

I could take a look at the shocks tonight if you really want to know. What are you looking to do?

·
Registered
10,531 Posts
The mounts on the shocks themselves are the same. You can use a 929 shock on a 954, and vice versa.
The difference is how the shock mounts to the 954. There is a separate piece the shock mounts to that mounts to the bike, allowing ride height changes apart from the shock.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I might be able to get a 929 shock for a bargain price, and I have 954.
I was wondering if it would fit... Without problems...

-N.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Okay, that sounds cool!
What about the adjustments. I somehow got the impression that the 929shock was a little bit shorter or longer. Is that so? Or am I imagining things?
If it is, I assume that it is simple to adjust!?

-N.

·
Registered
10,531 Posts
Piece of cake to adjust. When you take off your stock shock, just measure it up against the Ohlins, and adjust the Ohlins if necessary before putting it on.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
-Thanx a million!

I must admit that I'm still confused about what the actual difference is...
If I understand it correctly, the 954 shock comes with an extra bracket-thing that will allow for separate ride height adjustment, which does not come with the 929 shock, or something?

-N.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Yep, the same. I think the 929 version comes a little shorter (or longer) than the 954 version but it's adjustable so you put it at whatever height you want.

·
Registered
10,531 Posts
The mounting bracket is part of the 954. All Honda did was change the way the shock mounts to the frame by adding one little bracket that mounts to the shock eye before going up through the frame. The bracket allows for ride height adjustment with a stock shock.
There is no difference between the 929 and 954 Ohlins shock bodies. There may be different internal valving, but I'm not sure.

Attached is a pic from the microfiche at RonAyers.com showing the stock 929 and 954 shocks. Note the only difference in the shock bodies is the orientation of the piggyback resevoir - which makes no difference when mounting the Ohlins, as theirs are mounted the same on both.
You can see the bracket that the upper shock eye mounts to before mounting to the frame.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Here is what I've found from the Ohlins webpage:

Öhlins shock absorber
Part No. HO 202
Type 46PRXLS
Length 288 +2/-4 mm
Stroke 57 mm

Öhlins shock absorber
Part No. HO 152
Type 46PRXLS
Length 286 +4/-2 mm
Stroke 57 mm

So the both are adjustable from 284mm to 290mm. It's just that the 929 comes set at 286 while the 954 is set at 288.

I screwed up while ordering mine from Dan K and got the HO 152. I didn't realize it until it was on the bike. And it worked for me.

·
Registered
511 Posts
so the difference between a 929 shock and a 954 shock is going to be a 2mm height change which can be adjusted... i would guess this will hold true for all aftermarket shocks made for the 929.. i just bought a works performance shock on ebay which came off a 929 and am hoping it bolts on my 954 without problem.. i take it i will have to adjust the height 2mm on it??

Northy said:
Here is what I've found from the Ohlins webpage:

Öhlins shock absorber
Part No. HO 202
Type 46PRXLS
Length 288 +2/-4 mm
Stroke 57 mm

Öhlins shock absorber
Part No. HO 152
Type 46PRXLS
Length 286 +4/-2 mm
Stroke 57 mm

So the both are adjustable from 284mm to 290mm. It's just that the 929 comes set at 286 while the 954 is set at 288.

I screwed up while ordering mine from Dan K and got the HO 152. I didn't realize it until it was on the bike. And it worked for me.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts