Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
896 Posts
yes, they dont come standard with it. putting a damper on a bike should be personal preference. most people feel the 954/929 are prone to tank slappers, i rode my bike for 1 month after i bought it with no damper and had no issues, occasional wobble when the front would go light when on the gas but otherwise nothing. if your really smooth on the gas you could get buy without, if your inexperienced id get one cause if your a little choppy with the throttle i could see a slapper in the near future.

·
Registered
845 Posts
Yeah,

Check out the thread homemade damper, it talks about using a gixxer 1000 stock damper. I got mine on and took it off, guess I used not using one.

There are a few threads on this, if I got one it would have to be a topside, and adjustable.

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
I did for about a year, then changed the gearing and decided with the increase in acceleration, a damper wouldnt be a bad idea. I also used a gsxr1000 damper, only til i can afford an adjustable one :thumb:

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info im just trying to decide whether i should buy this bike or not.. i dont have or make alot of money and it does needs a little bit of little things...

·
Registered
896 Posts
is this your first bike? if so not the best choice for a first ride. if you dont know already its a pretty expensive thing to get into. dont forget to set aside money for gear, maintenance, and possible issues down the road. its a 9yr old bike so will probably need new fluids and such. i love mine but i did spend money to change all the fluids, brake lines, and any other consumable including tires...

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
2800 fair. need blinkers,rear seat,headlight and blinker switch the one on the bars,steering damper,front fender i think thats all,it has 27,515 miles

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
not its my 3rd i had a 2000 gsxr srad 750 with a big bore 863 kit,ive got all gear and most the fluids i can do myself.

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
the headlight will be the most expensive necessity. Hold off an a damper, as they are $400+.

Blinkers and switches are cheap from ebay, or parts bikes, and theres always a fender for $50 or so floating around too.

Rear seats are cheap, browse the 'for sale' section here.

the mileage is not bad, unless its a beat up bike in the first place.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
it kinda has the feel of a layed down bike. it does come with an extended swingarm i could sell for all the parts the only other option is an 02 gsxr 750. my last bikes were problems childs and im trying to steer clear of that this time and make a good choice.

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
I love my 929, and shes been down once too. Low sided at about 40 mph, not really a big deal minus my little injury.

What are the stats on the gixxer?

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
wow. Those are some good deals, both of them

does the gixxer have a full exhaust? gloss black paint --> has it been down too?

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
going back to post #8, if the 929 needs all those parts, its probably been down or is a botched project bike.

Common things to fail on the 929 is the exhaust servo, and fuel pressure regulator.

I dont know the 750 well enough to give much insight, other than its a filthy bike.

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
ive played with some gixxers in the twisties and the 750s are beautiful rides.

Im all for people riding the 929, but it kind of sounds like someone was trying to do something that they didnt have full control over and now just want to get rid of it.

Ride both, decide and let us know if you're a fellow blade owner!:popcorn:

1 - 20 of 41 Posts