Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what is the red light to the left of the neutral light? it stays on all the time but it has no emblem on it or anything. im assuming it means trouble. any help would be great.thanks

·
Registered
42 Posts
It is the malfunction indicator lamp (sort of like a check engine light).

The owners manual states:

Lights or flashes when there is any abnormality in
the coolant temperature, engine oil pressure,and/or
PGM-FI (Programmed Fuel lnjection) system. If the
indicator lights or flashes, pull safety to the side of
the road.

You need to get a diag run to find out which problem is causing it. It should only light when you first turn the bike on and then go out once the bike is running

·
Registered
42 Posts
More info from the manual:

The malfunction indicator lamp ( l) lights
when there is any abnormality in the
coolant temperature and/or engine oil
pressure. As this happens the coolant
temperature indicator( 2 ) and/or low oil
pressure indicator ( 3 ) contained in the
information display (5 ) will also go on.

The malfunction indicator lamp also lights
or flashes when there is any abnormality
in the PGM-FI (Programmed Fuel
Injection) system regardless of any other
abnormality.As this happens the pGM-FI
indicator( 4) contained in the information
display will also go on.

So look at the 3 icons above the left turn arrow and see if one of those is lit..

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thats about what i thought it was. i will go see if one of the other lights is staying on with it. i just wasnt sure cause it was a blank light. thank you very much.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
the only light that is on with it is the oil light. i think its on beacause the bike isnt running. my problem is that the bike wont run right now. it keeps blowing the f.i. fuse. every time i turn the key on and flip the kill switch to run it pops. the light wont flash to give me a code or nothing. it just stays solid. do i have to do anything sspecial to make the light flash to give me a trouble code? i just got this bike cheap and am trying to get it running. the guy who sold it to me didnt know anything about anything so thats why i got it so cheap. any more help is greatly appreciated. thank you

·
Registered
42 Posts
Until it is running the light will stay on due to low oil pressure. You need to go in a different direction and find the problem with the FI fuse blowing before you can count on any lights or codes..

Your first post failed to mention that the bike didn't run. The light always stays on until it is running.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Both

Which fuse is blowing ?? What is the rated value. i don't have access to my fuse box right now, but i seem to recall that the fuses under the seat were labeled A thru F.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
its a 20 amp fuse. its the one that attached to the outside of the fusebox. when i first got the bike, it would only pop when i pulled in the clutch, but i traced the clutch thing into the main harness. there was a melted connector thing taped up inside the harness. so i replaced the harness for $350. now i got the new harness in and the clutch problem is gone but it still pops the fuse when the key is on and the kill switch is in the run position. hope that gives you a better view of what i am dealing with. thanks for helping.

·
Registered
42 Posts
From the diagram, it looks like the FI fuse supplies power to the ECU and the Fuel injectors once the start/stop switch is switched on. i would disconnect the fuel injector wiring harness from the main harness and see if the fuse remains intact. If it still blows, try the ECU connection.

Need to isolate which path the excessive current draw is taking.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ok. ive been going over the diagram for a while now. i have unhooked the injector harness. still pops the fuse. i see the fuse also powers the stick coils as well. i have unhooked them as well. fuse still pops. harness is brand new so it cant be shorted internally. if i unhook the ecu it wont pop the fuse but i dont know if its because nothing gets any power at all due to it being unplugged or what. im starting to think there might be a short in the ecu itself. what do you think???????

on a side note, there is no bbank angle sensor on this bike, it has been bypassed by connecting the 2 outside wires (R/w + G) together. is this ok??

·
Registered
42 Posts
Very possibly a short in the ECU. But do check the connectors on the ECU and harness to make sure that there are no bent pins first.

Then, if you have an ohmmeter, measure the resistance on the ECU itself between the pin that connects to the FI fuse and one of the pins that goes to chassis ground.

I could try measuring the same two pins on my ECU to see how they compare this weekend.

I'm hoping for a shorted/bent pin in the harness or ECU . symptom started right after the new harness install.

Did you buy the harness new from the Honda dealer ?/

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
this problem was there before the new harness from the dealer, only it was different. there was a melted component in the old harness.now, it is somewhat better than what it was before except the fuse problem.

i was suspecting the ecu has a short in it, so i unhooked the grey connector from the ecu which has the fused curcuit in it and put my ohm meter from the fused wire(bl/w) to the ground wire (g) in the ecu, and they were connected. so that makes me think that it is shorted internally.

if you would be willing to test your ecu this weekend so we could compare results that would be so great. just let me know what time and if you want me to call you or we could go back and forth in this forum or something. it would probably be easier over the phone but whatever is best for you. i cant thank you enough.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Sounds like a bad ECU..just for the hell of it, I googled the phrase "cbr blows FI fuse" and got a few links to discussion threads on several different CBR forums. In the first three discussions about CBRs that were blowing the FI fuse, all three ended up being a defective ECU.

Check out the classified section and see if anybody is selling a used one...

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
yeah, i found a few on ebay the other day. im just trying to do all i can to verify it is the problem before spending more money. im broke ha ha.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I hear that. I'll still measure the resistance on my ECU Sat or Sun. But, I doubt that I'll see a zero ohm path from the +Battery pin to chassis ground like you did...

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
im really hoping that you wont see a zero ohm path like i did so then ill know for sure. then this problem will be solved and my wife will be off my ass. she is giving me more greif than the bike is. why would you buy a bike that dont work she says. it was a steal i say. then she says the guy stole my money. arghhhhhhh...... shut up [email protected]$%h.....

i really appreciate all your help man. thank you very much......

·
Registered
157 Posts
Check all the connections in your switch housing as well. If any wires are touching the frame/handlebars that may cause your short as well. Good luck electrical problems suck.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts